njviper91

Quick OGAM clarification

3 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

You can start the process to acquire another handgun after 30 days have elapsed, with day 1 being the day after you last completed an acquisition.

Yeah that was my confusion, if I got it on the 9th then the clock starts on the 10th.  So i was confused if I can do it ON the 30th day or after.  I think April 8 in On the 30th day.

On 4/6/2022 at 7:44 PM, PK90 said:

You must ask yourself if a denial is worth not waiting a day longer.

NICS doesn't deny applicants for submitting a NICS check before the 30 days any more, the NICS will be approved. Rather the FARS E permit system will not let a dealer execute a permit before the 30 days is complete.

34 minutes ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

NICS doesn't deny applicants for submitting a NICS check before the 30 days any more, the NICS will be approved. Rather the FARS E permit system will not let a dealer execute a permit before the 30 days is complete.

I didn't know that.

So the NICS check is performed 1st and will approve the purchaser, then the FARS will deny the permit execution?

If so, one can do a NICS check a few days after acquiring a handgun for another handgun, then wait 29 days before picking up the 2nd one.

11 hours ago, PK90 said:

I didn't know that.

So the NICS check is performed 1st and will approve the purchaser, then the FARS will deny the permit execution? Yes, you will get a red message on the screen saying that the permit cannot be executed within 30 days of the last permit. Once the 30 days is out the system will allow the permit to be used.

If so, one can do a NICS check a few days after acquiring a handgun for another handgun, then wait 29 days before picking up the 2nd one. In theory yes that could be done. Although if your NICS approval is more than 30 days old the system will say there is no approved NICS in the system and therefore the permit cannot be executed. So you'd need to get the timing just right.

I also think there is an ATF rule about being eligible to receive a firearm at the time you sign the 4473, so doing another NICS early may not be allowed for that reason.