45Doll

Billiard Cars This Morning on Route 81 in PA

We were at our undisclosed PA location. This morning around 11 our phones went off with a weather alert. Now we know why. This was the scene on Route 81 in Schuylkill County south of Hazleton.

https://www.fox3now.com/up-to-20-vehicles-are-involved-in-fiery-pile-up-on-an-interstate-in-pennsylvania/

• Sad 4

24 minutes ago, YankeeSC said:

Whomever was videoing that was in grave danger and didn't even realize it.

They seemed to realize it, but it's not like there was a safe place to be. Waiting in his car would have been a shittier option. 

https://www.wkok.com/crash-involving-50-60-vehicles-on-i-81-in-schuylkill-county-mass-causality-incident-declared/

Five people are now confirmed dead after a crash involving 50-60 vehicles vehicles in Foster Township, Schuylkill County Monday morning. The crash was reported just before 11 a.m. near Exit 116 on I-81 northbound. According to the Schuylkill County Fire Wire, a mass casualty incident was declared shortly after the crash was first reported.

I-81 north is shutdown at mile marker 107 and southbound is shutdown at mile marker 124.

The fire wire initially reported multiple vehicles on fire and many people trapped, but around 1 p.m. Monday, the fire wire reported all extrications have been completed except for one active entrapment. The fire wire indicated earlier Monday all manpower was forced to walk up and down the highway to ensure all were extricated from their vehicles.

Emergency communications have indicated the road is ‘just ice.’

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Bomber said:

Crash and burn all around and the guy is laughing about his totaled POS Charger..

he should be thankful it got totaled.....they were shiit when they were new back then.....

that said.....looked like a fuel tanker right at that fire too.

and it looked like the wrecker hit something too.

all 'round mess there.......

23 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Absolutely insane. The person who was standing by their car when a driver plowed into it,  should buy a lottery ticket.

EVERYONE should pulled their car off as far as possible if it was movable... if not - get the heck out way into the woods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

EVERYONE should pulled their car off as far as possible if it was movable... if not - get the heck out way into the woods.

Looks like that Swift foods truck is what really set off the carnage, going way too fast for the conditions as usual.

And I guess truckers don't used CB's anymore to warn other truckers of hazards ahead? That or they can't speak english.

I don't remember so many pile ups like this in the past, the truckers back then would've been on their CB's immediately with "Breaker 1-9, Breaker 1-9"!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bomber said:

Looks like that Swift foods truck is what really set off the carnage, going way too fast for the conditions as usual.

And I guess truckers don't used CB's anymore to warn other truckers of hazards ahead? That or they can't speak english.

I don't remember so many pile ups like this in the past, the truckers back then would've been on their CB's immediately with "Breaker 1-9, Breaker 1-9"!

I agree.  Though If you look at the dashcam video at the link above there was literally 10 seconds warning because of the visibility.  And after the hit, getting on the radio may not be the priority.  

Maybe don’t go 75 in zero visibility. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

EVERYONE should pulled their car off as far as possible if it was movable

Everyone should have pulled over as soon as visibility was practically zero.  The folks who just plowed on through the whiteout are the same idiots that drive through five foot deep "puddles".

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

.  And after the hit, getting on the radio may not be the priority.  

Maybe don’t go 75 in zero visibility. 

The way it worked was truckers traveling in either direction would get on their CB's and warn oncoming truckers of road hazards, preferably before crashing.

• Like 1

I probably should point out that this morning at the house, although several snow squalls came through, there were also many intervals of sun and no real solid cloud deck.  Certainly nothing even close to conditions in the video. So it’s quite possible the drivers on 81 were in mostly OK conditions, until they ran up on this micro-storm.

And after the local accounts came out I realized it was about 30 miles south of our location off 81.

Here's an update from WFMZ. Apparently only 3 killed. More videos and pictures.

3 dead in pileup of dozens of vehicles on I-81 in Schuylkill | Poconos and Coal Region | wfmz.com

6242049ac51a7.image.jpg?resize=889,500

5 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

side note.........this shows exactly why we should all be keeping emergency supplies in our vehicles.

Exactly. This morning around 11 out there in PA it was in the low 20's with a 15-20 MPH wind. So the wind chill was down around 0-10.

And if you had to bail out of your vehicle and take shelter on the shoulder, how long would you be able to endure those conditions? The estimate to clear the roadway was 8 -10 hours.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Exactly. This morning around 11 out there in PA it was in the low 20's with a 15-20 MPH wind. So the wind chill was down around 0-10.

And if you had to bail out of your vehicle and take shelter on the shoulder, how long would you be able to endure those conditions? The estimate to clear the roadway was 8 -10 hours.

i see lots of people driving even in the winter time without a heavy coat. that wouldn't work well. nohat? most body heat is lost through ones head. no......i personally keep a bag in my vehicle with extra clothing(swap it out between summer and winter), socks, a booboo kit, couple tools, light, gloves, etc.

8 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Really amazing how fast the crash scene comes into view. Watching the video, I actually thought the visibility wasn't too bad.

WRONG!

As of the 9AM live-on-the-scene report on WFMZ news, there are now five confirmed dead, and the clearance work is estimated to be 40% complete. 81 north will definitely be closed the rest of today. Many of the tractor trailers are in pieces, and they've got heavy tow and lift equipment in there to pull them apart. I can only imagine what shape the roadbed is in.

Here's the web update.

5 dead in I-81 pileup in Schuylkill, NB detour continues | Poconos and Coal Region | wfmz.com

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

Really amazing how fast the crash scene comes into view. Watching the video, I actually thought the visibility wasn't too bad.

That A-hole (and other trucks) was going way too fast in near zero visibility conditions driving a 50,000+ lbs. train on a slick road. 

I wonder if he killed the guy that had to dive out of the way? 

I watched the 5 PM update out of Allentown. The death toll is still five, and they're not going to have all those vehicles moved out until at least tomorrow.

Then PennDOT is going to have to bring in a milling machine to take off the top layers now contaminated with gas, oil and foam and repave that surface. From the video it looks like the road edges are going to need some help too. A lot of gouging went on.

One more note. That truck you may have noticed in the middle of the pack full of upright gas cylinders? The cylinders were full of acetylene!

10 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i see lots of people driving even in the winter time without a heavy coat. that wouldn't work well. nohat? most body heat is lost through ones head. no......i personally keep a bag in my vehicle with extra clothing(swap it out between summer and winter), socks, a booboo kit, couple tools, light, gloves, etc.

I learned to always carry a winter coat driving my Austin Healey back in the 60s which, being a British sports car, was always prone to breaking down.

7 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I learned to always carry a winter coat driving my Austin Healey back in the 60s which, being a British sports car, was always prone to breaking down.

You are clearly unaware of the automated picturesque view location detector on those classic British cars. They always found more great views when it was raining, for some reason.

• Haha 1