SYakoban

First Time Applicant - Background Check Question

Hello - glad to be here!

I'm planning to make my first firearm purchase and ready to apply for a permit. My concern is the section on employment. I just started a new job this week. I don't know how my employer will view me if they get a call from police asking about me - especially if they mention why. My questions are:

1. Do they typically call an employer to verify employment to issue a permit?
  2. How does employment have any relevancy to gun ownership?

Thank you!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SYakoban said:

Do they typically call an employer to verify employment to issue a permit?

I can’t answer this specific question, but… my employer uses a third party service to verify employment.  Making the request costs money.   I stated such on the application and still received the permit.  

6 hours ago, SYakoban said:

How does employment have any relevancy to gun ownership?

It doesn't.  It’s another hoop to jump through that has no basis on safety.  

In general, being "gainfully employed" helps argue you are a decent individual.

On the surface, validating your employment and supplying personal references might seem to confirm your decency. However, as mentioned, the whole process is designed to annoy you. The NICS check already confirms if you have dangerous criminal history.

It's hard to say what your PD's detectives will do. I work for a multi-national company based in a red state. My immediate team is quite anti-gun and I never noticed any change in their behavior, so they probably never heard the request.

I have heard anecdotes of police discussing the interest in guns with employers, but it is not common. If you work for a large company, they will most likely stop at confirming your employment, title and industry with HR.

8 hours ago, SYakoban said:

Do they typically call an employer to verify employment to issue a permit?

Welcome to the forum!

As noted above, it all depends on the town.   Some seem to call and verify, without stating why they are asking, some reportedly will happily tell the employer that they have an employee who wants to buy a gun...and some never check.

In two different towns where I lived for many years before the electronic system was implemented, I would always give my office phone number as the contact point for employment verification.  I figured if they called, I might be able to verify my own employment, and if not, I could still forward the call to HR.   No one ever called, for any of the applications.   I hope you are so lucky.

15 hours ago, SYakoban said:

I'm planning to make my first firearm purchase and ready to apply for a permit. My concern is the section on employment. I just started a new job this week. I don't know how my employer will view me if they get a call from police asking about me - especially if they mention why. My questions are:

1. Do they typically call an employer to verify employment to issue a permit?
  2. How does employment have any relevancy to gun ownership?

Yes, some PD's do call employers, legal or not it happens.

I was technically unemployed at times and put that down. I'd suggest you do the same. You just started the job days ago and probably haven't even received the first paycheck yet, really splitting hairs at this point.

As for question #2 just another hoop for FID applicants to jump through designed to discourage firearm ownership in N.J.

For some it could be a total deal killer and they don't take the process any further. One of many reasons firearm ownership is so low in N.J.

Thanks guys for the great responses.

Again so happy to be part of the community here. :D

Technically, I still also own a business, that barely produces revenue, but I am the president and pay minimum NJ corp tax (don't get me started) and it has business banking accounts. I thought of putting that down, but don't want to get caught up in the fraud warnings on the application.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!

On 2/17/2022 at 8:15 PM, SYakoban said:

Technically, I still also own a business, that barely produces revenue, but I am the president and pay minimum NJ corp tax (don't get me started) and it has business banking accounts. I thought of putting that down, but don't want to get caught up in the fraud warnings on the application.

What do you guys think?

That would be perfectly acceptable.

Just indicate Self Employed (which you are) and the business name, address, etc.

The things that most often jam people up on FID applications are any kind of unexpunged convictions, no matter how minor or long ago. And mental health records, again no matter how minor or long ago.

Took doctor prescribed anti-depressants for six months ten years ago? Better be prepared to get a letter from an M.D. stating its safe for you to possess firearms now.

Here is some more info:

https://www.njgunlawyers.com/page.php?here=FID

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

What town are you applying in? Possibly if someone in your town recently applied they could let you know if the employer was called.

If you are in Brick township the answer would be, no, they did not call.

Thats no guarantee they won't call.  In my town sometimes they called, sometimes they didn't.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:04 PM, SYakoban said:

I am in Clark

Whatever you do don't just get ONE permit. You don't want to have to go through all these hoops should you decide to get another pistol. 

Pay the extra $2/per permit and sit on them. I would say just get 3 - 4 permits just in case. They will be good for 90 days and another 90 with one extension. You'll thank us later on if you do decide to use one additional permit in the next 6 months from your first one.

• Agree 1

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

My plan has been one handgun, one rifle.

@My1stGlock I agree for just $2 extra, get a second permit, but I really don't expect to use it. The application says " you may not be able to execute each permit within the one hundred and eighty (180) day period that each permit may be valid for."

It goes bad after 90 or 180 days?

As a first time applicant, might the local police be resistant to giving me a permit for multiple guns?

For the rifle, (after I have the handgun) what will I need to do to buy it?

20 hours ago, SYakoban said:

As a first time applicant, might the local police be resistant to giving me a permit for multiple guns?

-Each PP is good for 90 days and can be extended for another 90 days, 180 total.  However, thanks to that crook Jon Corzine N.J. now allows only one handgun purchase per month. 

-You're perfectly within your rights to request multiple PP's. The local PD doesn't get to decide the number of PP's they will or will not issue and applicants requesting multiple PP's is not unusual. 

-To purchase a long gun you have to present your FID card, drivers license and pass the NICS check. No PP necessary and no limit on the number purchased. 

• Agree 2

My first round of handgun permits I applied for three, and used all three. One is not enough... LOL

First you will want a 9mm, then hmm maybe I want a .45, then you handle a 1911 and want one of those, then maybe a micro pistol, then maybe a red dot on a pistol, then you see Springfield armory release a new model 1911 and it feels so good in your hand you want that also. It's a vicious cycle, but enjoyable. Oops, don't forget you may want a Beretta or two. Jeez, I also forgot Kimbers....

11 hours ago, SYakoban said:

Thanks again for the advice everyone!

My plan has been one handgun, one rifle.

@My1stGlock I agree for just $2 extra, get a second permit, but I really don't expect to use it. The application says " you may not be able to execute each permit within the one hundred and eighty (180) day period that each permit may be valid for."

As the others have responded I only have this additional info.

One handgun per 30 days only applies to handguns. With that being said it does not apply to long guns such as rifles and shotguns. You can get them anytime. To save on the NICs background check you can always add one or two long gun purchase(s) to the ONE handgun purchase.

If you are doing mail order try to transfer long gun(s) and handgun at the same time. Saves u a second trip and some dealers also lower the transfer prices if u do more than one transfer at once.

So now we have that outta way break open yer wallet lol. Yes such b/s laws but hey If NJ gonna make me jump through hoops I’m gonna exercise the crap outta my 2A rights.

Didn’t they say NJ has a lowest license gun owners but then per licensed individual the most firearms? Hahahah.

Digest that and if you need clarification we’ll all chime in here.

1 hour ago, Old Glock guy said:

Ha, ha!  It always starts out that way.  That was my plan as well, but fair warning:  It rarely stops there.  :D

Yes do yourself the favor and get multiple permits. You have 6 months to decide what you want for gun2, gun3 etc.

look at it this way skip the Venti Starbucks and get the Grande right there it’s yer 2 extra permits lol.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

My first round of handgun permits I applied for three, and used all three. One is not enough... LOL

First you will want a 9mm, then hmm maybe I want a .45, then you handle a 1911 and want one of those, then maybe a micro pistol, then maybe a red dot on a pistol, then you see Springfield armory release a new model 1911 and it feels so good in your hand you want that also. It's a vicious cycle, but enjoyable. Oops, don't forget you may want a Beretta or two. Jeez, I also forgot Kimbers....

Oh and let’s not forget the cheap and fun to shoot .22lr’s like the classic Ruger MK4 series or the SW Victory or Browning Buckmarks! Great shooter for first timers and for the kids. You won’t break the bank neither with ammo. Heck while you at it throw in the Ruger 10/22 rifle or the Savage bolt action SR series.

I think everyone should just get five or six permits each time. Worst case is NJSP gets a few extra dollars. Much better than waiting an unknown time for your application to clear again.

On the other hand, you can also apply for multiple handgun exception if there are specific guns you definitely want at once from your LGS. It might add complication but it's worth knowing about. This is done at the same time you apply for handgun permits.

Also highly recommend getting one or two long guns with each handgun purchase if you know you'll be getting it anyway. Saves on your NICS checks.

• Haha 1

One last thing factor shipping as well as transfers when purchasing online versus a local gun store. The local gun store may seem more expensive up front but buying from them u don’t pay the transfer.

Cash is also king! 
When you buy online add the shipping and also transfer fee to get an apples to apples comparison. NICs is NICs so no avoiding that.
If you buy online cuz the LGS don’t have in stock you can always ask them if they can get it as well before you go online. Just my past experience of course 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I think everyone should just get five or six permits each time. Worst case is NJSP gets a few extra dollars. Much better than waiting an unknown time for your application to clear again.

On the other hand, you can also apply for multiple handgun exception if there are specific guns you definitely want at once from your LGS. It might add complication but it's worth knowing about. This is done at the same time you apply for handgun permits.

Also highly recommend getting one or two long guns with each handgun purchase if you know you'll be getting it anyway. Saves on your NICS checks.

6 permits burns in the pocket lol. I did that once and was only able to use 5 but it was fun trying.

the multiple handgun exemption is tricky. I asked around but it sounded like you need to have all the serial numbers when u applied for that permit? Can someone that has done this clarify? 

7 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

One last thing factor shipping as well as transfers when purchasing online versus a local gun store. The local gun store may seem more expensive up front but buying from them u don’t pay the transfer.

Cash is also king! 
When you buy online add the shipping and also transfer fee to get an apples to apples comparison. NICs is NICs so no avoiding that.
If you buy online cuz the LGS don’t have in stock you can always ask them if they can get it as well before you go online. Just my past experience of course 

Agree.

Also, the definition of "local" gun store could mean a store that's within $30 - $40 worth of gas, not just the one that's physically closest to you.