Having owned all three M1A's - while the SOCOM is cool, looking - the front rail - as it is directly attached to your barrel, is a no go and affects accuracy out beyond 100 - DAMIHIK - if you get it remove it.

Scout Squad is a nice mix between the Standard and the SOCOM - again loose the front rail

The real sweet spot has been for me the standard - the other two went down the road.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, CAL. .30 M1 said:

Having owned all three M1A's - while the SOCOM is cool, looking - the front rail - as it is directly attached to your barrel, is a no go and affects accuracy out beyond 100 - DAMIHIK - if you get it remove it.

Scout Squad is a nice mix between the Standard and the SOCOM - again loose the front rail

The real sweet spot has been for me the standard - the other two went down the road.

Thanks appreciate the advice!! I have a Garand no looking for one of these lol

15 hours ago, Topshot56 said:

Thanks appreciate the advice!! I have a Garand no looking for one of these lol

You can imagine by my screen name I have both - they are the same yet entirely different - it is in how they handle and each has their quirks.

You will be chasing accuracy gremlins with the M1A - there is only so much you can wring out of it _ I have done them all, shimming gas cylinder, fiber stock, relieving handguard pressure etc. - it is accurate enough for better than minute of man work as needed - it is NOT a target rifle - it is a battle rifle - treat it as such.

If I can place rounds on a man sized target at 300 - that is what you may need it for and will do it.

*Now* - I LOVE both the M1 and M1A - but, when you  really want to get all excited - go look at FAL's - :)

That adjustable gas system, the handling, the ergonomics etc. are the shiznit.  (is that still a term of endearment?)

9 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I really want a FAL. F&*%ing NJ!

https://www.dsarms.com/p-16619-dsa-sa58-21-traditional-profile-barrel-fixed-stock-classic-edition-rifle.aspx

Just get a comp - 

Go for it !

https://simpsonltd.com/century-arms-r1a1-sporter/

The Century R1A1 - just gotta check headspace - you may need a new locking shoulder.

*SOME* are actually Rhodesian Service lowers with RA electropencils.....

I know of folks that have them in NJ - just like AR it is a stupid name game.

2 hours ago, 15636215 said:

This is what you really need to reach out. Like new WRA 105 years old.  https://imgur.com/a/i0LnZbp

The one I have is one of the most accurate rifles I own.....  a sucky day is to be within 300yds of that rifle loaded with AP....  :)

• Like 1

Here is one for you! Glenn Nelson 5 liner 1-90. National Match. Bedded and most USGI parts. Wilson Med weight barrel.

https://imgur.com/a/gUmHJe5

"Glenn Eugene Nelson joined the U. S. Army in 1954 and became a member of its shooting team in 1961. He earned Distinguished Rifleman status in 1962. He remained on the Army shooting team until late 1965 when he accepted an offer to become a match armorer. He completed the U. S. Army match armorer school at Rock Island Arsenal then began building M14 rifles for competition as part of the USAMTU at Fort Benning. He was trained at the USAMTU by Sergeant "Hook" Boutin. Mr. Nelson went on to serve in Viet Nam and the Non-Commissioned Officer-In-Charge of the AMU Custom Gun Shop. Master Sergeant Nelson retired from the U. S. Army in 1975. As soon as Reese Surplus, Inc. purchased Springfield Armory, Inc. in 1974, Bob Reese hired Glenn Nelson to establish a shop that could build competition grade M1A rifles.

Mr. Nelson began building Ultra Match M1 Garand and National Match and Super Match M1A rifles from his home. However, by 1987 the business had grown such that Nelson’s Custom Gun Shop occupied 5,000 square feet of building space. Over the years he put together a first rate staff of former AMTU match armorers and former Army team shooters. Mr. Nelson and his staff kept up with and implemented the latest accurizing techniques used by the AMTU as time went on. Mr. Nelson built competition rifles for Springfield Armory, Inc. until 2004. Mr. Nelson’s FFL Book had logged over 41,200 entries for rifles received for his gifted touch. When Mr. Nelson retired from business, his machine tools and shop equipment were sold to Chief Warrant Officer 3 Ken Corcoran, U. S. Army (Retired) of North Pole, AK. Chief Warrant Officer Corcoran was an AMU armorer himself.

The custom Super Match M1A rifles were fitted with either Douglas or Hart heavyweight barrels. These heavyweight barrels were available in 1:10, 1:11, or 1:12 twist rates. Mr. Nelson required the air-gauged and stress-relieved barrel blanks supplied to him have a bore diameter between 0.2999 " and 0.3004 " and a groove diameter between 0.3079 " and 0.3084 ". The heavyweight barrel blanks were supplied with rifling obviously, but the rest of the machining was done by Mr. Nelson or his employees. National Match medium weight barrels were supplied by Springfield Armory, Inc. to Mr. Nelson already for installation by other suppliers. The operating rod guides were soldered on to the barrels. For individual customers, Mr. Nelson machined hand picked medium weight and heavyweight Douglas Premium barrel blanks and installed them in rifle builds unless the customer specified otherwise.

To give the reader an idea of what is possible with the M14 rifle and a talented armorer, the following will illustrate the point. In April 1986, Glenn Nelson built a Super Match M1A rifle from stripped receiver serial number 033187. The build included all TRW parts and a National Match rear sight. After final assembly, this rifle was tested on a machine rest. It grouped fourteen shots under the size of a nickel at 200 yards with 168 grain Sierra bullets. The test target was presented to the buyer, a member of the Second Army Shooting Team.

Mr. Nelson and his staff used the same Springfield Armory, Inc. M1A receivers used on standard models to create state-of-the-art competition rifles. They performed the match conditioning work and 90 % of the assembly on the receivers sent to the Nelson shop in Columbus, GA by Springfield Armory, Inc. Mr. Nelson purchased TRW bolts for building all the National Match and Super Match M1A rifles in his shop. Headspace on these rifles was kept between 1.631 " and 1.632 ". The M1A rifles dressed in wood stocks were coated several times with raw linseed oil. The almost-complete rifles were shipped back to Springfield Armory, Inc. for final assembly, test firing, packaging and shipping. Final assembly in Geneseo, IL included installation of the front and rear sights, operating rods, hand guards and slings. Mr. Nelson passed away on February 17, 2007 after battling several types of cancer."

• Like 1