CMJeepster

Proposed SENATE No. 1801: Eliminates justifiable need requirement to obtain permit to carry handgun; requires comprehensive training to obtain handgun carry permit.

"The fee to obtain the permit to carry a handgun would be increased from $20 to $100.  "

"The county prosecutor of any county, the chief police officer of any municipality, the superintendent, or any citizen may apply to the court at any time for the revocation of any permit issued pursuant to this section."

My two favorite parts...

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

And I see the sponsor is Ed Durr. He didn't waste much time.

Too bad this will die in committee.

That never stops the Dems. They keep hammering away year after year until they get what the want.

Look what is happening with the fair housing mandates and massive apartment buildings going up all over the state in single family towns.

The Dems laid the ground work for that in the 1970's through 3 republican governors and republican controlled assemblies.

Greetings to all of the Debbie Downers & Doubting Thomas's here on the Board!  And greetings to the Lurkers and everyone else that reads and doesn't post for fear of finger pointing by armchair experts & commandos living in their mom's basement.

Did I piss-off EVERYBODY yet?  No?  Then please keep reading, lol!

This Bill is designed to start a conversation among Legislators, NOT give us Constitutional Carry.  For that reason, it might make it to the Law & Public Safety Committee of the Senate.  While there it can be altered & amended as needed to conform to Bruen if we get a positive outcome at SCOTUS.  The Bill is far from perfect in its current form.  Your Second Amendment Advocates KNOW this! Our rights will be won back incrementally, just as they were taken away.  I'm on the Senator's Advisory Panel with Anthony Colandro, Theresa Inacker, and Mark Cheeseman.

What's missing from this thread is the "Call To Action" that's needed to get the Bill co-sponsored. So instead of doing the usual bitchin' about face-value imperfections and plain-text readings, how about calling or sending a letter to your district Legislators asking them to co-sign the Bill, eh?  Or is it too hard to quit bitchin' and actually DO SOMETHING TO HELP?

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/districts 

No photo description available.

Rosey

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Greetings to all of the Debbie Downers & Doubting Thomas's here on the Board!  And greetings to the Lurkers and everyone else that reads and doesn't post for fear of finger pointing by armchair experts & commandos living in their mom's basement.

Did I piss-off EVERYBODY yet?  No?  Then please keep reading, lol!

This Bill is designed to start a conversation among Legislators, NOT give us Constitutional Carry.  For that reason, it might make it to the Law & Public Safety Committee of the Senate.  While there it can be altered & amended as needed to conform to Bruen if we get a positive outcome at SCOTUS.  The Bill is far from perfect in its current form.  Your Second Amendment Advocates KNOW this! Our rights will be won back incrementally, just as they were taken away.  I'm on the Senator's Advisory Panel with Anthony Colandro, Theresa Inacker, and Mark Cheeseman.

What's missing from this thread is the "Call To Action" that's needed to get the Bill co-sponsored. So instead of doing the usual bitchin' about face-value imperfections and plain-text readings, how about calling or sending a letter to your district Legislators asking them to co-sign the Bill, eh?  Or is it too hard to quit bitchin' and actually DO SOMETHING TO HELP?

For someone who's positioned as an advocate attempting to energize people and encourage support, you absolutely, 100% turn me off and make me want to do nothing.

I get that you're using a sales/comm's strategy, but it comes across as canned and obnoxious.

If you switched your tone just a LITTLE and tried to unify you'd have much more success.

But I know, carry water, heavy-lifting, your shoulders, etc, etc...

• Agree 1

Personally, I understand Rosie's tone. People have to understand that if when SCOTUS overturns may issue it's going to take time to write the laws to allow it. Better to start the conversation now than wait and have everybody bitch about what's taking so long. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Senator emailed.

It's Mike Doherty, who I think is one of the few conservatives in the Senate.

As a former Pennsylvanian, it's a  weak bill, but it's better than what we (don't) have currently, as long as it does not go the direction of the Washington DC law.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GlennS87 said:

Personally, I understand Rosie's tone. People have to understand that if when SCOTUS overturns may issue it's going to take time to write the laws to allow it. Better to start the conversation now than wait and have everybody bitch about what's taking so long. 

I seem to remember we had a similar idea when Whitman was Governor and the Republicans rocked the Trenton statehouse. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/19/nyregion/nj-law-concealed-weapons-a-senator-says-their-time-has-come.html

My take on this is that Ed is a great guy and that this proposed bill is a nice gesture. He is sending "the love" so to speak, he's in our corner etc., I actually smiled and chuckled while reading this bill and I have to admit my imagination then ran away with me and I wondered "what could have been if only we had many more Ed Durr's in Trenton". Fantasy aside, this bill will be strangled and burned on the committee floor. I wouldn't be surprised if the politicians in Trenton take turns wiping their asses on the committee floor with this bill. Nothing that would give the common NJ citizen the effective means of protection outside the home will see daylight outside of committee. This WILL NOT  start a conversation among our legislators because they are vehemently against concealed/open carry and their decision towards issuance was made decades ago. Their malice and indifference towards us has spanned nearly 50 years in this State. Yeh, they'll converse with each other alright' WHEN THEIR PASSING PIECES OF THIS BILL BETWEEN STALLS!!  Realistically, The only way out of this would be a favorable ruling from SCOTUS to FORCE NJ to conform to a "shall issue" regime. We need the "coup de grace" not another 50 or 100 years of incremental change in our direction!

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, FairbanksRusty said:

I seem to remember we had a similar idea when Whitman was Governor and the Republicans rocked the Trenton statehouse. 

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/05/19/nyregion/nj-law-concealed-weapons-a-senator-says-their-time-has-come.html

There is a paywall on the article. Does anyone have a free copy?

• Thanks 1

• May 19, 1996

When the State Legislature banned the sale and possession of assault weapons in 1990, thousands of gun owners protested with seething letters and boisterous rallies. The issue has resurfaced this spring in the form of a proposal to allow citizens to carry concealed weapons.

The proposal comes from State Senator Gerald Cardinale, a conservative Bergen County Republican who is a member of the National Rifle Association. Under the current law, New Jersey residents may carry a handgun only if they can convince a Superior Court judge that their safety depends on it. But Mr. Cardinale's proposal would allow people to carry weapons if they pass a background check and take eight hours of training. At least 28 other states have passed similar laws, many in the last few years.

Senator Cardinale, a dentist from Demarest, said his wife gave him the idea for the proposal. She had read several newspaper accounts of carjackings, he said, and wanted to carry a gun in her car.

"I had to disabuse her of the notion that she could get a permit to do that," he said last week as legislative lawyers were reviewing the final draft of his proposal, which he is calling the Crime Reduction Act.

Senator Cardinale is backing up the proposal with statistics from states like Florida, which has allowed residents to carry firearms since 1987. Although violent crime has increased in Florida since then, the number of crimes involving handguns has dropped by 29 percent, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation's Uniform Crime Report for 1993. Five percent of Florida residents -- about 300,000 people -- have obtained permits to carry weapons, Mr. Cardinale said.

"Most people aren't going to start carrying guns, but the fact that the prey might be armed gives the criminal pause," he said. "In New Jersey, we have given criminals the monopoly on guns."

Some legislators and law enforcement officials say the Senator's theory does not hold up. Assemblyman Ken Zisa, a Bergen County Democrat who is also the Hackensack police chief, said changing the existing law would encourage criminals to be more violent.

"They will address each potential victim as if they are armed," he said, "and they will react to that with more violent acts."

Mary Warner, a trustee of the Coalition of New Jersey Sportsmen, which claims 600,000 members, said gun owners are rallying because they do not feel safe. The fact that violent crime dropped by 2 percentage points in 1994 has not quelled fears, she said, especially among women and parents.

New Jersey has some of the strictest gun-control laws in the country, most of which have received bipartisan support in recent years. Anyone who wants to buy a firearm must first apply to the local police department for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card, which involves a background check. Handgun owners must also obtain permits from local or state police, which involves a more rigorous check. To carry a handgun, New Jersey residents must go through a third background check and receive approval from a Superior Court judge, proving that their situation is so dangerous that they cannot leave home without a weapon.

Of the 1,046 New Jersey residents who received permits to carry concealed firearms in 1995, a vast majority were security guards, said John Hagerty, a spokesman for the State Police. Security guards and others who carry guns on the job (except police officers) must also go through a separate permit process and take a training course, he said.

Senator Cardinale said his proposal would be especially beneficial to women and merchants who frequently carry cash to the bank. In an ideal world, nobody would carry guns, he said, but the reality of violent crime makes New Jersey's current gun-control laws unfair. He added that many politicians and members of the news media have spread "erroneous notions" about guns that need to be corrected.

"All the editorial writers are saying this is a crazy idea, but Cardinale is not crazy," he said. "I'm saying the key is putting guns in the hands of honest people versus in the hands of criminals."

• Like 2