Xtors

Taurus 617

Anyone have or shot a Taurus 617? I am thinking about a J frame wheel gun. 357 mag not required but if it can be had from a decent price then extra bonus. I like the 617 because it holds 7 rounds unlike the S&Ws, which are all 5 I believe.

Side note: the 617 is almost impossible to find so any purchase leads would be appreciated.

Had a blued version years ago, it was a nice example. Shot a few cylinders, had decent smooth trigger and shot well. Little bigger than j frame size and price was under $400 then I believe. Saw they have a small 6 shot think 38 special, don’t remember model number or size compared to 617 .

Firearms are just machines. They tend to be very durable, but can go wrong and some have been badly Bubbered. Buying sight unseen is always a risk, but for things that are scarce you might have no other option.

Usually, for GB auctions, although there is no warranty, you do have the option to refuse the gun upon inspection at your FFL. Who pays the shipping fees back to the seller varies. You would have to make a case for it not matching the description in some tangible way to have a chance of having the seller paying shipping and getting all your money back.

If you are comparing S&W frame sizes the 617 is more like a K frame.

Older Taurus J frame size was a model 85 5 shot replaced now with slightly larger model 856 with 6 rds. The 856 has many variations lightweight and steel frame . Think there's still a small J size 5 shot model 605

As far as used guns, auctions , frame size , warranties etc , do your research and go with what your comfortable with.