eyeinstine

Recognize this 7.62x54 cartridge ?

Any have some info or recognize this ammo?

I have a mosin-nagant I’ve never shot yet.
Some recently gave me this ammo. Almost lacks any kind of headstamp. I can make out what looks like 72 on one edge. Other side is hard to make out 2 letters or numbers. Nothing else. Bullet has a silver tip, and there is some hints of red sealant. Original paper and twine wrapping.

safe to shoot? Corrosive?
most surely berdan primed?

Thanks

Ron

C9C32DEF-3CC9-4F7B-970D-96A743176E9F.jpeg

946035B2-4810-43ED-9E89-ACAF316826B0.jpeg

153D0B5A-BCBC-4C6E-902E-E97B9C653E97.png

2360C75F-3D6C-4597-91FA-AF35CAEE0496.png

5E88D8A3-22B2-433E-97A2-BDAB7C3CB43B.png

1 hour ago, BMWR12 said:

Looks like Bulgarian surplus ammo. It is safe to shoot but corrosive.

Thanks for the input!

A little more info to maybe confirm;

Put a magnet to it. Highly magentic projecticle and case, So i assume steel core projectile, and copper washed steel case.

Is the silver tip the steel core identifier maybe?

Thanks fella's!

Took it out today and put some holes in paper. Shot geat! definitley got a little kick to 'er! :D

After shooting, i could only sit and try to envision what it was like to fight in war of that era. The amount of body damage calibers like these must have did back then had to be more than gruesome. :(

And the shoulder pain during a long fire fight. 10 rounds through this thing im feeling it a bit.  Makes you really appreciate those who serve(d) and so grateful for their sacrificies...

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

And the shoulder pain during a long fire fight. 10 rounds through this thing im feeling it a bit.

Most I ever put through mine in one range session was 40 rounds and I have an aftermarket rubber butt pad.

30 minutes ago, Tom609 said:

Make sure to clean out the bore and bolt face with soapy water.  Enough to get the salts out. 

I ended up spraying down the barrel and all around the bolt/receiver area with 'Barricade". Wiped it all down, q-tipped the bolt face, and pulled a bore snake through the barrel a few times.... Think this will suffice??

What he^^^ said. Pour water down the warm barrel and run a dry mop, it'll dry out then clean/oil at home. Not sure of Barricades ingredients but generally speaking oils don't dissolve and flush the salts like water.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 2:42 PM, RUTGERS95 said:

You guys don't need to do any of that just bring a one liter bottle of water when you are done shooting rinse the bolt and barrel area with.  When home, clean normally

This.

Some of the older guys I shoot with swear that you have to use Windex, but the water is what gets the salts out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

This.

Some of the older guys I shoot with swear that you have to use Windex, but the water is what gets the salts out.

yup

right after you are done shooting just pour it down.  this is all i've ever done and never had a problem.  The gun is still hot when I do this and by the time I get home, there isn't any water anywhere and then I just clean normally.  If I found any water, I'd use what Griz said and hit it with wd40.  I finish, I dump water, I set it down to fully drain, pack up my stuff, then pack up the gun and done.

• Like 1