Tonester2

Laser aiming aids any good?

I've seen ads for various types of laser aiming devices made to help you zero in your sights and I'm wondering if they're any good. There's the rod type where it inserts into the barrel or the cartridge type where it's shaped and sized to be inserted into the chamber and the laser projects to your target then you line up your sight to it. TIA. 

I've  used the cartridge type in the past, Just to get on paper. 

If your talking about a rifle start off at 25 yds get on paper and work your way out  to 200 yds.

If your talking about a hand gun , I would start at 7 yds  and work your way out to 25 yds. 

I would also recommend a indoor range for hand gun zeroing.  

You need to figure out if your sights require   a  6 o'clock hold or cover your target hold 

For shotgun I used a cartridge type laser because I have a red dot on it.

You have to do the leg work, Some people have magical powers and can zero their firearm's fast.

This is just my humble opinion.  for initial zeroing a bag or a hand rest will get you the most accurate results. 

Also not all ammo has the same point of impact.     I tried a cartridge type in a handgun and it was junk.

• Thanks 1

The laser aids can save you time at the range getting new optics sighted in.  Drop the laser in at home, find the longest spot where you can project the laser and still see it, adjust your optic to the laser.  Then when you get to the range your optic should already be "on paper" and you can then focus on fine adjustments.

Bore-mounted lasers are more accurate than cartridge lasers in my experience, but for many handguns there just isn't enough barrel length to use a bore mount.

While lasers are reasonably good at representing where the center of your barrel is at a distance, they do not simulate all the factors that determine the actual flight path of the bullet, so that's why you usually need to follow up with actual firing to get zeroed in.

If you go for the cheaper laser sighters (like from Amazon), be aware that they usually come with weak button batteries that crap out quickly, so get some "real" batteries to have as spares.  Otherwise you may find the laser is fading out before you even get your initial adjustments done.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1