UnlikelyShooter

First Aero 308 build, Charging handle problem. Help?

Doing my first AR10/308 build, Aero Precision M5E1 upper and lower.  Aero Precision Breach Ambi Large Charging Handle AR308/M5 (APRA700301C) won't fit when I try to install it.  The tabs are too big to fit in the channels.  I thought AP M5 was AP M5 and most AR10's had interchangable charging handles.  It if were shorter I'd throw it in one of my AR15's.  Thinking I might just go for a Radian Raptor Ambi, which part number should I order so I get the right one?   Any help greatly appreciated.

It makes no sense that an AP charging handle won't fit in an AP upper. Something has been manufactured out of spec. Call them.

I have a couple of M5 uppers and the BCM charging handles fit fine, just for reference. If you want to cover shipping both ways I can send you a spare one I have so you can test to see if it is your CH or upper that is out of spec...or we can meet somewhere.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

It makes no sense that an AP charging handle won't fit in an AP upper. Something has been manufactured out of spec. Call them.

I have a couple of M5 uppers and the BCM charging handles fit fine, just for reference. If you want to cover shipping both ways I can send you a spare one I have so you can test to see if it is your CH or upper that is out of spec...or we can meet somewhere.

Thanks for the offer.  I borrowed a buddies charging handle this morning and it didn't fit in either, but mine fit in his M5.  Definitely a manufacturing issue.  Emailed the retailer I bought the upper from, they usually get back to emails within a hour or two.  More than half a day has passed and crickets. :(   If I don't hear from them by tomorrow morning I'll call Aero.  

I hate to ask the obvious, but since you didn't mention it.  Have you visually inspected the charging handle channel to be sure it is free of obstructions.  With the BCG out, all you have to do is flip the receiver upside down,  insert the CH and draw it back to see where the problem is.

Update:  Seller sent new upper and the charging handle fit in it perfectly.  Used a borescope to look at the charging handle channel in the upper receiver and it looks like it wasn't fully cut during the machining process.  Now I just have to wait for NICS so I can pick up my lower and build it.  Thanks to everyone for your input!

make sure you use a v7 308 s7 steel bolt catch.  This may save you a headache later on as aero cuts theirs from a single piece of steel however, the steel may be softer/more brittle than desired given there are numerous reports of the bolt catch breaking.  Most definitely a weak spot in AR10s.  I've only had 1 break in the 6 I built and shot and by shot, I mean thousands of rounds.  I've not had a v7 break yet