EdF

Trap Guns

Hello all . . . My club has a nice trap/five stand range and I'm interested in shooting a few times a year.  I can't tell you the last time that I pulled the trigger on a shotgun.  I have two pump action tackticals with 18.5  in. barrels.  Not really useful in this vein.  

What can I look for to get in for a reasonable price?  I'd prefer two barrels to make it work for five stand but I don't want to spend a grand or more for a gun I'm going to shoot a few times a year.

I started with a Remington 870, then got Weatherby Orion O/U for under a grand and have had no issues with it in 3 years.

But honestly if you don't mind picking up hulls go for the Beretta A300 it's a great gun, I've shot trap and sporting clays with it, shoots everything recoil is minimal and you could probably get a new one for 800-900. Might get a 2nd one so both my boys have one.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I just won a TriStar semi auto today. I'm not certain, but I think it is the Viper G2 Sporting in Red - they didn't let me fondle it at the event today. I'll see it tomorrow.

I'm already happy with the shotgun collection I have, so if they won't let me trade it for something else it may be up for sale here pretty soon.

42 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I just won a TriStar semi auto today. I'm not certain, but I think it is the Viper G2 Sporting in Red - they didn't let me fondle it at the event today. I'll see it tomorrow.

I think that's the 12ga model of the 20ga semi auto I have (Youth convertible one) - it's pretty decent but not something you really need with your current collection.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:48 PM, EdF said:

Hello all . . . My club has a nice trap/five stand range and I'm interested in shooting a few times a year.  I can't tell you the last time that I pulled the trigger on a shotgun.  I have two pump action tackticals with 18.5  in. barrels.  Not really useful in this vein.  

What can I look for to get in for a reasonable price?  I'd prefer two barrels to make it work for five stand but I don't want to spend a grand or more for a gun I'm going to shoot a few times a year.

Any quality 12 ga. will suffice until the bug bites you and then you'll want an upgrade when you get serious. I like double's for sporting clays but again a single-barrel gun will suffice with the right choke. 

On 4/3/2022 at 10:18 PM, Krdshrk said:

I think that's the 12ga model of the 20ga semi auto I have (Youth convertible one) - it's pretty decent but not something you really need with your current collection.

Having fondled it in the store, I decided I didn't want it. Jim offered a fair trade-in price so I got a decent chunk off a Benelli Ethos 20g instead. Hopefully I can pick it up later this week.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:34 PM, Mr.Stu said:

I'm already happy with the shotgun collection I have, so if they won't let me trade it for something else it may be up for sale here pretty soon.

I have 12 gauge version of the gun and I use it for sporting clays. I love the thing. When I got my hunting license even the guy who administers the test asked if he could take some shots with it and he liked it.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:34 PM, Mr.Stu said:

I'm not arguing with anybody but I was told that just about every club member who bought a Tristar, had it back to the factory for repair and ended up selling it . . .. Interesting . . . 

3 hours ago, Parker said:

Any quality 12 ga. will suffice until the bug bites you and then you'll want an upgrade when you get serious.

^^^ this ^^^

For starting out in trap and sporting clays, an O/U or a semi auto is the ticket.  I do not recommend a pump action, simply because there is an additional movement that requires training and concentration to stay on target.  It will detract from your game.  Though, if all one has is a pump, it will still get the job done, it's just a bit more tedious when shooting at multiple targets or for any length of time.  Generally speaking, pumps are hunting guns first, meant to take a handful of "targets" a day.

The main benefit to an O/U is two chokes, reliability also rates high.  It won't make much difference in the beginning, but as you get better, you will be able to take advantage of having that flexibility of two chokes.  It's handy when there's varying distance to target such as you may find in sporting clays.  On better trap/skeet guns, the barrel is weighted forward for good balance and a smooth follow through. 

Semi autos are very popular because of the perception of softer recoil, but be aware that some fiddling may be necessary to get them to cycle with target loads.  Not all, just some.  A few autos can be tweaked with an adjustable gas port, others require springs replaced or some other tinkering.  If you decide to go with a semi, just make sure it can cycle lighter target loads or be adjusted in some way or another.

A 28" bbl is good for trap and great for sporting clays and skeet.  A 30 or 32 inch barrel is ideally what you'd want for a dedicated trap gun, but would be awkward for sporting clays.

If you really get bit by regulation trap, you may find yourself shopping for a single barrel trap gun (Browning BT-99 for example).  That's a ways off though.  You need to find out if you like the sport before plunking down $1800+ for a single purpose shotgun.  Oh yeah, and reloading

One does not need an expensive shotgun to enjoy clay shooting, at least not in the beginning.  If you are busting clays just for fun, there is no practical difference between a $400 shotty and a $2,000 masterpiece.  Start with the best in a reasonable price range, then when you hit a performance wall, that's the time to start looking for something more purpose built.  If your score doesn't improve, give up trap, you suck at it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

If your score doesn't improve, give up trap, you suck at it

Don't give it up. We need more people in shooting sports not less.

If you enjoy going out and shooting with friends or meeting other like minded people who aren't in a competition scores don't really matter. Scores only matter for yourself.

I'm very competitive and enjoy shooting with people of all levels. I've had good and bad days. I shoot for fun and always try to improve.

You'll know when you stop enjoying the sport and its time to quit.

On 4/3/2022 at 4:48 PM, EdF said:

One of the things I miss; having retired and moved from South Jersey, is shooting trap and 5-stand at Telco.

Its a great bunch of folks, and a lot of fun. 

Just about any good hunting shotgun that fits you will work; pump, semi, o/u or sxs. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rifleman said:

Get a used 30" Beretta, best value. Send it out for inspection & repair immediately and you will be good for years.

I've shot trap with many guns but have concentrated on just four when it came to shooting seriously for scores. They are: a 32" single-barrel BT-99, a Belgium O/U with 28" barrels, a Ruger SC with 30" barrels on doubles-trap, and an 11-87 with a 26" bbl. Most comfortable shooting is the gas auto, then the Belgium O/U. Least comfortable shooting was the BT-99 and Ruger SC. My best scores are with the 11-87 & Belgium O/U. Gun fit, not barrel length is more important, at least for me.