SYakoban

First Time Applicant - Background Check Question

52 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Yeah, thats crazy I would never spend that much on SD handgun 

As for Polymer handguns they're not that light when you've got 17-18 rounds on board (11rds. in N.J.) and thats what you want in a primary HD handgun high capacity.

I was all set to buy a Glock until I picked one up, didn't care for the grip angle and texture at all.

Went with S&W instead.

Spend what you can and feel comfortable with, compact and subcompact polymer hand guns take some training and time invested to shoot with confidence. My two HD hand guns are, a full size Walther PDP with a light and Leopold Delta Point Pro mounted, that is in the bedroom, in the living room is a Colt 1911, both in the $1400-$1600 range, my wife and I shoot both well and manipulate them well. 

Try to rent what you think you want to buy, it can save you money and disappointment later if you buy a gun before trying it to find out you don’t shoot it well and hate the feeling of it when shooting. 

21 minutes ago, 10X said:

If a new shooter is going to only shoot the handgun once every other year, it may be best not to buy a handgun at all.  

Being safe and proficient requires more of a commitment.  

And that is what he did, never bought a handgun.  

17 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Try to rent what you think you want to buy, it can save you money and disappointment later if you buy a gun before trying it to find out you don’t shoot it well and hate the feeling of it when shooting. 

This x10000.

in the 2 years ive been shooting ive probably shot 30 or so handguns. I only liked maybe 8. i found myself liking guns I never thought I would and vice versa.

3 hours ago, SYakoban said:

The few guns I've read about are like $1,200 - $1,500. I'll have to look into suggestions here. I read the Glock story, but plastic body guns seem strange to me and the light weight having more recoil feels like a concern, but I know nothing.

Which models where you looking at for that price range? Have you handled any guns in the past? I prefer steel over polymers too but you definitely can't go wrong with a Glock. Did you have a caliber in mind? Most people start off with the 9mm then go from there. Whatever your budget I am sure you can find something out there. 

12 hours ago, SYakoban said:

The few guns I've read about are like $1,200 - $1,500. I'll have to look into suggestions here. I read the Glock story, but plastic body guns seem strange to me and the light weight having more recoil feels like a concern, but I know nothing.

You don't need to spend that much.

Contact JT at JT's Gun Shop - @JT Custom Guns, and/or Steve at Monmouth Arms @remixer.

They're forum supporters and gun shop owners who will be able to find you something within your budget.

A Taurus revolver would fit you needs and they run around $450.

15 hours ago, SYakoban said:

No need to spend that much at all.  A great home/self defense pistol can be had for around $500 or less from the most widely known and reputable manufacturers.  The recoil on any 9mm polymer hand gun is more than manageable for any adult.