silverado427

Price of gas

44 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Diesel may be next on the 'out of stock' list.

Yeah, I've seen this issue raised in a few places now... yet I haven't seen any of the articles specifcally mention home fuel oil (which fuels my own house). Home fuel oil is essentially the same thing as diesel (I believe one of them - the diesel, I think? - just has a dye added to it to ensure certain taxes are collected). And I know that, because I've added diesel to my house's tank more than once before I signed up for an automatic delivery service.

My point is... are these 2 fuel supply chains kept completely separate...? It's hard to imagine that shortages of diesel won't necessarily result in shortages of home fuel oil, also... does anyone here have some knowledge about that stuff?

I suppose it's not quite as pressing right now, heading into warmer weather... but it's still a worrisome development for sure. If shortages affect both diesel AND home fuel oil supplies and then continue into colder seasons, then people's ability to heat their homes would also be impacted. So, yeah... potentially a HUGE problem... on multiple fronts!

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Now I see a shortage of pet food also. I do not know where it will stop. To fill up a tractor runs around 2K.... Yes 2K!!!

Now formula and dog food??? Plenty of deer around here, and some woodchuck too. My Pitties will not be hungry. But you know those unarmed libs with those lap dogs!1

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Home fuel oil is essentially the same thing as diesel

I do believe they're pretty close. But here's another thing to note.

You will hear periodically that U.S. oil is 'cleaner' than much of the other oil in the market. What that means in distillate terms is 'lighter'. Therefore, when cracking crude oil in the tower, you're going to get less % of diesel and similar grade distillates out of the 'cleaner' oil. So, how much 'heavier' oil do we need for that end of the distillate ladder?

My father worked for Esso/Exxon building refineries. I'll have to refresh myself on this topic and get back with some harder info. Unless someone here comes up with it first.

2 hours ago, 45Doll said:

You will hear periodically that U.S. oil is 'cleaner' than much of the other oil in the market. What that means in distillate terms is 'lighter'. Therefore, when cracking crude oil in the tower, you're going to get less % of diesel and similar grade distillates out of the 'cleaner' oil. So, how much 'heavier' oil do we need for that end of the distillate ladder?

My father worked for Esso/Exxon building refineries. I'll have to refresh myself on this topic and get back with some harder info. Unless someone here comes up with it first.

Shale oil is light, so yes less diesel fuel per barrel.

Speaking of refineries, something else that doesn't get mentioned is the east coast is down to about four refineries from seven, in the past ten years. Thus diesel capacity is way down from 1.3 million barrels per day to 800,000 or so. 

Our electrified future is lookin great as the war on fossil fuels causes major oil companies reduce Cap Ex and investment.  

On 5/13/2022 at 5:06 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Yeah, I've seen this issue raised in a few places now... yet I haven't seen any of the articles specifcally mention home fuel oil (which fuels my own house). Home fuel oil is essentially the same thing as diesel (I believe one of them - the diesel, I think? - just has a dye added to it to ensure certain taxes are collected). And I know that, because I've added diesel to my house's tank more than once before I signed up for an automatic delivery service.

My point is... are these 2 fuel supply chains kept completely separate...? It's hard to imagine that shortages of diesel won't necessarily result in shortages of home fuel oil, also... does anyone here have some knowledge about that stuff?

I suppose it's not quite as pressing right now, heading into warmer weather... but it's still a worrisome development for sure. If shortages affect both diesel AND home fuel oil supplies and then continue into colder seasons, then people's ability to heat their homes would also be impacted. So, yeah... potentially a HUGE problem... on multiple fronts!

Basically we have "on road diesel" for trucks on the roads with a lower sulfur content i believe.  It is blue in color.

The "heating oil" diesel is also diesel used for equipment on farms.   It is red in color.  There's a few gas stations in Pennsylvania near where I used to live where one can get heating oil at a pump.  The last time I got it....about a month ago, it was $5. 39 a gallon.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

This about sums it up.  This isn't a glitch due to "Putin's War" or "Covid / supply chains".  It's by design.  With purpose and intent.

https://youtu.be/z3AV9GXem6o

Stossel always confuses me with data. :o Shame on him!

Gas stations in Washington reprogram pumps to prepare for $10-a-gallon fuel as Bidenflation sends average price soaring to $4.57 - almost twice the $2.41 during Trump's final month

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10830591/Gas-stations-Washington-reprogram-pumps-prepare-10-gallon-fuel.html

edit/update:

US Will Soon See Average Gas Prices Above $6 A Gallon, JPMorgan Says

https://dailycaller.com/2022/05/18/us-gasoline-six-dollars-gallon-jpmorgan-joe-biden/

Edited by FXDX
add link
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

I have to admit, Biden did make good on a big campaign promise.

Several actually. He promised to admit at least 2,000,000 illegal aliens every year and destroy the fossil fuel industry.

Promises made, promised kept! Gas everywhere in Newton today: $4.80.

Next stop... FIVE DOLLARS!

30 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I actually had a dream last night that gas suddenly jumped above $6 and I regretted not filling up when it was $4 something

I regret not taking up an offer for two newly emptied 55gal fuel drums and filling them up at $4.27 when I had the chance.

8 minutes ago, Xtors said:

I put a quarter tank in my truck yesterday and filled up 3 5 gallon cans... first time I ever hit the $ fill limit of $100. Crimony...

try filling 6x five gallon cans twice a week, a 30 gallon dump truck and two 25 gallon pickup trucks.

We are loosing lawns every month because of the price increases.  Whatever are we going to do with the illegal immigrants doing the jobs that nobody wants to do, that nobody wants done anymore.  Last year we lost three lawns to robots.

On 5/20/2022 at 3:16 PM, Scorpio64 said:

I regret not taking up an offer for two newly emptied 55gal fuel drums and filling them up at $4.27 when I had the chance.

I believe NJ has a law on filling gas containers - nothing larger than 5 gal?  I noticed the sign at Costco gas the other day.  Not sure - some places may not care.

27 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I believe NJ has a law on filling gas containers - nothing larger than 5 gal?

They fill 'em all the time.  Especially boat tanks.  I wouldn't bring the drum to the gas station, off loading it would be a mutherfuker.  I'd just make a few trips with three or four 5gal containers and fill it where it would be stored.  There may be fire codes about having tanks at home larger than X, but I have a place off property to store it.