SYakoban

First Time Applicant - Background Check Question

11 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

6 permits burns in the pocket lol. I did that once and was only able to use 5 but it was fun trying.

the multiple handgun exemption is tricky. I asked around but it sounded like you need to have all the serial numbers when u applied for that permit? Can someone that has done this clarify? 

I'm in the same boat, 5/6 :)

Here's the MHE form (though I think it's part of the online system now): https://www.nj.gov/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sp-015.pdf 
So yes, you have to already know the exact guns with serial numbers. I've not done it myself, but it's tempting.

3 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

Oh and let’s not forget the cheap and fun to shoot .22lr’s like the classic Ruger MK4 series or the SW Victory or Browning Buckmarks! Great shooter for first timers and for the kids. You won’t break the bank neither with ammo. Heck while you at it throw in the Ruger 10/22 rifle or the Savage bolt action SR series.

.22's totally slipped my mind, sheesh, that's at least 3 more permits.

Keep in mind we are just playing with you here, buy as many or as few as you feel you would like. Going by past experience though, one permit is never enough.

Example, my wife wanted a hand gun, she applied for two permits at my request, said I don't need two hand guns, but i talked her into it anyway, saying it can't hurt. I purchased a .22 pistol, she shot it, loved it and request to purchase one of her own, ohh, don't need a second permit huh? Now she has an M&P 380 EZ, a Ruger SR22 an M&P 15-22 rifle and a 9mm Bullpup rifle. Slippery Slope. 

Odd thing though about the wives that shoot, they never buy ammo! All I hear is, did you bring ammo for me...

• Haha 3

On 2/17/2022 at 2:56 PM, njviper91 said:

hehe, i put my cell phone for my work number since ive been working from home for 2 years now.  There really isnt a direct number to my job.  Maybe thats why im still waiting 2 months for permits :D

Stop sending them unknown callers to VM. They prob hanging up when it does.....LOL. Seriously did u ever get them?

2 hours ago, My1stGlock said:

SYakban where's about are you? I'm sure the guys here can give you an idea of which LGS are near you. Always good to give the local guy your business if they are fair in prices.

He said Clark.

Steve at Monmouth Arms would be my suggestion. 

13 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

My plan was to buy one hand gun and one rifle too lol that didn't work out too well. Get a few permits. You won't regret it. 

I bought one handgun.  Thought I was done. Then I joined here.  Now I need a bigger safe.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, njviper91 said:

On day 63

Did you get any status confirms at all? Did you get pass the referrals? Maybe they need some nudging? How long does it normally take? It took me 6 months during the lockdown. My brother lives up north and took him less than 2 weeks just recently. Lucky bastard.

55 minutes ago, My1stGlock said:

Did you get any status confirms at all? Did you get pass the referrals? Maybe they need some nudging? How long does it normally take? It took me 6 months during the lockdown. My brother lives up north and took him less than 2 weeks just recently. Lucky bastard.

They said 8-10 weeks start to finish.

im on week 8 so….

On 3/1/2022 at 11:48 PM, Bomber said:

-Each PP is good for 90 days and can be extended for another 90 days, 180 total.  However, thanks to that crook Jon Corzine N.J. now allows only one handgun purchase per month. 

-You're perfectly within your rights to request multiple PP's. The local PD doesn't get to decide the number of PP's they will or will not issue and applicants requesting multiple PP's is not unusual. 

-To purchase a long gun you have to present your

FID card

, drivers license and pass the NICS check. No PP necessary and no limit on the number purchased. 

What FID card?

Did you apply already or getting ready to do so? From what I gather you are getting ready to do so? 

As we all discussed you should be applying for the FID card and a few handgun permits. This will cover any desire to get handguns for the next 90 days. If you don't get the handgun permits now and decide later you will have to go through whole 2 reference checks and mental health check as well as the fees to run the checks AGAIN. 

Congratulations! You have successfully submitted the Application for Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or Handgun Purchase Permit.

FINALLY!!!

GUYS - THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!! Everyone here has been very patient and helpful. I really appreciate it.

All new to me. My wife has been so uncomfortable with guns in the house, but given the circumstances and threats to our rights, she has come around to accepting it - but still uncomfortable.

I followed your advice and applied for two permits w/the FID. I can't afford more than two, maybe not even two guns. Not so cheap.

The Identigo thing was such a hassle. I got a slot in 10 days.

Next... what gun to buy. I saw a couple of interesting guns, but they are out of my price range.

• Like 3

I'd suggest checking out a local gun range that rents and sells. At least you and the wife can rent and try them out to see what you both like. If you have friends that can bring you to their range and shoot their guns even better. I find it more easier to learn from a friend. 

If you have two gun permits I would consider a .22lr and a 9mm to start off with. As for a long gun I figure you are interested in a shotgun perhaps?

Congrats by the way and now the wait begins. Make sure your references are aware that you used them as references and they should reply back as fast as they can. You don't want them to be the reason everything is held up. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, SYakoban said:

All new to me. My wife has been so uncomfortable with guns in the house, but given the circumstances and threats to our rights, she has come around to accepting it - but still uncomfortable.

Next... what gun to buy. I saw a couple of interesting guns, but they are out of my price range.

1.  Get a safe.  Put it within grabbing range, but out of sight.  Put your purchase(s) in there and don't talk about it with her unless she asks.  (Been there myself.  Out of sight, out of mind.  Never talked about what I have in the 10 years that I've been an owner.)

2.  Depends what you want to do.  Home defense?  Opinions vary as well as taking into consideration multiple factors like your skill level living situation (house, apartment, kids, etc.).  One size does not fit all.  Personally, I went with a Glock 19 (9mm) with hollow points for home defense.  From there, I bought a S&W 686 (.38 / 357) for some revolver fun.  It's the back-up to the G19 for HD.  I then acquired multiple long guns which don't see the light of day except for the rare range trip.

11 hours ago, SYakoban said:

Next... what gun to buy. I saw a couple of interesting guns, but they are out of my price range

There are LOTS of different opinions on what it's best to start with.  Are you going to be a recreational shooter who makes frequent range trips?  Will the wife be shooting with you?  Will the gun(s) just sit in the safe "just in case"?, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If I was going to stick with just two pistols and I was not recreational shooting, FOR ME it would probably be my 9mm semi-auto (Glock) and my 38 special/357 revolver (S&W 686).

If recreational shooting was a consideration i'd say maybe go with a .22lr pistol (Ruger Mark IV) and the 9mm.  The expectation is that a recreational shooter will be putting a lot more rounds downrange, so you'll be buying more ammo, so .22lr and 9mm are cheaper.  You'd also be doing your own cleaning, so reliability wouldn't be an issue.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, SYakoban said:

The S&W SD9 is good entry level gun and can be had for around $300 with two nice 10 rd mags. That is a darn good price for a quality gun from S&W and close to what they were selling for pre-covid.

Trigger may feel a little heavy at first but with an Apex spring kit and break-in period it lightens up a lot. 

https://battlehawkarmory.com/product/smith-wesson-13046-sd9-ve-crimson-trace-rail-master-9mm-luger-4-101-black-stainless-steel-textured-polymer-grip

I recommend taking an NRA basic pistol course. I had never fired (handled) a pistol before my class. My instructor started us out with .22 semi-auto. Then stepped us up to .38 revolver, 9mm semi-, and .45  semi.  It helped boost my confidence. Talk to your wife about it and hopefully she’ll join you. Good luck. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Currently out of stock (other versions are in stock but more expensive) but the Palmetto State Armory Dagger Compact is a $300 version of a Glock 19 - affordable and reliable.  I have one and it's been fantastic.  Only caveat is that it won't come with a magazine (as it's supposed to have a 15 rounder) - so you'll have to buy 10 round mags for it.  Works great with Magpul mags which can be found on sale for 

OK, so you are a new gun owner. And everyone here is chiming in about hand guns, but might I suggest - hunting! You should try it, you might like it. And no, you don't have to start with deer. There are lots of opportunities for small game hunting, and rabbit and squirrel hunting are a lot of fun. And - they're easier to clean!   Gets you outside, you'll learn a lot about your local WMAs, and there are few things as much fun as walking through the woods with a rifle (or shotgun) slung over your shoulder. 

6 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

There are LOTS of different opinions on what it's best to start with.  Are you going to be a recreational shooter who makes frequent range trips?  Will the wife be shooting with you?  Will the gun(s) just sit in the safe "just in case"?, etc, etc, etc, etc.

If I was going to stick with just two pistols and I was not recreational shooting, FOR ME it would probably be my 9mm semi-auto (Glock) and my 38 special/357 revolver (S&W 686).

If recreational shooting was a consideration i'd say maybe go with a .22lr pistol (Ruger Mark IV) and the 9mm.  The expectation is that a recreational shooter will be putting a lot more rounds downrange, so you'll be buying more ammo, so .22lr and 9mm are cheaper.  You'd also be doing your own cleaning, so reliability wouldn't be an issue.

Some great advise right here. 

Smaller polymer hand guns take a bit more practice to shoot effectively due to their size and weight, there will be more kick since the weight is lighter. A larger steel hand gun with a larger sight radius will shoot easier since it has some heft to it.

I told my brother-in-law this when he got his FID and PTP, if you are going to shoot the handgun once every other year and leave it in a safe, buy a Glock. 

Thanks again everyone for great advice!

Yeah - primarily for self defense.  I own a house, will take a course, won't be hunting, probably will go to a range for practice and refreshers. Maybe it will become a hobby - we'll see?

My wife cannot handle even seeing guns in movies (childhood event) so she will NEVER be involved or see them. She knows I'm getting them, but I didn't tell her I applied last night. So they will have to be in a safe in the basement which is an issue for rapid response emergencies, but my hand are tied - it's my only option. Even hidden furniture or wall safe's I've seen will not fly here.

The few guns I've read about are like $1,200 - $1,500. I'll have to look into suggestions here. I read the Glock story, but plastic body guns seem strange to me and the light weight having more recoil feels like a concern, but I know nothing.

I sold my grandfather's 100 year old vest pocket .25's to a store in N Jersey about 4 years ago. They have an indoor range too. I like the idea of renting and trying, so maybe that place will work.

42 minutes ago, SYakoban said:

The few guns I've read about are like $1,200 - $1,500. I'll have to look into suggestions here. I read the Glock story, but plastic body guns seem strange to me and the light weight having more recoil feels like a concern, I like the idea of renting and trying, so maybe that place will work.

Yeah, thats crazy I would never spend that much on SD handgun 

As for Polymer handguns they're not that light when you've got 17-18 rounds on board (11rds. in N.J.) and thats what you want in a primary HD handgun high capacity.

I was all set to buy a Glock until I picked one up, didn't care for the grip angle and texture at all.

Went with S&W instead.

24 minutes ago, SYakoban said:

So they will have to be in a safe in the basement which is an issue for rapid response emergencies, but my hand are tied - it's my only option

Maybe this is covered up thread and I missed it.  How about a small, wall-mounted safe in a bedroom closet.  They can be discrete and out of sight but more easily accessible at 2am.  Something Ike the SpeedVault?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Maybe this is covered up thread and I missed it.  How about a small, wall-mounted safe in a bedroom closet.  They can be discrete and out of sight but more easily accessible at 2am.  Something Ike the SpeedVault?

Or a drawer mounted safe.  

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Redeye65 said:

I told my brother-in-law this when he got his FID and PTP, if you are going to shoot the handgun once every other year and leave it in a safe, buy a Glock. 

If a new shooter is going to only shoot the handgun once every other year, it may be best not to buy a handgun at all.  

Being safe and proficient requires more of a commitment.