Jump to content
10X

My act of civil disobedience

Recommended Posts

I’m an outlaw.  This is my confession.  I will willfully break NJ Law, and I am unrepentant!

Specifically, I will violate the upcoming ban on single-use plastic bags.   Like all dog owners, I recycle grocery store plastic bags exactly once.  The upcoming ban on bags was going to pose a problem.  My preferred solution of letting my dog poop on Murphy’s lawn a couple of times a day is impractical, due to distance.  Instead, I ordered a year’s supply of grocery-store plastic bags from out-of-state.  I wanted to get them in ahead of the May 4 ban, since our AG’s office has already demonstrated they have nothing better to do than send threatening letters to out-of-state vendors demanding they stop selling otherwise legal products to NJ residents.

Fortunately, my contraband slipped past the postal inspectors and made it to my house.  Apparently, the Post Office is not yet employing polyethylene-sniffing dogs.  The State Police have not yet descended on my home to make an example of me.  After May 4, I can grab a handful of bags to take with me whenever I go to the store, then bring them home and relegate them to dog doodie.

I like to think that when future history books write of significant acts of civil disobedience, mine will be included.  Perhaps in a new Top 5 list!

·      The Sons of Liberty boarding ships and throwing chests of tea into Boston Harbor

·      Mohandas Gandhi’s Salt March

·      Rosa Parks’ refusal to move to the back of the bus

·      Student protester blocking a tank column at Tiananmen Square

·      10X’s purchase of plastic bags for dog waste

Picture1.png.7466679369cc029296fbf7ea5967be14.png

       ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More like: Billy the Kid... Al Capone... John Dillinger...  ... 10X?!    :wub:  (Women DO love the bad boys...)

Like you, all of my "single-use bags" have been in reality "double-use bags" - for dog poopy, lining the bathroom wastebasket, dealing with messy projects like painting, etc. Duh, I didn't even think of ordering online.... so, now you're both a badass outlaw AND an epic Influencer!  Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Like you, all of my "single-use bags" have been in reality "double-use bags" - for dog poopy, lining the bathroom wastebasket

Wait.. in that order?

8 hours ago, 10X said:

I’m an outlaw.  This is my confession.  I will willfully break NJ Law, and I am unrepentant!

Specifically, I will violate the upcoming ban on single-use plastic bags.   Like all dog owners, I recycle grocery store plastic bags exactly once.  The upcoming ban on bags was going to pose a problem.  My preferred solution of letting my dog poop on Murphy’s lawn a couple of times a day is impractical, due to distance.  Instead, I ordered a year’s supply of grocery-store plastic bags from out-of-state.  I wanted to get them in ahead of the May 4 ban, since our AG’s office has already demonstrated they have nothing better to do than send threatening letters to out-of-state vendors demanding they stop selling otherwise legal products to NJ residents.

Fortunately, my contraband slipped past the postal inspectors and made it to my house.  Apparently, the Post Office is not yet employing polyethylene-sniffing dogs.  The State Police have not yet descended on my home to make an example of me.  After May 4, I can grab a handful of bags to take with me whenever I go to the store, then bring them home and relegate them to dog doodie.

I like to think that when future history books write of significant acts of civil disobedience, mine will be included.  Perhaps in a new Top 5 list!

·      The Sons of Liberty boarding ships and throwing chests of tea into Boston Harbor

·      Mohandas Gandhi’s Salt March

·      Rosa Parks’ refusal to move to the back of the bus

·      Student protester blocking a tank column at Tiananmen Square

·      10X’s purchase of plastic bags for dog waste

Picture1.png.7466679369cc029296fbf7ea5967be14.png

       ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

If you sell them, do you become a BFL?

  • Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I will say that used grocery bags are almost totally useless for doggy cleanup.  There tends to be small holes that go unseen until it is too late.  

This.

Additionally, you are taking one of the most degradable substances on the planet - poop - and wrapping it in plastic so it lasts forever. Get biodegradable bags - you can get 1000 bio bags for $25.

  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

This.

Additionally, you are taking one of the most degradable substances on the planet - poop - and wrapping it in plastic so it lasts forever. Get biodegradable bags - you can get 1000 bio bags for $25.

This. Plastic bags need to go. There's no reason when bio bags do the same thing. Plenty of other things to rebel against. 

17.99 for 480 bags on Amazon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

This.

Additionally, you are taking one of the most degradable substances on the planet - poop - and wrapping it in plastic so it lasts forever. Get biodegradable bags - you can get 1000 bio bags for $25.

Or train your dog to go in your neighbors yard for free. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The AG seriously threatened out-of-state retailers??? What in the actual eff? Guess ima have to order a thousand bags. They will go nicely with my giant plastic straw collection. Anyone know of places that handle custom imagery on the bag? I'd surely pay extra for an "FPM" on on it with the Buckster's mug below it.

Editorial comment: I fail to see how making life more and more miserable for more and more people is somehow "progress". Like rolling blackouts. Banning plastic bags (and straws) and not letting retailers offer paper. Trying to get natural gas stoves banned. Grrrrrr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

This is one of the sillier things to complain about. You can buy 6 large reusable bags for under 30 dollars. I'm personally over seeing bags, masks, gloves etc everywhere. 

I think canvas reusable bags or boxes makes sense for planned grocery outings.   Where things get squirrely is for impromptu trips to convenience stores.  I’ve had to run into wawa solo to get lunch for the monsters and been told they can’t give me a bag.  Try carrying two hotdogs, two hoagies, soup, chips, and drinks by hand.   Also not sure what impact this will have on grocery delivery services. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I think canvas reusable bags or boxes makes sense for planned grocery outings.   Where things get squirrely is for impromptu trips to convenience stores.  I’ve had to run into wawa solo to get lunch for the monsters and been told they can’t give me a bag.  Try carrying two hotdogs, two hoagies, soup, chips, and drinks by hand.   Also not sure what impact this will have on grocery delivery services. 

I'm gunna bust your chops here a bit.  I mean it in fun. 

Were on a forum where we discuss extremely unlikely situations and being prepared.  If youre prepared for a zombie appocolype you can prepare to bring some food to the car.

I imagine alot of stores will go the Costco route and save the cardboard containers the deliveries come in.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

If youre prepared for a zombie appocolype you can prepare to bring some food to the car.

The zombie hordes are much more patient and forgiving than my kids when they’re hungry.   

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The major stores are all over the map on how they'll deal with this.  No idea what the mom-n-pop ones are going to do.

BJs has done the cardboard box thing for forever, but for their curbside, they wheel your stuff out in plastic bins, that you need to unload at your car.  that will hopefully change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

walmart in somerdale has signage stating that we need to bring our own or buy theirs as of may 4.

 

 but i reiterate..........a couple of guys above posted links to biodegradable bags that you and me can buy. if we can buy those, then so can the retailers. and they're probably comparable in cost to those they already use. if i'm expected to bring my own shopping bags, then i also expect a price reduction. maybe it's time to renew bj's membership, and tell wallyworld to fook themselves over this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Also not sure what impact this will have on grocery delivery services. 

As is their M.O., our esteemed legislature didn't consider that and so now they're going back to amend it to exempt this scenario.

I remember growing up and the downfall of our planet was going to be paper bags.  They had mostly switched to plastic through the '90s, but somehow the planet evolved to find plastic bags evil and started to bring back paper.  To me, this is the crying wolf scenario, much like the ozone layer and Al Gore's fairytales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Soooo, if biodegradable bags are so wonderful and cheap, uhm, why aren't they using them in grocery stores now?  Like, problem solved, for everyone.  It seems fairly obvious.

That’s a good question. I can tell you this - the bags I get would not hold groceries. They would tear. They are perfect, however, for picking up dog doody.

I am fine using cloth bags to shop.  No issues. I keep a 1/2 dozen in the glovebox of each car.

The bio bags were brought up for those lamenting “No plastic bags?!? Now what am I supposed to use to pick up my dog poop”. Even if the stores still gave out bags, they aren’t a good choice for that chore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, color me intrigued... I did a few minutes of research... it seems there is actually significant doubts about whether "biodegradable" bags are really all that much better than regular plastic bags (as opposed to mere marketing schtick). Also, there's degradable, biodegradable and compostable (although that generally means industrial compost, not home compost - and home compost with dog poop should NEVER go into your vegetable garden due to dangerous pathogens). If you're concerned about plastic in the environment, it seems you might be better off buying a pooper-scooper and flushing your dog's poop. Except - you're also not supposed to do that if you have a septic system (for some reason). Very complicated! Who knew?

Here's a few items -- a couple reference a university study that was done showing that, in some cases, biodegradable bags could still hold groceries after been buried for YEARS...

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/do-biodegradable-plastic-bags-actually-biodegrade-180972074/

https://www.waterdocs.ca/water-talk/2019/5/2/do-compostable-and-biodegradable-items-break-down-in-marine-environments

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

and home compost with dog poop should NEVER go into your vegetable garden due to dangerous pathogens). If you're concerned about plastic in the environment, it seems you might be better off buying a pooper-scooper and flushing your dog's poop. Except - you're also not supposed to do that if you have a septic system (for some reason).

Thank you for the shitty research.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Thank you for the shitty research.  

If I had a newspaper, its tagline would be "No topic too mundane!"

Doesn't have quite the same ring to as "All the news fit to print..." or "Democracy dies in darkness...", does it? ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...