70gto

Body Armor recommendations

If this is under wrong section, mods please move it. Thanks

Hi I have been out of the loop for a while, recommendations for hard armor plates including ceramic. 

Whats a good manufacturer or system for rifle threats 3a ar 500? Level iv ceramics, stand alone vs plate and kevlar.  Relatively lightweight good reputation and customer service are important without selling 2 kidneys , 1 is OK. 

Is there something that can be outright obvious with the ability to switch carriers and then be a relatively concealed. I know its hard to conceal hard armor  but I seen a carrier or two that tries to makes it less conspicuous under some heavy clothing.  1 system that can do both with appropriate carriers.

I need it bc I want it, lol. 

Cliff notes: if you needed to go fight somewhere what would you buy? NO,  I'm not doing that, but If I asked in one sentence that would be the way to describe what I am asking for. 

Thanks

L210's are thinner and lighter than NIJ Level IV plates.  I have Hesco 4400's as well as LAPG Level IV equivalent (NOT NIJ certified) - both are heavier and thicker.  They will definitely stop more threats, however they're completely non-concealable.

2 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

L210's are thinner and lighter than NIJ Level IV plates.  I have Hesco 4400's as well as LAPG Level IV equivalent (NOT NIJ certified) - both are heavier and thicker.  They will definitely stop more threats, however they're completely non-concealable.

great to know , thanks again

Hard armor has 3 categories to consider when choosing what works:

• Affordable
• Lightweight
• Effective

You get to choose 2.

Do not get Steel plates. HDPE, Ceramic, or hybrid is the way to go.
Spend the $$ for multicurve.
I like SAPI and Shooter cuts.
Don’t get plates too big - 10x12 is generally right for most normal sized people.
Wear them correctly - don’t let them sag.
Don’t skimp on the carrier.
Pay attention to if the plates are stand alone or have to be worn in conjunction with soft armor backers.

Rule of thumb - get armor that stops the round you carry. Then do some research on what other common threats are in your area.

Hesco has a good reputation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

If you're worried about size and weight/concealment - go for Hesco L210s.

Under $350 shipped.

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/Hesco-L210-Special-Threat-Plate-Set/

They sell as a 2 plate set, is that meant for 1 worn on your chest and 1 worn on your back?

2 hours ago, CMJeepster said:

2022 Darwin Award winners? :facepalm:  Idiots. How utterly tragic and COMPLETELY preventable. All gallows humor aside... a child is dead, another will be no doubt plagued with guilt (probably until the day he dies), and there are associated grief-stricken family and friends right now who are left just reeling - all due to one thoughtless act of sheer stupidity. So very sad.

• Haha 1

I'm 6'3" and about 310. I have the 11 x14 LAPG level IV ceramic which are heavy. They were relatively cheap and the reviews on YouTube were good. If I was doing it all over again, I would go with the 10x12 as the coverage would have been acceptable and it would have been a few pounds less.

• Like 1