Displayname

Nj other vs rifle

Hi all, first time long time, hoping this is the right place for this question. Looking into ks47. I would like to buy the 10.5" ks47 with brace. I wanted to clarify if it is considered an "other" once my ffl installs a vertical grip? PSA link I have an dld 7.62 "other" and having trouble comparing. 

I also wanted to buy a 16 inch upper for it for quick swap out. I think I will also need second fixed stock. Anyone know a way to legally and efficiently go from brace to fixed stock w.o buffer tube change? Doing the math though for $400 more I can just buy a 16" and a 10.5". I'm from VT so want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.  Thanks for any advice.  

If it’s a complete SBR or pistol it’s pretty much illegal in NJ and not getting transferred as an other just because the VFG is being added. 
pretty sure if they are not coming from the manufacturer as an NJ other you cannot try to convert one.

building from scratch is a little different like buying a lower then making it an other by meeting the requirements. 

as far as swapping to 16” and back I don’t think that’s allowed neither but someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

49 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Hi all, first time long time, hoping this is the right place for this question. Looking into ks47. I would like to buy the 10.5" ks47 with brace. I wanted to clarify if it is considered an "other" once my ffl installs a vertical grip? PSA link I have an dld 7.62 "other" and having trouble comparing. 

I also wanted to buy a 16 inch upper for it for quick swap out. I think I will also need second fixed stock. Anyone know a way to legally and efficiently go from brace to fixed stock w.o buffer tube change? Doing the math though for $400 more I can just buy a 16" and a 10.5". I'm from VT so want to be sure I'm doing the right thing.  Thanks for any advice.  

You can't get a pistol transferred as an other or convert a pistol to an other.  You would either have to buy it in other configuration, or build from the ground up as a stripped receiver is already transferred as an Other-Receiver.

52 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Thank you for the clarifications. I appreciate it. Will go 16" for now. May start a other build soon. Just looking to shoot some cheap ammo and the dld has not found a mag it likes yet. Thanks again

When you say “did” I assume u mean DIY?

Is that an AK variant or and AR build?

you also mentioned your from VT? 
why the interest in an NJ other? 
Just wanna be sure we are giving you accurate info.

Please read the Non-NFA Other Build Guide.  An Other can never have been a rifle, and can never have a stock on it.  It must always have a VFG on it when assembled.  It must always be over 26" OAL when assembled.  You can buy one that was originally built to be an Other and then modify it (swap uppers) as long as it still meets those requirements to continue to be an Other. 

You could also make your own by starting with a stripped lower and never attaching a stock to it, and always make sure your permanent barrel length is at least 12.5" and has a VFG on it before you attach it to the lower.  BTW, putting a VFG on a firearm with an OAL under 26" (aka a pistol) like the one you posted is a No No!  

You could have a Non-NFA Other with a 12.5" barrel and swap uppers with a 16" barrel as long as the 16" barrel has a VFG on it before you put it on the Other lower.  This would allow you to use that upper on both a rifle and an Other.  Basically if you have 2 barrels, both should always have a VFG on them so that you don't get in trouble with "constructive intent".