GFarra31

Work out routines for firearms? Sounds silly...but

Good morning everyone,

There seems to be workout routines for everything these days and i was wondering if there are any workouts or exercises I should incorporate into my general routine that will help in the use of firearms?   Things to build better grip strength or upper/lower body routines to help stay in the correct formation when shooting?

I havent been inside a gym since the lockdowns and will be getting my workout routine back in gear.   Looking to see what I should be adding.

Thanks, George

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat with being out of the gym this whole time.

I imagine a strong core being essential to shooting as with anything else. Not sure if grip strength is a huge focus specifically, but shoulders and back may be surprisingly important for stable aim.

Am also interested in any advice here.

1 hour ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I'm in the same boat with being out of the gym this whole time.

I imagine a strong core being essential to shooting as with anything else. Not sure if grip strength is a huge focus specifically, but shoulders and back may be surprisingly important for stable aim.

Am also interested in any advice here.

For sitting at a port and shooting? Grip strength and some additional forearm work that won't be caught just by typical grip trainers.  Most of the rest of the upper body stuff in form and managing recoil is primary skeletal.  Unless you are not very strong, and then some trapezius strength will help with holding a gun up for longer without fatigue. 

For run and gun?  Grip, legs, and core. For 3 gun stick some basic aerobic proficiency at the top of the list. Long range stuff will punish you for not keeping your heart rate down to something reasonable. For legs you need to be able to launch yourself from a start pretty well and I've seen plyometrics recommended for this, but haven't tried them. You also need to be able to change direction, which needs some strength, but also technique. Learning how to do a skip step and various styles of skip step can help a lot here. Core ties your upper body into the above leg stuff to up the power and really comes into developing a stable base, especially while pivoting the upper body. Technique things for stability are being able to hold a half squat and an Asian squat. 

Also practicing position transition positions. 

Standing to prone to standing

standing to urban/side prone to standing. 

Standing to brokeback prone to standing. 

Standing to half squat to standing, 

Standing to asian squat to standing. 

Standing to single leg kneel to standing. 

You can also do from all the squats to all the prone positions. 

IMO if you're disciplined and just do basic calisthenics every day you'll more than cover things.  You don't need lots of time or equipment, just the discipline to do it.

Here's a basic routine.  Skip to the jump squats if you don't have access to the pull up/dip bars:

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/calisthenics

I use this to improve my control when using a handgun.  I'm sure grip strength decreases when you age.  I'm also sure there are other products out there.  In addition to Amazon, REI Sports has them as well.

https://www.amazon.com/PROHANDS-Strengthener-Spring-Loaded-Finger-Piston-Tension/dp/B000UMHUSI/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=Gripmaster&qid=1649642655&sr=8-6