1LtCAP

glock 19 with dot

ok.......i wasn't really sure where i should put this, but i figure @Mrs. Peel will put it where it belongs? please?

if you guys remember me looking for the slide for a dot...this one..... 

sooo.....i bought the brownells slide that H.E. had suggested, a brownells parts kit to assemble it, and the holosun 407c with green dot. my eye seems to pick up on green a little better than red. bought a pretty cool barrel and comp from h.e., and put it all together.  installed ameriglow sights for now, and thanks to mrstu for the front sight installation tool!

just came back from the range. this is the third week out with this pistol. she shoots great. i am however finding it a little harder than i'd expected to get used to it.

first week out, while trying to zero it(i zero'd at 10yds), first shot was on the dot, secoond and third, i went back to the irons...didn't realize i did that till that third shot. cleard the gun, put it down for a moment, then got back to it. took me about 15 rounds(was using 3 round groupings, adjusting, repeat/rinse) to get it to where i was happy.

my grouping with this is about the same as with the 92fs on irons, but i can do it slightly faster for now. i had found myself fishing around for the dot the first week, and half of the time last week. by the end of the night, i was picking the dot up much faster.

tonight, no problems picking up the dot. found(with help from a couple of youtube videos that it was much easier to pick the dot up if i positioned the gun so that the dot came down from the 12. tonights drill was to use a silouhette target with bullseyes at center mass, head, and at each corner of the paper. i'd load up mags, then shoot chest/head/corner to corner, and repeat in random order. started slow, got faster. did the same with the 92 on irons. was just as accurate on the irons, but much slower.

overall, i'm liking it. soonz it warms up some, i'll get to an outdoor range in the bright sun to see how it is.

It’s pretty quick, isn’t it? 

I’m enjoying mine. It is hard to get used to the red dot, I do the same thing after the first few rounds, unconsciously switching to the irons. 
I guess I’ve been shooting irons on a pistol for so long I just automatically go to them. 

Practice practice practice 

BDAA950C-8F77-49BD-ADFC-937461AD992C.jpeg

Been playing with some pistol mounted optics lately too.  Sig P226 and Walther PDP.  My P226 RDO is mounted low and co-witnessed so I tend to switch to the irons at times by reflex too...

PDP isn't co-witnessed and it's shooting nice - get quick shots off on target easily.

On 2/17/2022 at 12:00 PM, Krdshrk said:

Been playing with some pistol mounted optics lately too.  Sig P226 and Walther PDP.  My P226 RDO is mounted low and co-witnessed so I tend to switch to the irons at times by reflex too...

PDP isn't co-witnessed and it's shooting nice - get quick shots off on target easily.

i mine isn't co-witnessed. but i have gone back to the irons occasionally. i wanna shoot my ruger that i just got....but with limited time at the range for now, i'm spending it all shooting this to learn the dot.

something else i noticed.........when i'm on the dot, i'm more focused on the target than i am when i'm on the irons....when on the irons, i'm focused on the front sight, with the target being there but blurry.....

27 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

something else i noticed.........when i'm on the dot, i'm more focused on the target than i am when i'm on the irons....when on the irons, i'm focused on the front sight, with the target being there but blurry.....

I noticed exactly the same thing 

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

I noticed exactly the same thing 

Uhhhh…. Guys… come here real quick…
jVcVyna.gif
You’re not going to believe this but….

That’s exactly what you’re supposed to do with the dot. It’s a target focused sighting system - just like a red dot on a rifle. 

The whole benefit of the system is you now have only one focal plane - the target - you know where your eyes are going to be anyway in a DPF situation - locked on the threat.

As opposed to iron sights where you have 3 focal planes to cycle through as your eyes sprint from the target, to the rear sight, to the front sight and repeat ad-naseum.

As to co-witness - you should be able to see your irons through the window, but the dot isn’t necessarily going to be exactly on your front sight if you get a sight picture through your irons. That’s OK.

DO NOT adjust the dot so your dot sits on top of or bisects your front sight.

Your dot should be zeroed separately from your irons.

You should not be lining up your irons and your dot together for your sight picture. Pretend your irons aren’t there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

As to co-witness - you should be able to see your irons through the window, but the dot isn’t necessarily going to be exactly on your front sight if you get a sight picture through your irons. That’s OK.

DO NOT adjust the dot so your dot sits on top of or bisects your front sight.

Your dot should be zeroed separately from your irons.

You should not be lining up your irons and your dot together for your sight picture. Pretend your irons aren’t there.

My dot is right on top of the tip of the irons on my P226.  It has full co-witness sights.  However, I do see enough of the sight that sometimes I will shift my focus - It's a habit I'll have to break.

9 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

My dot is right on top of the tip of the irons on my P226.  It has full co-witness sights.  However, I do see enough of the sight that sometimes I will shift my focus - It's a habit I'll have to break.

You should have to work to make the dot be on your front sight.

By that I mean you should have to raise the pistol, or lower your head, or angle the slide, or somehow alter your shooting position to get everything to line up.

In a normal presentation, the dot should be centered in your window. Your irons should be at the bottom 1/3 (or lower).

If your irons take up 1/2 your window, you have the wrong set of irons and you are defeating the purpose of having the dot in the first place.

Your dot should float above your front sight, but if you line up your irons, it should be *near* your front sight tip with a standard iron sight sight picture.

• Agree 1