Lawnmower2021

Very slight gap under Red dot - Problem?

Hey Folks,

So I recently followed online instructions to put a Holosun 407K on my Canik Mete SFX.

I filed the rear pegs flat on the plastic plate, and there seemed to be a good snug fit with no side to side motion.

However, I notice this sliver of gap where the pegs go into the holes of the sight. Is this a big deal?

(You can faintly make out the white bleeding through in the image below. It's perfectly flush where I filed down.)

Maybe I need to shave the rear bracket down a bit? 

20220311_091847.jpg

45 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

If it holds zero and doesn't move, I wouldn't mess with it.

Thanks! It even maintained its point relative to a laser bore sight after taking it off and putting it back on. Will have to actually try shooting this thing :D The pegs do go into the holes and it is fairly rigid.

5 hours ago, ShootersShooter said:

I matched the same two and had no problem getting a flat fit fame to plate/plate to optic.

Nice setup ;)

Hmmm... did you do anything but grind down the rear pegs? It's only really apparent if I look hard. See the sliver of that white cloth that bleeds through on the plate. It's like the front pegs are too tall or something.

If I'm not staring right at it, it looks fine. I'm new to red dots so forgive the potential silliness of this; I just don't want to screw anything up in either direction. :D 

20220413_133350.jpg

20220413_133435_001_saved.jpg

20220413_133515.jpg

Sounds like a similar modification that’s required to put a 507 on a hellcat pro…had to grind off the rear 2 posts and take some off the height of the 2 front to get it to sit flat….that looks like what I had before I took material off the front 2 posts

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, pjd832 said:

Sounds like a similar modification that’s required to put a 507 on a hellcat pro…had to grind off the rear 2 posts and take some off the height of the 2 front to get it to sit flat….that looks like what I had before I took material off the front 2 posts

Thanks for sharing! I was hesitant to touch the front posts but after shaving them down carefully I now have a tight fit against the plate and it holds onto the shortened posts well :) Thanks all! 

• Like 1

Absolutely..glad it worked out for you! That’s how I felt taking a Dremel to the actual slide of a 2 hour possession but it was the only way to get  an adjustable brightness rds mounted without the crazy high rmrcc plate 

On 4/13/2022 at 1:45 PM, Lawnmower2021 said:

Nice setup ;)

Hmmm... did you do anything but grind down the rear pegs? It's only really apparent if I look hard. See the sliver of that white cloth that bleeds through on the plate. It's like the front pegs are too tall or something.

If I'm not staring right at it, it looks fine. I'm new to red dots so forgive the potential silliness of this; I just don't want to screw anything up in either direction. :D 

20220413_133350.jpg

20220413_133435_001_saved.jpg

20220413_133515.jpg

No, actually I used a  file not a power tool. Total time on install was less than 15 minutes. I had no white cloth, and I've seen two 507's on Caniks and one other 407 the same.

That's what bugged me: it seemed simpler.

Interestingly, leveling it out was enough to change the relative cowitness but the zero is the same. I also used a file; I slowly filed the front pegs down until I couldn't notice any light bleeding through the gap.

Maybe silly, but I figure more contact is good and I don't want any unnecessary stress on the screws.

• Agree 1

Well op, you’ve already filed and refitted so my question is a little late, but, I was going to ask if the screws were torqued correctly to spec. As in was an actual torque wrench used. My holosun scs instructions say torque to 15 inch pounds. 

12 hours ago, tjs3023 said:

Well op, you’ve already filed and refitted so my question is a little late, but, I was going to ask if the screws were torqued correctly to spec. As in was an actual torque wrench used. My holosun scs instructions say torque to 15 inch pounds. 

No, I did not use a torque wrench. After ~100 rounds it is steady and holds zero well.

But the torque wrench is a good point and noted, thank you! :) It can't hurt to be accurate after all this.