Bklynracer

NBC's Winter Olympics ratings have ski-jumped straight into the toilet

I've  watched about 1 hours worth. Have been working late, don't have much time.

But really not having a interest this year. Really not sure why, used to really enjoy watching.

Is it people are losing interest because of all the Anti USA rethortic, Really haven't seen any so far.

Or is it a boycott because of China?

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/nbcs-winter-olympics-ratings-ski-035900538.html

I think the biggest thing is streaming. Except for those over 60, there has been a MASSIVE falloff in cable and OTA tv viewership. So odds are if you are under 60, you got over not having access to one or more Olympics already and didn't really miss it. Also along with streaming has come the mindset that you watch things when you want to watch them. They seem to have fixed that this go round, but lots of people have already filed them under annoying in that regard. 

Then you have China hosting again, which kind of feels like a repeat. 

Then there's the fact the winter Olympics is always less watched than the summer Olympics. Combine that with the fact that the summer games got postponed a year, I'm sure for a bunch of people it just felt like the olympics was cancelled and we don't do that thing anymore really. 

Then there's no good story. I'm sure tons of people watched to see if Michael Phelps would win a bajillion gold medals. 

Then there's the fact that sports has been politicized, and people are just about burnt out on political culture war bullshit. The Olympics just seems primed for the bullshit meter to get pegged.  

Then there's the fact hockey has turned into some weird kind of allstars elimination thing because anyone can play for anywhere. 

Also, trying to watch some of it in streaming replays, it's just SOOOOO much filler. When it's not just on in the background, and you try to watch it, and you have a fast forward and reverse button, you realize how much of the presentation is garbage and how much work you are putting in to see what you want. So... bye. 

What drives me away the most is how much time is wasted with absolute nonsense. There’s events going on constantly that can televised yet so much time is wasted with interviews, useless commentary, videos of athletes training, footage of families back home, etc. Seriously I don’t give a shit about how or where you train or what your family thinks. Just show me the damn events ffs. 

• Thanks 1

I agree with many of the comments here... it's overly politicized... overly commercialized... badly covered by the network, etc. There's also been yet another Olympic drug scandal (the young Russian figure skater) and blatant displays of Chinese censorship - all a real downer.

But what's saddest of all (for me) is that our collective declining interest impacts ALL of the athletes, most of whom don't cheat... but rather, they sweat, sacrifice, and suffer to be the very best that they can... the best in the WORLD! It's an almost unfathomable level of dedication required to reach the pinnacle that is the Olympics. And it's a shame that all of the incredible sacrifice on the part of so many athletes is getting "lost in the sauce". I have enjoyed watching the Olympics my entire life... it's been sad to see it in decline. I hope it can be turned around. The Olympic concept is still so brilliant -- and probably needed more than ever in our chaotic world.  

Anyway, it's not ALL doom and gloom! Here's one of the better stories to come out of these Winter Olympic games. Just a simple, classy act of sportsmanship (and dare I say, Olympic spirit?) by a gold medal winner from Finland: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/winter-olympics/finnish-cross-country-skier-wins-gold-watches-rest-of-race-and-waits-to-embrace-last-place-finisher/ar-AATN8ni?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

38 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

And it's a shame that all of the incredible sacrifice on the part of so many athletes is getting "lost in the sauce". I have enjoyed watching the Olympics my entire life... it's been sad to see it in decline.

The Olympics, or rather the IOC, bares a lot of the blame as well.  If even half the reports are true regarding the corruption and level of bribery required to be considered to host the games then the whole organization needs to be dismantled. 

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, voyager9 said:

The Olympics, or rather the IOC, bares a lot of the blame as well.  If even half the reports are true regarding the corruption and level of bribery required to be considered to host the games then the whole organization needs to be dismantled. 

Yes, I couldn't agree more... insightful of you to hone right in on that angle! At the very least, a major house cleaning is certainly in order at the IOC. Even the just-announced decision that the Russian skater who tested positive for drugs will be allowed to go on competing is just... embarrassing! It's a terrible decision and shows a real lack of leadership and institutional values. The people running this show have been tainting everything the Olympics is supposed to stand for over a period of years... very, very sad.

18 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Not to jump the thread or change the Subject, Take IOC out and insert NRA.

9 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I didn't watch one minute of the Olympics. So (heads up guys) I missed this event.

Does penile frostbite happen often in winter sports? | Fox News

I don’t know, but I’m in Kansas on a business trip. It was -2° this morning. I didn’t stick Tex Jr out and chance it.