Scorpio64

M1 Garand Reloading

Just wondering what recipes Garand reloaders here are using.  I have the basic book specs, what I'm most interested in is what you've done to work up pet loads, things like any special case prep, favorite bullet weight, throat lead in, etc.  Garand specific.

33 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Just wondering what recipes Garand reloaders here are using.  I have the basic book specs, what I'm most interested in is what you've done to work up pet loads, things like any special case prep, favorite bullet weight, throat lead in, etc.  Garand specific.

I've done nothing special. I started with Master Po's Garand loads, and also searched the CMP forums for data for lighter weight bullets like the 125 Speer TNT. (I have not found any .30 cal. rifle that cannot shoot that bullet well, and recoil is mild.) I've used four powders to date: 3031, 4064, W748, and both brands of 4895. Bullet weights from 125 gr. to 150 grs. I had hangfires with W748, probably because of wrong primer or I was starting off too low on the powder weight. I've never gone back to testing with it.  I've been meaning to try 168's HPBT's but haven't had the time, life got in the way. I use the standard gas plug too, no adjustable gas plug. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Are you using faster powder under the 125s? 

No.

H4895 & IMR4064 work fine, just more powder. Same powders I find most accurate in the .308 Win. 

I have yet to try Varget. Maybe that will happen sometime this summer. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2022 at 7:44 AM, Scorpio64 said:

I will say this - standard case prep to make is SAAMI specs - one item to note if using once fired or twice fired M1 brass be sure to check each cases head for distortion - the M1 as most semi's is a robust extraction - it would not be uncommon to see some heads where the extractor grabs to distort the brass in this area - this is turn *could* possibly prevent a full in battery lock of the bolt.

An example, I have a micrometer to check case sizes after being resized and that is a two step process for me:

1) le-wilson-30-30-winchester-case-gage-040

2)044-88329.jpg

I have noticed differentials in some cases that were cause for come possible concern.

Other than that - making sure that the primer depth is correct - a standard load workup using 4064 and 147gr heads seems to work.

Another example of load development is I have a WW2 S&W Lend Lease Revolver in 38 S&W - I cast a 190GR head and using Bullseye powder at X.X0 (I have to look up the load) was a very wide group - once I upped the load to X.X9 the groups tightened up quite a bit - each rifle will be different as you know for what load it likes.

• Like 2

No matter what you do, I would highly recommend the LE Wilson Cartridge Gage you see in the pic above, one of the most important things for a older weapn or any for that matter, is careful verification your sizing fits a standard saami chamber. They also make a micrometer thats basically a depth gauge to measure how far you are from +/- max using the cartridge Gage. I have one one these for everything I reload. Since I reload, basically everything, I have a boat load.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jon K said:

No matter what you do, I would highly recommend the LE Wilson Cartridge Gage you see in the pic above, one of the most important things for a older weapn or any for that matter, is careful verification your sizing fits a standard saami chamber. They also make a micrometer thats basically a depth gauge to measure how far you are from +/- max using the cartridge Gage. I have one one these for everything I reload. Since I reload, basically everything, I have a boat load.

A set of GO, NO-GO and FIELD gauges should be included in your tools. It's a good way to ensure your rifle has the required SAAMI dimensions that you're reloading for.