36Dictator

gunbroker.com's unreasonable id verification request?...

hi,

[i'm a new njgf member and couldn't find the most appropriate section of this forum to post this, it seemed like the most apt section as it involves a vendors/gun shops online portal connecting the former with potential buyers... if i chose incorrectly please move this into the proper section... this in fact might show up as only my very first official njgf post next to my avatar because thus far i only made several posts exclusively in my intro thread at the forum's intro section]...

so, i recently was finally granted my nj 'fid' and already purchased my basic home defense trifecta of a rifle, handgun and shotgun set... recently, i found a really nice lwrci 'other firearm' 'nib' for sale at a reasonable price on gunbroker.com' portal...i am now in a market for a reliable home defense purposed, short, brace equipped, rifle caliber weapon that's nj compliant and 'o/f' seems to be the only option t fit such requirements in nj...

i tried to use the g/b's 'buy now' function but got a message that i'd need to register an account first with g/b... i next filled in the required info and a welcome messaged displayed which also stated that my g/b account activation code is being e-mailed to me... after waiting a reasonable few hours time and still having not received the code, i used g/b's 'contact us' form to inform them that i've never received the code and requested to be further advised on my next course of action... it took them nearly 24 hours to reply but i received a response and it was not what i expected...

also, let me preface this with the fact that i accidentally still had a vpn program turned on my laptop when i tried to register an account on g/b but that still should not account for what they claimed in their reply...

so in their response,, they claimed that they were unable to verify my name and address thus they required a further proof of my identity... and it's the manner of that proof which makes me feel it's wholly unreasonable that also made me decide to  stay away from gunbroker.com website forever...

apart from the 2 forms of valid id, one of which had to include my photo, they requested [in highlighted font] that i also must provide them with an actual photo of myself while holding a photo id...

my personal feelings on this:

1. my identity is [unfortunately and detrimentally to my privacy concerns] actually quite easy to verify - including my address, phone and fb page - via a simple online search/google of my first and last name... both are uncommon, i've lived at the same address and with the same phone number for over 31 years and for the first couple of decades since i've moved here i haven't done anything to implement any degree of protecting my privacy steps... thus it seems that g/b is blatantly  lying and they haven't even attempted to perform any rudimentary verification of my name and address... 

2. i feel that their demand was ludicrous and unreasonable, besides a sheer pita factor, and let them know so in my reply in no uncertain terms...

for a portal that's wholly involved in a business directly related to 2a and in time where the big brother keeps constantly attempting to kill the freedoms and privacy rights of its citizens by amassing unreasonable info on every part of their lives and activities, it's imo beyond just unacceptable... i was ready to even provide them with with a scan of my d/l along with my nj 'fid' to keep on my account's file for any potential future firearms purchases on my part via their portal but after their request to actually send them my own photo while holding my photo id i felt as if they are too high on themselves and i want nothing to do with that online portal ever...

my questions to the forum:

1. has anyone here also experienced a similar demand from gunbrokers.com website while registering a basic account with them?...

2. do you think i'm being myself unreasonable in my sentiment towards their request of my photo and that it was fully justified on their part?...

i can copy/paste the entire chain of correspondence between myself and the gunbrokers.com customer service if anyone wishes to see this, i didn't for the brevity's sake... 

thanks...

First choice:  Don't buy there.  

You are going to find more and more of this in online transactions.  In this case, you are buying a gun which has restrictions placed on them (particularly the weapon you are buying, an "other") by the federal government and all 50 state governments.  No online dealer wants to run afoul of the ATF, the DOJ or any of the states.  Identity theft is a huge problem all around the world and all organizations are affected.

My bank uses a voice print to identify me when I call them.  It was voluntary but it is much easier then jumping through hoops every time I need to talk to someone.  

Second choice:  Comply with their requirements.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 36Dictator said:

thanks for the reply edf...

but i'm somewhat confused by it... gunbroker.com, apart from 2 forms of my id,  additionallydemanded that i provide them with a photo of myself holding one of my photo ids simply to register an account with them, not to purchase a particular firearm... that''s my main gripe here and why i feel their request went way beyond what's reasonable... i also believe that their statement claiming that they were unable to verify my name and address [with which i tried to register an account there] was a lie and made no sense... i'm as verifiable [unfortunately] as they come and a simple google search of my first and last name will provide my fb page, my address and tel number... so how could they be unable to verify this info if they would only try to?...

as far as i'm aware gunbroker.com s a famous portal through which one can search out various firearm/ammo items for sale by various vendors around the country, sort of a google for firearms and ammo but it itself does NOT sell anything/firearms directly; it's merely an advertisement platform...

either i'm misunderstanding your statement above or i think what you've stated is meant to address a scenario whereas i would attempt to purchase a firearm directly from gunbroker.com and as a next step they would have requested these id verification steps i've described...i would not have considered such unreasonable would that have been the case...

that's not the case here, however... i simply performed a search on the gunbroker site by typing 'other firearm' and specified a couple additional filter parameters... among the returned results i saw an 'other firearm' [lwrci's 'oscar foxtrot' in the 'di' version'] i really like available for sale by one of the myriad of gun shops which advertise on g/b and so i wanted to purchase it using g/b's website 'buy now' option to make the transaction an expedient one...i wasn't trying to buy from gunbroker.com, just from a vendor which uses that website to advertise their items/inventory for sale...

btw, here's that particular listing: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/930509513

before i tried to click the 'buy now' link i googled it to check out that particular vendor/shop for bad reviews/complaints and found none only some positive ones and their gunbroker rating is also a+ so i was ready to purchase it then...

however, after i tried to register an account with g/b which apparently is a required step in order to purchase anything posted for sale g/b''s site - contrary to their welcome message informing me of my successful account registration and statement that my account activation code has been e-mailed to me - never followed through in actually sending me the activation code and when i prompted them for a response via a follow up message sent to them, stated that they're unable to verify my name and address and demanded the aforementioned excessive [imo] proof of my identity verification... just so i could register an account with them...

you end your reply with: "second choice - comply with their requirements'... do you really feel it's reasonable for gunbroker to demand not only 2 forms of id, but an actual photo oof myself holding a valid photo id - JUST to register a  simple account with them?... i do not but maybe i'm truly being unreasonable and missing something, hence my post ere and inquiry to other forum members if so...

regarding your entire reply's context - do you also feel i i'm not being very prudent in trying to purchase an 'other firearm' in general?... i'm not sure but i feel you might have implied this... this aspect was not my reason for posting this thread but being a very new nj 'fid' holder thus not very familiar with law interpretation by nj authorities, i'd be very interested in others' opinions on this aspect, as well...

could you clarify/elaborate on your reply above in full?... i'm just unsure whether i have understood it correctly....

as far as i'm aware [and anyone please correct me if i'm wrong], an 'other firearm' weapon - if manufactured and marked/stamped as such by the original manufacturer - is perfectly legal in nj [i believe it must also have a minimum oal of 26"] and a nj ffl dealer should have no qualms about taking delivery of one and transferring it to me... at least one nj gun shop/ffl dealer [actually it's main business function is a gun range i believe] - rtsp in randolph and union, nj - advertises nj compliant 'other firearm' weapons or sale  to nj residents and even has a few currently in stock... just not ones i'd buy over a lwrc int's product...

i ask for and welcome anyone's input on the main subject of my thread, as well as any underlying/sub-subject [e.g. other firearm aspect in nj in general, or my choice for potentially buying that particular one, et alia]...

thanks....

I understand you're not buying from Gun Broker directly. But it may be their business model to verify identification for all customers as a service to the vendors that sell on their site. How and in what methods they choose to verify your identity is within their rights. It's within your rights to not buy from a site that asks you for unreasonable compliance. There are plenty of local FFLs that I'm sure would prefer to make the sale to you instead of just the transfer cost and NICS charge. IE, if you don't like their practices, don't use their site. There are also many sites that simply refuse to do business with NJ residents because they don't want to be bothered with dancing around our laws. And I'm not even talking about firearms. Some sites refuse to sell ammo or even unserialized parts and accessories. 

I personally don't see the appeal of having an "other", but I support your right to own one.  Perhaps just find a local business that has one in stock that you can purchase directly and support the businesses that choose to supply us "behind the enemy lines" of gun control. 

Good luck, 

Rhi 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

Perhaps just find a local business that has one in stock that you can purchase directly and support the businesses that choose to supply us "behind the enemy lines" of gun control. 

^^^THIS^^^

Gunbroker is overpriced anyway.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

I understand you're not buying from Gun Broker directly. But it may be their business model to verify identification for all customers as a service to the vendors that sell on their site. How and in what methods they choose to verify your identity is within their rights. It's within your rights to not buy from a site that asks you for unreasonable compliance. There are plenty of local FFLs that I'm sure would prefer to make the sale to you instead of just the transfer cost and NICS charge. IE, if you don't like their practices, don't use their site. There are also many sites that simply refuse to do business with NJ residents because they don't want to be bothered with dancing around our laws. And I'm not even talking about firearms. Some sites refuse to sell ammo or even unserialized parts and accessories. 

I personally don't see the appeal of having an "other", but I support your right to own one.  Perhaps just find a local business that has one in stock that you can purchase directly and support the businesses that choose to supply us "behind the enemy lines" of gun control. 

Good luck, 

Rhi 

hi rhi,

right, i agree and understand... i was just dumbfounded by what i believe was a request that went far beyond one that's reasonable only to register a simple account there, not even a vendor account... that g/b portal's supposed to be the google equivalent of firearm/ammo search engines... i would likely find it within reasonable boundaries should such an id verification request be issued while i'd actually try too purchase the said firearm but not to simply register an account with gunbroker... i object to their policy if it's an actual policy towards all new registrants and so it's my choice not to use them ever...

as far as my choice to purchase an 'o/f', it's due to the fact that i'm in a wheelchair... a regular ar15 [i already purchased the ubiquitous smith & wesson m&p sport 2 in nj legal version as part of my 1st home defense set's rifle buy] is not the most conducive firearm to wield while in a wheelchair...

my primary one would be a nj compliant tavor x95 or any quality bullpup rifle... however, those are nowhere too be find in-stock so a short, brace equipped 'other weapon' is my second choice...

thanks for your input...

47 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

^^^THIS^^^

Gunbroker is overpriced anyway.

aaa, but here's the rub...

i'd much prefer to use a local ffl dealer to buy such a weapon from but there are none that have such in their inventory... even that nj compliant smith & wesson rifle purchase i made as my first home defense firearm buy, along with my handgun and a shotgun, had to be made from out of state vendor [midway usa] because no ffl dealer within a 50 mile radius at least, had it in stock...

i'm forced to purchase from ffl's located far outside of nj [and then still have it shipped to my local one] because there's such an availability crisis of certain firearms in general...

the nj compliant tavor x95 which is my first choice for this purpose/type of a weapon seems to exist only on paper... no one online has it in stock and a couple of large vendors i contacted couldn't even give me an approximate date when they''d have one in the near future...

i even contacted rtsp [the nj gun range/online gun shop] and asked if they'd be willing to modify an existing non-nj compliant x95 into nj legal version and the lady who responded seemed to state her reply in the affirmative but never followed up, either with an e-mail or a phone call despite asking for my phone number...

they have a few 'other' weapons in stock but i'm dubious about their quality and long term/highround count reliability... lwrc is a higher end manufacturer and their rifles have quite a solid, good reputation...i do want a  cold hammered forged barrel too... 

the lwrc's oscar foxtrot seems like one of a very few weapons that would fit my purpose best as a second alternative to a tavor x95 and i've found only 2  available currently anywhere...none in nj...

9 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

LWRC DI Other?  I believe RTSP carries those.

if they had one in stock i'd buy from them... they don't currently...

they have a couple o/fs by zev tech which seem comparable to the lwrc's o/f in terms of quality and reliability and a few by dark storm ind., delta level defense and 3rd gen tactical...the 3 latter makers seem to make pretty good firearms but i'm unfamiliar with either one and don't want to play dice with reliability/quality... the zev tech coosts quite a bit more than the lwrc's oscar foxtrot... i also looked at modern materiel but i believe that i'd get much more bang for the buck and long term reliability from the lwrc's piece, no disrespect whatsoever meant toward the mm...

Honestly - with a LWRC you're paying for the name.

I've shot many an other firearm - Dark Storm is top notch.  ModMat is just fine and supporting a local NJ shop.

You're not going to be putting 30k rounds through it - there's no reason to have to pony up for a LWRC, unless you just wanna flash around that you got the brand name.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

Honestly - with a LWRC you're paying for the name.

I've shot many an other firearm - Dark Storm is top notch.  ModMat is just fine and supporting a local NJ shop.

You're not going to be putting 30k rounds through it - there's no reason to have to pony up for a LWRC, unless you just wanna flash around that you got the brand name.

nah, hardly anyone is going to see, or hear of, my firearms so i'm not interested in the 'flash' factor at all... i'm interested purely in ruggedness and reliability, as well as overall quality of performance...

30k round count...no, i hope not and not planning on such but i'd like to have a similar count reliability built into a piece i'm going to buy... i'm not planning on purchasing or bartering multiple firearms on regular basis down the line...just another rifle or two from the 1 i already have, 1 more shotgun, a 9mm carbine and 3 or 4 more handguns, one of those a revolver in .22lr and one a revolver in 9mm... perhaps a .22lr/410 combo rifle just to have a piece that accommodates the few hundred 410 buckshot shells i have with no firearm to shoot them out of...

hence i want a solid quality piece that will fit any possible scenario, not just for me but maybe even someone else who might inherit it from me...so it could possibly be called upon to run 20k-30k rounds through it eventually... i think that cold hammer forged barrel is what's needed in such a scenario... a forged upper/lower too...

i've done a lot of online 'armchair' research and am still doing so..spoke with a couple of experienced people who were downrange in the sand on multiple tours....i do hear great things about mm, they are on my short list of 'o/f' alternatives...however, i still feel that an lwrc firearm has most of what i'm looking for in comparison... i might be wrong but i have to goo wih my intuition, failing to secure a nj legal tavor i think i will go with that oscar foxtrot...

but i do very much appreciate your input...

Ok. So they aren’t making that request because they need the info, but because you appear to be some Internet rando who is trying to associate their gunbroker account with an email account they don’t actually have access to as far as the support person is concerned. The picture holding a a photo id is just the lowest effort way of verifying identity. 

So the first question is did you check your spam/junk folder for the activation email? Because that’s your path to avoiding this stuff. Also who is your email provider? They may be giant assholes blocking gunbroker. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 36Dictator said:

I'm forced to purchase from ffl's located far outside of nj

You are twisting your own arm, nobody is forcing you.  Patience is a virtue, and saves money too.  If you want any high ticket item, like yesterday, then you are gonna have to work to find it, pay whatever the seller is asking and agree to the seller's terms.  If you can't do that, then you will have to put together a plan B which may include considering a different, but equally good alternative.

If the seller you found on GB is also a LGS/FFL, then just contact the LGS directly.  Problem solved.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 36Dictator said:

simply to register an account with them

With which, you can buy or bid on guns on the site.  If you were welling on the site, would you want unverified buyers bidding on your products?  Take a look at eBay where incomplete sales are the rule.  

Everything that I said stands.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brucin said:

I've been a user on Gunbroker for several years and don't recall having to do that to set up my account. 

thank you for your input... yeah, i doubt this is something that's done en masse on their part lest they'd lose, or never gain, a significant portion of more independence minded users... i mean imo this type of a request is quite invasive and demeaning... imo it's either something recent they do which will not fly for very long or someone at the customer service there got really lazy and decided to make me jump through unreasonable, excessive hoops...

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

Ok. So they aren’t making that request because they need the info, but because you appear to be some Internet rando who is trying to associate their gunbroker account with an email account they don’t actually have access to as far as the support person is concerned. The picture holding a a photo id is just the lowest effort way of verifying identity. 

So the first question is did you check your spam/junk folder for the activation email? Because that’s your path to avoiding this stuff. Also who is your email provider? They may be giant assholes blocking gunbroker. 

but demanding of me to shoot a pic of myself while holding a photo id - on top of providing 2 forms of valid ids - is quite excessive to achieve that goal [of verifying that i'm a legit account registrant]...if they meant my physical address - when they stated in their reply that they're unable to verify my name and address - that piece of info is actually easier to verify regarding my person than with most, as i've stated in my initial post here... and if they meant my e-mail address, that's what a confirmation [or in this case an activation code] e-mail is for... i'm supposed to click on a within it there and it then confirms to them that the e-mail i've entered upon the registration process is the correct one...

i'm surprised that some here don't see this and are supportive of their idiotic request... nevertheless i thank you for your input...

regarding their potentially misplaced confirmation/activation e-mail... i think it was self explanatory from the description of facts in my initial post that the e-mail with an activation code was never sent to my e-mail box by g/b... i thought that their response i've described therein should should lead to that logical conclusion... my isp is optimum, pretty much allof the big tech isps are giant anuses and anti 2a but it wasn't them and my e-mail account with them doesn't have a spam folder per se... well, it does have a 'junk' folder but nothing gets sent there directly unless i physically move it there... all e-mails which get through my box go to my main box for me to decide what to do with or where to move each one...

the g/b simply never even sent me the confirmation e-mail with account activation code, contrary to what their website's confirmation welcome message stated when i finalized my account registration process... that very e-mail they never sent would serve as proof that i was legit and confirm my identity... their request for my 2 forms of id along with additional photo of myself holding a photo id is imo illogical, unreasonable and also somewhat invasive and demeaning...

there is another way to verify that my address is legit and that's via the confirmation e-mail and in their case, an additional activation code... 

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

You are twisting your own arm, nobody is forcing you.  Patience is a virtue, and saves money too.  If you want any high ticket item, like yesterday, then you are gonna have to work to find it, pay whatever the seller is asking and agree to the seller's terms.  If you can't do that, then you will have to put together a plan B which may include considering a different, but equally good alternative.

If the seller you found on GB is also a LGS/FFL, then just contact the LGS directly.  Problem solved.

i believe you're being presumptuous re- a fictional scenario in which you think i've acted [or didn't] in a certain way instead of the facts i've given in my posts here...

to answer your assumptions:

i tried to register the account in the afternoon of the day before yesterday... when i didn't receive the confirmation e-mail with an activation code a few hours later, i followed up with a message sent via their 'contact us' form on their website... didn't receive any reply until almost 24 hours later, last late afternoon; that was the response with their demand which i've described in my initial post... upon reading it, i made the decision not to do any business with g/b and i sent them a reply stating so in no uncertain terms... i then googled the actual shop which advertises that firearm and checked their review ratings on various websites, they came out as legit, including top gunbroker's own rating...

they don't have the lwrc oscar foxtrot listed in-stock anywhere on their own website but on their g/b ad it's listed as in-stock...so duh, of course i next sent them an inquiry regarding that firearm, that i'm potentially interested in purchasing it, whether it's still indeed in their inventory and i briefly described the situation with gunbroker's account which i wasn't able to finalize the registration of and aske if i could make the potential purchase sans the involvement of gubroker's listing... i'm still to hear back from them if at all...

i also didn't include the fact of e-mailing a bunch of higher end rifle manufacturers [radian, lwrc, dd, lmt, mm], and a few shops who advertise as also having a full custom gunsmith in-house, and inquiring about purchasing [and/or also having one modified to nj compliant status] an 'other firearm' version of one of their rifles/pistols... additionally i've put myself on many 'notification' lists regarding the nj compliant tavor x95... and contacted a couple of larger vendors/shops inquiring about an approximate near future date when one of those tavors might be in stock... the replies i've received re nj comp tavor suggested such might easily not happen for months if not in excess of a year's time... all these activities were done in the past 3 week timeframe...

the replies from various manufacturers were discouraging, they couldn't build an 'o/f' separately from their current production line ups and none were avaiable anywhere at this time to their knowledge....

an 'other' by mm was the alternative potential back up on my short list but their [very kind and cordial] reply by joe stated a 6 month waiting time for an order placed now and after i checked for availability of mm's o/f piece on their authorized dealers' websites, i've found none... lastly, they don't come with the cold hammer forged barrel and they can't do slightly custom builds using other manufacturer's parts such as barrels, receivers, etc...

i thanked joe for his very prompt replies and stated that if i'll be unable to secure an 'other' from a different, top tier maker, i'll place my o/f mod mat order with them, within about 3 weeks...

then i've found those 2 lwrc oscar foxtrot arms and a couple by zev tech [albeit the latter much priciier] on rtsp's site...

i've been scouring the web searching for the right 'other forearm for me for the past 2 weeks...only managed to find a very few and only a couple i feel i'd fully trust with long term reliability and quality...

i don't need one yesterday but want one within a month's time or less... i don't think your evaluation of what i've supposedly been doing [or not] or my presumed intentions is true nor based on actual facts...

nevertheless, thanks for your input...

1 hour ago, EdF said:

With which, you can buy or bid on guns on the site.  If you were welling on the site, would you want unverified buyers bidding on your products?  Take a look at eBay where incomplete sales are the rule.  

Everything that I said stands.

i entirely disagree with your conclusion and as i've already mentioned this elsewhere at least once in one of my replies above, once again will point to the fact that the confirmation e-mail with an activation link which g/b never even sent me would've been the confirmation of my name/address they'd need and demanded... that's if they meant my e-mail when they stated that they wwere unable to confirm my name and address...

and if they meant my physical address instead, well, how do they confirm suchh with other potential account registrants, via google search of their name???...through a background check service?... even if so, i'd pass any of such means easier than most...

when ii purchased my 3 firearrms online i was required only to provide the vendor a scan of my d/l and my nj 'fid'... this was for the actual firearm transaction...

i'm surprised how many of you actually support g/b's policy they've tried to implement upon me and such excessive requests...it seems you'd be just fine with the same should you find yourself in an identical scenario... did you also fully support the mask and social distancing mandates which decimated the economy permanently and led to the current ever increasing and amassed erosion of freedoms and rights?...

i respect your right to your opinion but i completely disagree with it...

well, maybe i'm indeed the unreasonable one here but i also stand by my sentiments re- the situation...

nevertheless, thanks for your input...

thank you for your input... i think they'd lose many potential members if they'd adapt such policy universally... i think i happen to be an exception rather than the rule... still, it made me feel unwelcome and uncomfortable so i'm not going to comply with their dumb demand and do without their service...

re- your link... actually, non nj compliant x95s are constantly available in-stock online at various vendors... even rtsp seems to always have one in their inventory, that''s why i asked them if they'd modify one for me to nnj compliance standards... it's the nj legal ones that are unobtainable anywhere...

regardless, thanks for that piece of info...

37 minutes ago, 36Dictator said:

i'm surprised how many of you actually support g/b's policy they've tried to implement upon me and such excessive requests...it seems you'd be just fine with the same should you find yourself in an identical scenario... did you also fully support the mask and social distancing mandates which decimated the economy permanently and led to the current ever increasing and amassed erosion of freedoms and rights?...

On the contrary, in my response I stated that while they are free to choose how they do business, as the consumer you are free to choose not to do business with them and instead support business that do support our rights in this state. 

Freedom is sometimes a knife that cuts both ways. 

Just because you don't like how an entity does business doesn't mean you aren't free to do business with companies that will. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 36Dictator said:

thank you for your input... i think they'd lose many potential members if they'd adapt such policy universally... i think i happen to be an exception rather than the rule... still, it made me feel unwelcome and uncomfortable so i'm not going to comply with their dumb demand and do without their service...

re- your link... actually, non nj compliant x95s are constantly available in-stock online at various vendors... even rtsp seems to always have one in their inventory, that''s why i asked them if they'd modify one for me to nnj compliance standards... it's the nj legal ones that are unobtainable anywhere...

regardless, thanks for that piece of info...

Most reputable FFLs will do the compliance work prior to you taking possession. It may be an additional fee, which is what you should inquire about.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

On the contrary, in my response I stated that while they are free to choose how they do business, as the consumer you are free to choose not to do business with them and instead support business that do support our rights in this state. 

Freedom is sometimes a knife that cuts both ways. 

Just because you don't like how an entity does business doesn't mean you aren't free to do business with companies that will. 

i actually wasn't including you in that statement...just the few members who posted their replies most recently and seem to feel that g/b's demand was a reasonable one... i don't feel any animosity towards those who post such point of view and it's good to get a varying input...all inputs are appreciated but i completely disagree with their opinion and i hope they also appreciate that...

:)

"Just because you don't like how an entity does business doesn't mean you aren't free to do business with companies that will. "

and that's exactly my course of action...

9 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

Most reputable FFLs will do the compliance work prior to you taking possession. It may be an additional fee, which is what you should inquire about.

i don't have a problem with an additional fee but there are no ffls local to me who do such work... i inquired at the rtsp, who is probably the closest ffl and a shop which can do such work in-house...

initially the reply was kind of in an affirmative but despite providing the lady my phone contact info she asked for to discuss this in more detail, there was no follow up...

6 minutes ago, 36Dictator said:

i don't have a problem with an additional fee but there are no ffls local to me who do such work... i inquired at the rstp, who is probably the closest ffl and a shop which can do such work in-house...

initially the reply was kind of in an affirmative but despite providing the lady my phone contact info she asked for to discuss this in more detail, there was no follow up...

What area are you from and what sort of follow up were you looking for? Did you have questions about the price or the process?

as in my avatar's info...i'm right in the n/e corner of nj, about 10 minutes from pearl river, ny/ny border if tht helps...i live in a small twp which i'd prefer not to name directly...

rebecca at rtsp replied to my initial e-mail inquiry about me potentially purchasing a tavor x95 from, and modifying it to nj comp status by, them...

she replied that they could do this but not the swap of the factory 'cutlass' handle for an optional separate pistol grip/trigger guard combo... i don't believe she was aware that the factory cutlass grip can actually be exchanged for the latter and tavor actually offers these parts because she stated that it's part of the factory integral construction... she also asked if i could provide her with my phone number to discuss this in more detail...

anyway, i promptly replied and stated that i was very much interested in following through with such purchase/mods and included my phone number...

never received a call and i never go full eager-beaver in such scenarios and send incessant messages...if a business is truly interested and willing to do anything they should reply back as they state... if i press for work and they do this as some 'favor' the result can often be subpar and i'd only have myself to blame for twisting their arm to do work for me.... if they're not that eager to work with me on this, the final result might not be satisfying to me because it was done in order to stop me from pestering them, etc...

true life experience talking here, btdt...

15 minutes ago, 36Dictator said:

as in my avatar's info...i'm right in the n/e corner of nj, about 10 minutes from pearl river, ny/ny border if tht helps...i live in a small twp which i'd prefer not to name directly...

rebecca at rtsp replied to my initial e-mail inquiry about me potentially purchasing a tavor x95 from, and modifying it to nj comp status by, them...

she replied that they could do this but not the swap of the factory 'cutlass' handle for an optional separate pistol grip/trigger guard combo... i don't believe she was aware that the factory cutlass grip can actually be exchanged for the latter and tavor actually offers these parts because she stated that it's part of the factory integral construction... she also asked if i could provide her with my phone number to discuss this in more detail...

anyway, i promptly replied and stated that i was very much interested in following through with such purchase/mods and included my phone number...

never received a call and i never go full eager-beaver in such scenarios and send incessant messages...if a business is truly interested and willing to do anything they should reply back as they state... if i press for work and they do this as some 'favor' the result can often be subpar and i'd only have myself to blame for twisting their arm to do work for me.... if they're not that eager to work with me on this, the final result might not be satisfying to me because it was done in order to stop me from pestering them, etc...

true life experience talking here, btdt...

Fun fact, I work at RTSP. Becca will be in tomorrow. Sometimes, it helps to give someone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she didn't follow up with you because it slipped her mind, or some pressing personal matters, or she didn't receive your email. I can't speak for her. But instead of lowering yourself to dealing with businesses that further infringe upon your rights, just give her a call tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

Fun fact, I work at RTSP. Becca will be in tomorrow. Sometimes, it helps to give someone the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she didn't follow up with you because it slipped her mind, or some pressing personal matters, or she didn't receive your email. I can't speak for her. But instead of lowering yourself to dealing with businesses that further infringe upon your rights, just give her a call tomorrow. 

well, that could prove to be a very positive coincidence for me then... always good to have an 'in' no matter how slight haha...

if you say so, i'll try once more then... hopefully i can purchase from, and have the tavor modded to my needs by your place including the cutlass grip swap...rebecca mentioned that the magazine needs to be pinned to be nj legal but i'm sure it was a typo [i hope haha] and she meant the stock...

this would be the first choice for me as far as what i'm looking for and i might even then forgo a purchase of an 'o/f', at least for now...

i don't feel as if gunbroker actually infringed upon my rights per se, but i do feel it certainly made an unreasonable and quite an outrageous, ludicrous demand...hence my decision not to 'lower myself' by compliance...

thanks rhi/ms.12 ga....

:)