Andy, I just built one myself this week, haven’t tried it yet, but seems sturdy.

3 10’ lengths of 1” conduit from Home Depot all cut in half.

bought 2 of these from McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/4936T179 if the set screws don’t hold well I was going to drill the pipe and use shear pins, we’ll see. I had to ream out the fittings a bit so the pipe slid on easily, dremel took care of that.

Bought these hooks from Amazon, High Caliber Targets Est. 2012 V Shape Hooks, few reviews I read, people complained about the target popping off the half hooks. 

Once set up the targets hang about 30” off the ground.

5 minutes ago, Redeye65 said:

Andy, I just built one myself this week, haven’t tried it yet, but seems sturdy.

3 10’ lengths of 1” conduit from Home Depot all cut in half.

bought 2 of these from McMaster Carr https://www.mcmaster.com/4936T179 if the set screws don’t hold well I was going to drill the pipe and use shear pins, we’ll see. I had to ream out the fittings a bit so the pipe slid on easily, dremel took care of that.

Bought these hooks from Amazon, High Caliber Targets Est. 2012 V Shape Hooks, few reviews I read, people complained about the target popping off the half hooks. 

Once set up the targets hang about 30” off the ground.

From what I understand  you just reverse one hook, One to the front and one the rear. I'll be shooting a 8" gong  1/2" ar500 steel.

I'm pretty sure its not going to come off the hooks.  

https://shootingtargets7.com/products/st7-t-post-hooks-pair

I use these t-post hangers with a pair of t-posts. I bought a roll of decommissioned fire hose for straps. It's just better behaved overall and tolerates getting shot and catching splatter better than chain. Then some carriage bolts, washers, and extra nuts as spacers so that targets hang tilted down. I also chopped down the t-post to a reasonable height. 

It's the most minimal setup I have come across to date, and no splinters or lead riddled wood, and they are height adjustable if a bit on the heavy side. 

I have been considering 3d printing an alternative to the t-post hangers that would work with conduit and just cut the conduit at an angle. 

Here's my target stand.  The back legs do unscrew so I can slide it in my pickup,  and it clears the tonneau cover.

I'm going to put a tie bar on it across the legs.  Fugkin 3/4" black pipe is expensive.

33" to the top of the bar. 24" center of gong.

IMG_0701.jpg