silverado427

Price of gas

8 hours ago, M1152 said:

Chevron oil refinery is engulfed in flames

https://twitter.com/rawsalerts/status/1590180946367897601

Ooof. California was already getting hosed due to insisting on special blends, those were expensive because they were only being made in CA refineries. Guess $7 a gallon + is back on the table. 

It's $3.69 to $3.99 for regular down in Gloucester County. Unfortunately, my car requires only super be used which is much higher. Fortunately for me, I have not paid a penny for gas for over 40 years.....A company benefit!:)

• Informative 1

10 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

It's $3.69 to $3.99 for regular down in Gloucester County. Unfortunately, my car requires only super be used which is much higher. Fortunately for me, I have not paid a penny for gas for over 40 years.....A company benefit!:)

3.69 out in front of me. was 3.89 last week. before that it was down into the 3.40's i suspect we'll hit 4 again soon

Visiting family in the South.  Lowest I saw yesterday was $2.85 in Georgia.  Seems to be averaging $3.15 - $3.40ish.  Was high $3s low $4 when I left dirty Jersey.

Prepay option yesterday on car rental was $3.35.   I took it.  With hurricane hitting I'm sure prices will be up before I turn it in.

Gonna be a long winter.  Yesterday's fuel oil delivery was $5.82 a gallon, and we've got a big, old drafty house.  The oil company estimates about $8,000 for the year, based on past consumption (heat, and year-round hot water).   

I've spent years adding insulation, weatherstripping, programmable thermostats, and tight-fitting cellular shades that stay down all winter.   Not much more I can do to make things better prior to a planned move out of state next year.

The thermostats seem glitchy.  They seem to adjust up slightly whenever my wife walks by one.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 10X said:

The thermostats seem glitchy.  They seem to adjust up slightly whenever my wife walks by one.

I'm familiar with that malfunction. And in the summer they adjust down.

As for the oil, you have my sympathy. I hope for you and my other oil fired friends that we don't run into rationing.

23 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I wonder what the cost per 1000 BTUs is for electricity now, compared to heating oil.  Electric is traditionally the most expensive way to heat, but I wonder what the break point is for it being cheaper than oil.

Here's the data:

Current electric (PSEG residential) is $.200476 per KWH delivered

Straight resistance heat (in an Amana PTAC unit):

230V  3.5KW rating  delivers 12,000 BTU/H

208V 3.0KW rating delivers 9,900 BTU/H

You do the computations. It's Friday night and I'm fried. 

We’ve been looking at homes in northern Idaho, and I’m surprised that quite a number have electric heat, even that close to Canada.  But Idaho has a lot of cheap hydro power, rates most places are no more than 0.10/KWH. 

On 11/7/2022 at 6:00 PM, 45Doll said:

On the northeast extension. Also saw a manual sign 'out of diesel' going out route 80 W.

thumbnail_image.thumb.png.7bc335bdeb5623a91e2ed95aaaa8457f.png

This came up on the Pennsylvania forum.  The sign was up (as early as 2020 I believe) because the fuel tanks were being replaced, so it is bascally fake news.

9 hours ago, father-of-three said:

This came up on the Pennsylvania forum.  The sign was up (as early as 2020 I believe) because the fuel tanks were being replaced, so it is bascally fake news.

I rarely go on the NE extension, so I wouldn't have known that. They've been replacing fuel tanks for two years?

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

I rarely go on the NE extension, so I wouldn't have known that. They've been replacing fuel tanks for two years?

Here's the link to the pafoa.org "gas prices" thread.  I thought the same thing when I first saw that picture too.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=385213&page=152

3 minutes ago, father-of-three said:

Here's the link to the pafoa.org "gas prices" thread.  I thought the same thing when I first saw that picture too.

https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=385213&page=152

OK, so it's the picture that's supposed to be old.

I see later in the thread that diesel in Easton is now $7.

18 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

You do the computations. It's Friday night and I'm fried. 

Here are some interesting tidbits taken from various sites, along with some of my own computations.  The accuracy is sketchy (some figures vary by vested interest of sources), but should fall in the ballpark.

120VAC produces a max potential of 3,413 BTU per kWh

A 1500W rated (120VAC 12.5A) space heater produces 5,120 BTU/h (or 122,880 BTU in a 24hr period)

1 gal. of HHO = 40.6 kWh

1 gal. HHO = 135,500 BTUs

@ $0.20/kWh it costs approx $0.30/hr to run a 1500W space heater at full output.

The amount of energy in 1g #2 is135,500 BTUs, which is equal to a 1500W space heater operating at full output for 27 hours.

Old(er) furnaces typically operate at 54% - 70% efficiency

Newer furnaces operate as high as 93% efficiency.

Electric space heaters operate at nearly 100% efficiency, as there is no heat exchanger.

At current prices, it costs about $8.10 to produce the same amount of BTUs with electricity (@ .20/kWh) as 1 gal HHO at $5.50/g (no, I'm not showing my math, it's probably a bit off anyway.)

So, here's what I'm thinking.  If #2 gets rationed, at the very least oil can be conserved using space heaters in key rooms.  If the electric heater is used 14 hours a day, and runs a 50% duty cycle, it could cost as little as $2.00/day to keep key rooms comfortable at 72deg while the rest of the house is at 65deg (or lower).  The older and less efficient the house furnace is, the greater the savings.

If your house is old and drafty, put film over windows and insulate doors, exterior outlets and switches.  All combined, the amount of cold air coming in is like leaving a window open in the middle of winter.