silverado427

Price of gas

19 minutes ago, CMJeepster said:

The White House is considering tapping the Northeast Home Heating Oil Reserve, created in 2000 to help with supply issues and used only once in 2012 in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. The impact from such a release would be limited by the relatively small size of the reserve, which only contains 1 million barrels of diesel.

Hrmm.

In 2020, distillate fuel consumption by the U.S. transportation sector, which is essentially diesel fuel, ... an average of about 122 million gallons per day

Yeah, that extra 1 million gallons will have a HAY-UGE impact...

So they are going to use a reserve designed to help people heat their homes in the northeast in the winter in case there is a heating oil shortage.

82% of the homes in the northeast are heated with oil.

What could possibly go wrong?

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, brucin said:

people heat their homes in the northeast in the winter in case there is a heating oil shortage.

How about this for an unintended consequence.  Home heating oil will get caught up in diesel pricing and suffer the same shortages.  If there is no heating oil, people will turn to wood burning stoves.  Thousands of acres will be cut down to heat homes.  So, the lefty idiots get their win by fucking up oil, but caused deforestation.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

How about this for an unintended consequence.  Home heating oil will get caught up in diesel pricing and suffer the same shortages.  If there is no heating oil, people will turn to wood burning stoves.  Thousands of acres will be cut down to heat homes.  So, the lefty idiots get their win by fucking up oil, but caused deforestation.

You are exactly correct! Home heating oil shortages is what I've been worried about for a few weeks now. As a result, I'm checking out firewood prices currently & will be ordering some in the early part of the summer. I have a woodburning stove that I don't use all that often, but I have a bad feeling that I might need to run it with some regularity this coming winter & I would prefer to buy the wood NOW rather than waiting until fall/early winter (when it will in all likelihood be even more scarce/costly). I imagine anyone with a woodburning stove or fireplace will also be buying more firewood this year. I agree, it's not at all "green" to burn wood... but hey, who can blame a homeowner for keeping that option on the table under the circumstances?

The current "energy policy" (or lack thereof) is so ill-planned, it's mind-boggling. So, people really need to be ready for the worst. Shortages certainly, but possibly even more hacking attacks on utility companies. At this point, when it comes to the basics (like having heat in winter), I want back-ups to my back-ups... and after that... even more back-ups:facepalm: 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

And the Green New Deal will be filled with soot and smoke. Cows will still fart. but we can all do our part and get an electric car!

ill-take-bs-for-100-alex.jpg

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

This administration is really in a bind (forgive me while I stifle a little snicker...). They know if the fuel prices continue to skyrocket, they are dead in the water politically. On the other hand, the Democrats have been beating the "Green" drum for so long, that if they go ahead and request that some refineries be restarted, they also will incur the wrath of their New Green Deal left flank of the party and all their minions, and, once again, they will be dead in the water. I don't see a political solution for them right now.

• Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

This administration is really in a bind (forgive me while I stifle a little snicker...). They know if the fuel prices continue to skyrocket, they are dead in the water politically. On the other hand, the Democrats have been beating the "Green" drum for so long, that if they go ahead and request that some refineries be restarted, they also will incur the wrath of their New Green Deal left flank of the party and all their minions, and, once again, they will be dead in the water. I don't see a political solution for them right now.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

They know if the fuel prices continue to skyrocket, they are dead in the water politically.

At this point, it's damage control.  They have totaled their party and trying to salvage their political futures by appearing to be doing something.  I dunno why the picked refineries to prop up the party, it's the freaking OIL stupid (not you Peel, you're a peach), We had enough refineries in 2019 to keep supply up to demand, what's the point in rebooting a shuttered refinery, it can only add to the problem of not having enough oil to refine.

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

At this point, it's damage control.  They have totaled their party and trying to salvage their political futures by appearing to be doing something.  I dunno why the picked refineries to prop up the party, it's the freaking OIL stupid (not you Peel, you're a peach), We had enough refineries in 2019 to keep supply up to demand, what's the point in rebooting a shuttered refinery, it can only add to the problem of not having enough oil to refine.

Optics.  So they can be perceived to be "doing something" about the problem they helped create.

• Agree 2

5 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

.  I dunno why the picked refineries to prop up the party, it's the freaking OIL stupid (not you Peel, you're a peach), We had enough refineries in 2019 to keep supply up to demand, what's the point in rebooting a shuttered refinery, it can only add to the problem of not having enough oil to refine.

Refinery capacity is way down since covid. 

There are three or four refineries on the east coast compared to seven ten years ago. Thats a big part of the reason gas and distillates are at record prices while crude oil is not

7 minutes ago, Bomber said:

There are three or four refineries on the east coast compared to seven ten years ago.

Just two and a half years ago, gas was $2.50, and there were no diesel or fertilizer shortages.  There was a surplus export market too.  I'm pretty sure this whole gas thing was planned, but not for the green new deal bs.  America's economy is being slowed down intentionally.  America has the capacity to produce everything we need. 

Jus say'n

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

This is team Biden, doing "something".

Yep.  And the base will eat it up.

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Just two and a half years ago, gas was $2.50, and there were no diesel or fertilizer shortages.  There was a surplus export market too.  I'm pretty sure this whole gas thing was planned, but not for the green new deal bs.  America's economy is being slowed down intentionally.  America has the capacity to produce everything we need. 

Jus say'n

Werd.

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Today in Newton 3 stations @ $4.69, one at $4.79. Diesel at $6.07!

And that’s regular fuel I take it. I spoke to a relative a few hours ago in upstate NY and he’s seeing $4.99 for regular. I wonder if Vegas has odds on when the food storage are coming via the Diesel fuel problems.

Off topic but Tucker has been following food processing plants disasters. I can’t remember them all but at least two were hit with planes and seen another added today https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/fire-destroys-minnesota-egg-farm/

we're in a lot of trouble...

Edited by FXDX
typo

30 minutes ago, FXDX said:

And that’s regular fuel I take it.

Yes. That's always the product I quote.

When I pulled in I asked the (black) attendant if I needed to take out a bank loan. He had a good laugh and said no, I'd just have to stop thinking about all those gifts for the grand kids. I shot back that I don't have grandkids but I did consider quitting drinking. He almost doubled over laughing and said something to the effect 'No, don't do that! That's going too far!" When the pump clicked off he asked me if I wanted a receipt and I said "God no, I don't want to get any more pissed off." Whereupon we traded 'have a good day' with 'stay cool out here' and I drove out.

I only mention the fact that he was black so you'd know he didn't think I was a white supremacist, no matter what Brandon said. Perhaps he didn't vote for Brandon, so he couldn't identify as black in spite of his skin color. Just two strangers trading laughs on a hot day.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, FXDX said:

Off topic but Tucker has been following food processing plants disasters. I can’t remember them all but at least two were hit with planes and seen another added today 

I assume one of the plane crashes was in Burley, Idaho.  I'm quite familiar with that one.  A commercial pilot making an instrument approach into the airport in a light plane clipped a chimney on the Gem State (potato) Processing Plant.   She was very likely too low on her approach (she had gone missed on the first attempt), and didn't break it off in time.  The chimney may have been unlit, and may have been taller than the plant told the FAA it was when the instrument approach was being mapped.   Those are questions for the NTSB to answer.  But a lovely young woman, Brittney Infanger, died in the crash.   It didn't affect the plant's operation at all.

The only other one I found in a brief web search was in Covington, Georgia, where a plane crash killed the flight instructor and student in a light twin practicing touch-and-go landings.   A lot of pilots refuse to do those in a twin--there is a lot that can go wrong.   This one missed the General Mills food processing plant by 300 yards, and also didn't affect the plant's operation at all.  

If Tucker was trying to weave those into some kind of conspiracy, I'm disappointed in him.