silverado427

Price of gas

35 minutes ago, FDHog said:

Gas lines and odd/even days for gas. The good old days.

i vaguely remember those. i was only 11 then. but i remember my grandparents complaining about it.

i was driving for the 79 "shortage" and clearly remember the odd/even thing. many of the stations around here the attendants also looked at your fuel gauge, and if we had over a half tank, they wouldn't sell us any gas. i remember super long lines too......

59 minutes ago, Xtors said:

During those days my father rigged a gizmo on the gas gauge to make it intentionally read low so he could get gas whenever he wanted.

i didn't know enough back then to do that, nor did my grandpop. we just kept switching back n forth between his mustang and grandmoms ranch wagon.

13 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i remember super long lines too......

Remember the guys hawking soda and subs on the gas lines?  There was a Hess station that typically had a line about a quarter mile long.  Every day at least one car would run out of gas and had to be pushed into the station.

The next gas crisis may be a lot different than the last two. I saw the PA story a few days ago on WFMZ Allentown.

An Unprecedented Wave Of Brazen Gasoline Thefts That Is Unlike Anything We Have Ever Seen Before – Investment Watch (investmentwatchblog.com)

Unfortunately for gas prices, the oil that’s pumped from the ground today won’t be in your gas tank for several months. 

We will be feeling this pain for awhile. I hope it works to our advantage come November. 

Looks like refinery workers at Chevron are going to strike. 
They have replaced them with non union, but I bet this still has bad consequences for gas prices. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/union-workers-chevron-refinery-prepare-strike-monday-2022-03-20/

3 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Looks like refinery workers at Chevron are going to strike. 
They have replaced them with non union, but I bet this still has bad consequences for gas prices. 

For CA maybe, eastern half of U.S. no.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:20 PM, 1LtCAP said:

i was driving for the 79 "shortage" and clearly remember the odd/even thing. many of the stations around here the attendants also looked at your fuel gauge

I remember that too. A friend had an odd plate and I had an even one. We would swap plates get gas and swap back. I don't recall anyone checking the gauge. I do remember a 7 gallon limit and since I had a Pontiac Bonneville and my friend had a Cadillac Fleetwood 7 gallons wasn't much. 

I was in high school . Had a way used 1971 gto with a 455 in it. 89 cents late 80's . 20 dollars i was good for a week of easy driving, no stomping on the gas of course. I used to say 5 dollars reg , as a kid, now the 20 is the new 5 dollars regular.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Unfortunately for gas prices, the oil that’s pumped from the ground today won’t be in your gas tank for several months. 

We will be feeling this pain for awhile. I hope it works to our advantage come November. 

in theory prices should start dropping though, as the market reacts to inreased supply.

8 hours ago, 70gto said:

It's got to be some kind of record . You can't destroy a country this fast unless it's on purpose. 

Aktually, its been decades in the making to get us to this point.

Just to name a few of the biggies that laid the ground work. The Kennedy assassination, Immigration act of 1965, Nixon closing the gold window in 1971..

• Agree 1