gleninjersey

Dehydrator

I'm thinking about purchasing a dehydrator to make our own jerky.

For some reason I've only thought about making jerky around hunting season.  

But it could be useful year round.  Maybe get a vacuum sealer as well and make some jery for now and store some away.

So for those who make their own jerky, what dehydrator are you using?  How do you like it?  Wish you had purchased something else?

40 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

I'm thinking about purchasing a dehydrator to make our own jerky.

For some reason I've only thought about making jerky around hunting season.  

But it could be useful year round.  Maybe get a vacuum sealer as well and make some jery for now and store some away.

So for those who make their own jerky, what dehydrator are you using?  How do you like it?  Wish you had purchased something else?

I've seen some nice homebuilt ones, including one Dad made when I was a kid.  We dried a lot of fruit and jerky on that thing.   I don't have plans for it, but they're out there.   Since temps remain low, wood construction works fine.

I use a smoker to make jerky--just keep the temperature fairly low, and the product is exceptional...plus you'd have all of the flexibility of a smoker for turning out real BBQ.    I use a WSM  Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker