1LtCAP

tree of heaven

5 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

giphy.gif

it's a tree. it's invasive. it's what the spotted lantern flies like to nest on. i've never seen one till i just picked it up. a friend had a few in his back yard, and dropped them last week.  i'm trying to find out if it can be burned in my stove, or if it'll fook up the flue like burning pine would.

It is a hardwood, and a number of web sites say it's fine as a source of firewood, though very difficult to split.

The living trees stink (it's also called stinking sumac) and the sap, leaves, and roots contain various toxins and allergens...but apparently that nastiness doesn't carry over into the dried wood.

I've not personally used any as firewood.  It hasn't invaded our property (yet).

17 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

I think i know what tree your talking about, Its a wild  scrub/pos.   My neighbor has a few on our fence line. 

The one's i'm talking about have 3/4" spikes on them. 

No.  Thats probably a thorned honey locust. 

Or probably a black locust.  

• Informative 1

44 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

I think i know what tree your talking about, Its a wild  scrub/pos.   My neighbor has a few on our fence line. 

The one's i'm talking about have 3/4" spikes on them. 

no. my friend didn't say anything about thorns. it was dropping some kind of sap though that was killing everything near it.....

Theres a tree in Nicaragua that does that.  But not in the north east that i know of.  Blame it on psychedelics?   Anyway.  Walnut trees.  Biennial producers mostly.  In the juglans family.  Has a toxin in their roots that will kill most species of other trees and deep rooted shrubs when in contact with the subservient roots systems of other ones.  

24 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Theres a tree in Nicaragua that does that.  But not in the north east that i know of.  Blame it on psychedelics?   Anyway.  Walnut trees.  Biennial producers mostly.  In the juglans family.  Has a toxin in their roots that will kill most species of other trees and deep rooted shrubs when in contact with the subservient roots systems of other ones.  

I have a huge Black Walnut tree in my neighbors yard and I can't grow anything near it's 50 foot roots!  It grows big green balls that fall all over my yard making a huge mess!

download.jpg

Theres soo many uses for walnuts.  If you’re into that.  So many very healthy uses for them.  Anyway.  There are things you can grow under them that the juglans roots wont kill.  Forsythia. Sunflowers.  Burning bush.  Euonymus compacta I believe is another one.  Google that crap. Its limited.  But viable. 

• Thanks 1

Btw. Im not just googling shit.  This is what i do for the last 25 years.  I kinda know stuff when it comes to nature.  If all goes bad.  Ill most likely live.  And the rest of you.  Well.  I got plenty of ammo.  Learn living off the land.  Learn to reload. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Golf battery said:

Btw. Im not just googling shit.  This is what i do for the last 25 years.  I kinda know stuff when it comes to nature.  If all goes bad.  Ill most likely live.  And the rest of you.  Well.  I got plenty of ammo.  Learn living off the land.  Learn to reload. ;)

I'm good with ammo and reloading. I have more components and ammo than I can use in this life!  As far as living off the land goes.....I am screwed!:(

I don’t know about the toxins but they have that soft middle that I wouldn’t expect to burn well.  They are also a pain in the ass to get rid of. Root suckers will popup after you cut it down. Yet another thing about China we can hate.