njviper91

6MM Arc build

Starting to get together parts for a long range 6mm Arc build

Im going to have Compass Lake Engineering turn the barrel and put together the upper.

So far I have M4E1 Enhanced upper with no FA.

AP Quantum hand guard

JP enterprises LMOS BCG

Compass lake will do a bartlein barrel cerakote and fluted with an adjustable gas block.

Still flip flopping between a 20 and 22 inch barrel.

Anyone else do a 6mm arc build recently?

IMG_7761_2.jpg

• Like 1

CLE does great work. I had a heavy AR15 upper put together by them last year and its a performer with the 77gr-80gr heads. You should be happy with the upper they build you. 

The 6mm ARC looks interesting. Similar I guess to the wildcats that preceded it like the 6mm fat rat but commercial factory ammo will be available. Do you plan on reloading for it ?

Built a 6mm ARC upper last year. Only have about 300 thru it and have to say I like it better than the 224 Valk. Reminds me of a little 6mm Norma BR. Tough to get bolt action accuracy out of a SA but it pretty darn good so far, using Barnes 105gr Match. Still working out what it likes best, tough though with powder being difficult to get.

The BCG came today and it is a work of art.  All packed and ready to go out.

Contour: Varmint
Length: 22"
Gas System Length: +1
Thread: None
Gas Block Area: .936

SDMFlute SDM 12 Flutes 
Cerakote: Black
SABO-DI-936SM Superlative Arms .936 Adj. Solid, Set Screw Melonite Finish

Ill be using the match ammo to start and then will reload those shells after I get it dialed in.

I had a .308 bolt action that I had made from GA Precision that shoots through the same hole with Federal match ammo.

So I hope this will be similar with match ammo.

IMG_7763 1.jpg

IMG_7765 1.jpg

IMG_7766 1.jpg

IMG_7767 2 1.jpg

3 hours ago, Jon K said:

Factory is all your going to be able to fire for a while anyway. There is no brass available for this, and hasn't been for 8 months. I know because i look every single day....

So save that brass....

Yeah, this is not something im going to be popping off 50 rounds at the range when I go.  So I will slowly just stock up on the match ammo.

I did that with my 300 blackout but I was also able to find brass for it.

Not in the 6mm ARC crowd but was reading where you can take 6.5 Grendel cases and neck them down to 6 ARC. It’s the same parent case. You have to trim down the neck of the Grendel case to match OAL case length but that’s really it. Maybe that’s a temporary solution to the brass shortage if 6.5 Grendel is easier to find. 

Lapua makes Grendel brass which is a major step up in quality and consistency over hornady brass. 

10 hours ago, BullzeyeNJ said:

Not in the 6mm ARC crowd but was reading where you can take 6.5 Grendel cases and neck them down to 6 ARC. It’s the same parent case. You have to trim down the neck of the Grendel case to match OAL case length but that’s really it. Maybe that’s a temporary solution to the brass shortage if 6.5 Grendel is easier to find. 

Lapua makes Grendel brass which is a major step up in quality and consistency over hornady brass. 

My dad is the re loader.  He is 74 and retired so I keep him busy.  I will have to ask him about this to see if its something he wants to get into.  Maybe its about time I start myself.

Hi I'm glad you brought this topic up. In the future I wanted a 16 inch ar in the 6 mm variety. I was gung ho on a 6.5 Grendel. But the 6mm arc looks very interesting. I may be wrong or over simplified this statement. Is a 6mm arc just a refined version of the Grendel? Serious question as I hope to build one. 

I read up on both and being that your building one im sure you've done your research. 

Question will the 6 arc perform well in a 16 inch barrel?  And why did you go this direction as opposed to a Grendel if that was ever a consideration. Either way I like them both. Following this thread as it has an interest to me. Looking forward to seeing pics and specs of your build. 

Also I read ideal legnth maybe an 18 inch barrel. Please don't ask me where bc I dont remember.

If I had to choose between your choices between the 20 and 22, I would do 20 as performance really isn't lost . I think its 25fps loss per inch. . Hunting go with the smaller stick. Shooting paper 22 works. 

Wilson combat makes a 6.5 creedmore in 16 believe it or not. I know its not apples to apples but in the same category I think. 

On 4/8/2022 at 6:48 PM, 70gto said:

Hi I'm glad you brought this topic up. In the future I wanted a 16 inch ar in the 6 mm variety. I was gung ho on a 6.5 Grendel. But the 6mm arc looks very interesting. I may be wrong or over simplified this statement. Is a 6mm arc just a refined version of the Grendel? Serious question as I hope to build one. 

I read up on both and being that your building one im sure you've done your research. 

Question will the 6 arc perform well in a 16 inch barrel?  And why did you go this direction as opposed to a Grendel if that was ever a consideration. Either way I like them both. Following this thread as it has an interest to me. Looking forward to seeing pics and specs of your build. 

Also I read ideal legnth maybe an 18 inch barrel. Please don't ask me where bc I dont remember.

If I had to choose between your choices between the 20 and 22, I would do 20 as performance really isn't lost . I think its 25fps loss per inch. . Hunting go with the smaller stick. Shooting paper 22 works. 

Wilson combat makes a 6.5 creedmore in 16 believe it or not. I know its not apples to apples but in the same category I think. 

I went with a 22" this will mostly be a bench gun.  I think the R&D for this was with a 18" with a 7.5 twist.

The arc has a better BC than the Grendel.  I would do at least an 18",  you want it for the longer range, you sure as hell arent going to be popping off 50 rounds an outing with this.  3 boxes of ammo cost me 108 bucks.  Still cant find brass but i have 100 rounds on backorder.

I will have this setup for 350 yards to start out.

15 minutes ago, 70gto said:

what bullet are you shooting or did you get to that point yet? Curious for your feedback when you shoot it.

The upper is still 4-6 weeks out from Compass lake Engineering.

To start i bought the Hornady Match ELD ammo

So off the wall question. I wanted to do a 6.5 Grendel ar in 16 inch for a harder hitting round with accuracy out past what an effective 556 would do. I dont want a 6.8 b4 anyone goes there

Can the arc do the same? Or is it really meant for a longer tube minimin 18 inches? 

For example a 6.5 creed or 308 could do that but it really isn't meant for a shorter barrll ar like 16. Neither is the Grendel but it can work and has. Maybe im screeing uo what im trying to say

2 hours ago, 70gto said:

So off the wall question. I wanted to do a 6.5 Grendel ar in 16 inch for a harder hitting round with accuracy out past what an effective 556 would do. I dont want a 6.8 b4 anyone goes there

Can the arc do the same? Or is it really meant for a longer tube minimin 18 inches? 

For example a 6.5 creed or 308 could do that but it really isn't meant for a shorter barrll ar like 16. Neither is the Grendel but it can work and has. Maybe im screeing uo what im trying to say

While built for a longer barrel (18-20"+), 6.5 Grendel will work great out of a 16" barrel.  6mm ARC will do much of the same - it's more meant for longer barrels than 6.5 Grendel.  It's got higher muzzle velocity and less drop at longer ranges, but for medium ranges, 6.5 Grendel will be a great cartridge to use especially out of a 16" barrel.

https://www.sportsmans.com/6mm-arc-vs-6-5-grendel

So I got to start breaking it in, needed to sight it in today too.  I have about 80 rounds through it now using a mix of the match ELD and match black factory ammo.  The 3 shot groups I was taking my time on after sight in, I was also cleaning the gun after every 10 shots.

All Shots @ 100 yards.

Going to load up some ELD 108's with Leverevolution, CFE223, and Varget and start to do some testing.

Im pretty happy with it as of now with factory ammo and just breaking it in.  I can see the potential to be under 1/2" consistently once i dial it in.

Still cant find brass, Im going to try and resize some grendel brass and fire form it.  I have brass on backorder but wont be in until September.

1594404677_IMG_804031.thumb.jpg.d22a9fa389485fc3c4fcbf29daf059c8.jpg

1661115735_IMG_803941.thumb.jpg.bb763c250b04c3ea1781aa571f7bf7ef.jpg

1356394679_IMG_804121.thumb.jpg.abf81884976b117b0b046c99031c50d0.jpg

297413764_IMG_804211.thumb.jpg.73a133b523d3e4a9e3badde0173a27eb.jpg

689259620_IMG_803851.thumb.jpg.f41e9ef1431251c5016cacf997294df4.jpg

• Like 2