Redeye65

M1 Garand

As an Xmas present to myself, I picked up a Garand from Dave (15636215), the purchase was great, Dave is a pleasure to sit and chat with. Picked up a spam can of Greek surplus 30-06 Garand ammo and the gun and ammo sat for 2 1/2 months, hate when life gets in the way, but today we all went to the range, by the third shot I was on target. I have shot 30-30 deer hunting, 5.56 in my AR, semiauto 12 gauge, but this was my first 30-06, my grin was from ear to ear for 20 minutes while shooting. A couple things that I wasn’t expecting were, the rifle is lighter than I had imagined, the sights are a pleasure to use, the kick is no where near what I was expecting, and man is it loud, not that sharp clap from an AR, more like a throaty ST Bernard bark.

If you have been lusting for some nostalgia and have said, I would like a Garand, buy one, you will not regret it.

Thanks Dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FishNHard said:

What is the way to determine the year of mine Garand.

PM me. serial #

15 hours ago, FishNHard said:

When i went to tanners to get a standard M1A they only had a national match with a Garand next to it, I was happy the credit card no so much LOL

IMG_2343.JPG

Get some BLO on that garand stock.

You can use Linseed oil or Boiled linseed oil. Plain takes longer to dry, but better finish, Boiled dries faster. Apply, wait 30 minutes wipe off. 1 week apply again. Brings out that WW2 reddish in wood and finishes it. 5 or 6 applications works well. I work with stocks LOL.   https://imgur.com/a/1NwKzbO      https://imgur.com/a/1NwKzbO

I use linseed oil thinned, many applications. Don't leave on too long before wiping, gets sticky, Heat helps to cure.

• Like 1

I did three stocks using raw linseed oil: two Korean war vintage and one new issue Boyd's As @15636215 said, it brings out that reddish patina (develops over time in my experience). I also finished them all with gunny paste from Garand Gear.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Xtors said:

I did three stocks using raw linseed oil: two Korean war vintage and one new issue Boyd's As @15636215 said, it brings out that reddish patina (develops over time in my experience). I also finished them all with gunny paste from Garand Gear.

I didn't get to the gunny paste yet! LOL.

I am working on 2 stocks and 8 handguard sets now. Just hit the 2nd BLO treatment. Will be a week or two for BLO. That is a wax base treatment. finishes the stock, makes it a little shine too.