ESB

Are DE.50 and other large heavy (>50oz) handguns legal?

9 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:  AR style.  DE is okay for now.  Yeah, better get it now. Before they ban the caliber in NJ.  9 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:  AR style.  DE is okay for now.     9 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:  AR style.  DE is okay for now.     9 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:  AR style.  DE is okay for now.  

1 hour ago, 2AJoe said:

AR style.  DE is okay for now.  Yeah, better get it now. Before they ban the caliber in NJ. 

Is there a proposal of banning .50AE?  And if one is registered to me, wouldn't I have to turn it in after the ban or otherwise "get rid of it"?  

1 hour ago, ESB said:

Is there a proposal of banning .50AE?  And if one is registered to me, wouldn't I have to turn it in after the ban or otherwise "get rid of it"?  

It was proposed in the last legislative session, but it didn't advance.  Typically your options are turn it in, sell it to someone in a free state or if they grandfather all the one already owned, then if you have one you're good to keep it but you can't transfer it to anyone else in this state. If the do pass a law, they usually set a date by which you have to disposition the item.  When the 15 round magazines were banned, they set a date by which you had to disposition them through one of the available options.

The 50oz weight limit is one of the “evil features” for a handgun. You can have two features before your handgun is considered an “assault weapon” - at which point it becomes prohibited in NJ.

So, yes, you can be over 50oz as long you don’t have too many other “evil features”.

https://nj.gov/njsp/firearms/pdf/062408_title13ch54.pdf

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.2 Definitions
Semi-automatic handguns that have the ability to accept a detachable magazine and at least two of the following features:

• Magazine that attaches outside of the pistol grip.

• Threaded barrel

• Barrel shroud

• Manufactured weight of 50oz or more when the pistol is unloaded

• Semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

Nobody reads anymore. Everyone panics.

• Agree 3

Because the magazine is in the grip it’s not regulated like an AR pistol is or any pistol where the mag attaches other than into the grip.  

I don’t how you’d thread the barrel one but it would be legal.  NJ frequently blusters about banning .50 cal firearms and it is yet to pass.  If it does you can lose it in a boating accident, store it or move out of state, sell it to someone in a freer state. 

I sold mine and miss it.  Prob get another.  

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

I don’t how you’d thread the barrel one but it would be legal.

Not true. From the list that HE posted, if you have 2 or more of the evil features the handgun is designated as an assault pistol and banned.

Because the DE is over 50oz you cannot have any more evil features from the list and still be legal.

23 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Not true. From the list that HE posted, if you have 2 or more of the evil features the handgun is designated as an assault pistol and banned.

Because the DE is over 50oz you cannot have any more evil features from the list and still be legal.

I’m curious, how would one interpret this?

• Semi-automatic version of an automatic firearm

There is no automatic version of this firearm.  

That is for stuff like the semi auto Uzis and such

Because, you know, if it LOOKS like a machine gun is must be a machine gun

(As a side note, many have seen the video of a full auto DE - look it up, it’s absurd. But that was an aftermarket modification so it doesn’t count for this rule)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1