36Dictator

gunbroker.com's unreasonable id verification request?...

1 hour ago, 36Dictator said:

well, that could prove to be a very positive coincidence for me then... always good to have an 'in' no matter how slight haha...

if you say so, i'll try once more then... hopefully i can purchase from, and have the tavor modded to my needs by your place including the cutlass grip swap...rebecca mentioned that the magazine needs to be pinned to be nj legal but i'm sure it was a typo [i hope haha] and she meant the stock...

this would be the first choice for me as far as what i'm looking for and i might even then forgo a purchase of an 'o/f', at least for now...

i don't feel as if gunbroker actually infringed upon my rights per se, but i do feel it certainly made an unreasonable and quite an outrageous, ludicrous demand...hence my decision not to 'lower myself' by compliance...

thanks rhi/ms.12 ga....

:)

I'm sure she meant the magazine needs to pinned to only accept 10 rounds, as that is the current limit. It probably ships with a standard (but over capacity by NJ law) magazine 

And requiring any further hoops to jump through to exercise your rights ARE infringements. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

I'm sure she meant the magazine needs to pinned to only accept 10 rounds, as that is the current limit. It probably ships with a standard (but over capacity by NJ law) magazine 

And requiring any further hoops to jump through to exercise your rights ARE infringements. 

ah yes, you're likely correct... i have a bunch of extra magpul 10 rounders i bought for my 1st rifle and figured most use the 10 rd ar15 mags in a tavor as well but forgot that there's that other option to pin the large capacity mags too... i won't go that route and just use the 10 rd mags but that's probably what she meant indeed...

i'll send her an e-mail now and if she doesn't reply by noon or so i'll try and give her a call...

you've already asked that question once and i replied to it with an exhaustive explanation on page 1 of this thread... if you're not going to read replies to your own questions/posts you're just adding pointless post counts of no value to this thread...

i don't know how you interpret my initial post as a novel and it's main gist as some whine fest...i thought i managed to keep it quite concise while still including key info for a point of reference for those who choose to reply to my 2 questions i posed within it... all my other posts were replies to the latter and nowhere did i affect a tone of passive whining or complaining that it sucks... instead, i stated my sentiments re - gb's demand and put it out there asking for input on g/b's unreasonable request and whether anyone else experienced a similar scenario while dealing with registering an account with them... perhaps you just happen to have a short attention span, less than good reading comprehension and don't read the posts in depth before commenting... your question re- spam folder would have been pretty much answered by the info i've included in my initial post would you have read it with comprehension, yet you asked and i replied... evidently you haven't even bothered to read the reply to your own question...

furthermore, after stating the main facts of the situation, i've expressed my personal sentiments and alternative course of action... contrary to your suggestion that i'm posting a novel of useless complaints, i described alternative means by which i meant to acquire the firearm listed on gunbroker... it's others who suggested that g/b's request was reasonable in their opinion and i should have likely just passively comply like a good sheep...as an aside, i think i'm finally beginning to comprehend why nj is as it is, with draconian mandates and state laws far more restrictive than just about anywhere else run amok... it's the people, their attitude of passive suggested compliance to unreasonable demands...

whatever... i can just ask for this entire thread to be deleted if the majority of members don't care for this info and gunbroker's weird conduct regarding some potential customers... i personally like to hear/read of such for my own edification and future knowledge with regard to certain entities/companies... i thought it had potentially insightful and informative value to some but if all that some here take away from this thread is that i'm a whiner or unreasonable in my indignation against gb's demand, it's a completely useless thread and i evidently wasted my time to even bother posting this...

Try to be more terse man. Once again, this is a novel, and that's coming form a guy who posts novels. Except yours have pages of text with minimal info. 

Like this.. I don't care about your opinions about yourself. I assume you think you are awesome and right and we can skip that as understood. It could have been summed up with "I already replied on page in case you missed it". There you go.. all the useful bits of your post in a sentence fragment. If you want to convey being salty "I already posted it on page one, are you fucking blind". Both substantially shorter than what you wrote. It's web forum, not a frikin thesis or management consultation document where you are being graded/paid by the pound. 

On to constructive stuff. 

So Optimum is using a modified version of zimbra. It 100% will route stuff to your junk folder without you dragging it there. When you drag it there, it treats it as if you clicked the "this is junk" option and uses it to train filters. 

So question 1 is if you are viewing mail via their webmail interface, you should be seeing stuff in junk unless they have gotten REALLY aggressive at spam rejection. I left optimum's email services for a reason. They weren't good.  

If you are using a desktop/mobile client, the Junk folder may be local and not the one optimum is using. If you have not looked at it via the web interface, try that. But your mail client may use it's own junk folder where only stuff yo mark as junk or is determined to be junk by the local client is put. This is not terribly uncommon. If running a samsung mobile device, especially and older one, it comes with it's own spam filters, and moves "spam" to deleted items, not junk/spam.  It can be pretty aggressive and wrong about this. Newer devices seem to be less bad, so they may have finally fixed the default behavior. 

If all that is no help, my next advice would be to stop talking to GB for the moment, go spin up an outlook.com or Gmail account, and just try registering with that. You may be SOL depending on how much data they keep of the incomplete form as I just tried to run through the process to create a bogus test account, and they put in controls to avoid duping accounts. 

GB isn't trying to go above and beyond the law or infringe your rights, they are just trying to prevent mail fraud being committed with your identity. It is possible your experience is shit because someone already tried to pretend to be you. The fact your info is easily found online doesn't mean you must be you, it means pretending to be you is just that much easier. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Try to be more terse man. Once again, this is a novel, and that's coming form a guy who posts novels. Except yours have pages of text with minimal info. 

Like this.. I don't care about your opinions about yourself. I assume you think you are awesome and right and we can skip that as understood. It could have been summed up with "I already replied on page in case you missed it". There you go.. all the useful bits of your post in a sentence fragment. If you want to convey being salty "I already posted it on page one, are you fucking blind". Both substantially shorter than what you wrote. It's web forum, not a frikin thesis or management consultation document where you are being graded/paid by the pound. 

So Optimum is using a modified version of zimbra. It 100% will route stuff to your junk folder without you dragging it there. When you drag it there, it treats it as if you clicked the "this is junk" option and uses it to train filters. 

So question 1 is if you are viewing mail via their webmail interface, you should be seeing stuff in junk unless they have gotten REALLY aggressive at spam rejection. I left optimum's email services for a reason. They weren't good.  

If you are using a desktop/mobile client, the Junk folder may be local and not the one optimum is using. If you have not looked at it via the web interface, try that. But your mail client may use it's own junk folder where only stuff yo mark as junk or is determined to be junk by the local client is put. This is not terribly uncommon. If running a samsung mobile device, especially and older one, it comes with it's own spam filters, and moves "spam" to deleted items, not junk/spam.  It can be pretty aggressive and wrong about this. Newer devices seem to be less bad, so they may have finally fixed the default behavior. 

If all that is no help, my next advice would be to stop talking to GB for the moment, go spin up an outlook.com or Gmail account, and just try registering with that. You may be SOL depending on how much data they keep of the incomplete form as I just tried to run through the process to create a bogus test account, and they put in controls to avoid duping accounts. 

GB isn't trying to go above and beyond the law or infringe your rights, they are just trying to prevent mail fraud being committed with your identity. It is possible your experience is shit because someone already tried to pretend to be you. The fact your info is easily found online doesn't mean you must be you, it means pretending to be you is just that much easier. 

TL;DR :moon:

• Disagree 1

20 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

This thread has outlived it's usefulness.  Like the mayfly, the unnecessarily verbose churlish rant should have died shortly after it was born. 

you only need not to follow or read it instead of affect an antagonizing attitude... it's incredulous to me how so many here seem to have a short fuse and can't control their emotions yet are legal firearm owners... damn, wouldn't want to be anywhere near some of you when in a critical scenario...eye opening stuff...

1 minute ago, 36Dictator said:

it's incredulous to me how so many here seem to have a short fuse

Members have been trying to help you with the situation.  You have received every bit of advice needed to resolve your problem, yet, the thread still lives on sucking up oxygen.  In my decades long experience, people come with a problem, they get answers and move on.  For some reason, you seem to be unwilling to accept the very good advice people have spent time giving you, refusing to let a trivial matter go.

There are limits to how much whining people are willing to endure.

47 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

my initial post has 8-9 paragraphs, plus 2 questions.. yours above has 8...they're about the same in length yet mine is a novel... i strived to include only key info in every sentence yet apparently this still wasn't enough because scorpio decided to be presumptuous and thought up an entire fictional scenario of what i've done, not done and apparently thought in his first 'contribution' to this thread... i appreciate the tone change and an attempt to be more civil but you're really not, are you?...the poisoned barbs where you imply i'm high on myself and think i'm awesome [completely untrue and based on nothing i posted] is passive aggressive... look, my style of writing/typing might be annoying to some, i can't change my personality...i'm a very logical person and false logic, or absence of one jars me so i point it out...

optimum sucks and there were times where e-mail never got past their servers into my mailbox, not this time however....a far as gb, i'm not going to use them...that stunt soured me for good, don't need them...

thanks for your input...

i agree with scorpio partially although from a very different perspective hehe... i don't think this thread has the informative value i thought i would have and perhaps should just be locked or even deleted... about the only one positive aspect it had for me was that i might get the tavor purchased/modified via rtsp after all, thanks to ms. 12 ga's input here..

4 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Members have been trying to help you with the situation.  You have received every bit of advice needed to resolve your problem, yet, the thread still lives on sucking up oxygen.  In my decades long experience, people come with a problem, they get answers and move on.  For some reason, you seem to be unwilling to accept the very good advice people have spent time giving you, refusing to let a trivial matter go.

There are limits to how much whining people are willing to endure.

i never asked for advice in this thread, i asked for opinions, input and whether anyone else had similar experience with gb...i wasn't above taking an advice which i'd find useful but most advice was to be compliant towards gb's request or it was not conducive to my particular scenario...admin's advice was sound but still not what i deemed as one trumping my own plan, because of my particular needs...i thanked everyone of you for input whether i agreed with it or not, i was civil and still am despite the bullying attitude of you, et alia... i'm 56 y/o i also have decades of life experience, possibly more than most of you...came here as a 14 y/o on a political asylum from behind iron curtain, probably could write a book based just on my experience back in my country of birth just in my teen years...grew up in washington heights in nyc, moved constantly along the east coast...joined the navy 4 years later as soon as i learned english...was a rowdy biker, fighter, lover until broke my neck and became wheelchair bound...don't assume you're dealing with some dumb inexperienced newbie when replying to someone's post...and you can always just ignore a  thread/post and move on...

i never 'whined' anywhere in my thread, it's something imaginary you latch on to feel better about your attitude towards my supposedly whining posts which is based on thin air...you don't like my posts or me, just move on and ignore this...how can this be so complicated?...but you are a self avowed judge and executioner of what's appropriate or not and if it's not to your liking it must be killed... i'm seriously thinking of leaving this forum despite having just joined it recently...the unbearable attitude of folks like you is the reason...i don't advertise my firearms, lifestyle,etc..i registered here purely for useful info but it's not worth the hassle...

you only need not to follow or read it instead of affect an antagonizing attitude... it's incredulous to me how so many here seem to have a short fuse and can't control their emotions yet are legal firearm owners... damn, wouldn't want to be anywhere near some of you when in a critical scenario...eye opening stuff...

Look, I have no skin in the game. I just want to perhaps raise an outside perspective. They complain you're whining, you complain they're bullying and said they shouldn't be gun owners and deserve the restrictive gun laws we currently have. We could go in circles all day pointing fingers. I tried to help you out the best I could while staying on topic.  You do tend to be rather verbose and display your love of the English language. In an online forum, these message boards are usually measured in sentences instead of paragraphs. That might be where they are misreading your verbiage as long winded whining. In the sake of mediation, perhaps we declare nobody won or lost this argument and just decide to let this thread go. 

With all of the best intentions, 

Rhi

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ms. 12 Gauge said:

Look, I have no skin in the game. I just want to perhaps raise an outside perspective. They complain you're whining, you complain they're bullying and said they shouldn't be gun owners and deserve the restrictive gun laws we currently have. We could go in circles all day pointing fingers. I tried to help you out the best I could while staying on topic.  You do tend to be rather verbose and display your love of the English language. In an online forum, these message boards are usually measured in sentences instead of paragraphs. That might be where they are misreading your verbiage as long winded whining. In the sake of mediation, perhaps we declare nobody won or lost this argument and just decide to let this thread go. 

With all of the best intentions, 

Rhi

hard to believe this thread has turned into an argument in the first place... i'm done with this thread and it probably just should be locked or deleted... you're likely correct on most of the points... if i'll even remain as the forum's member i'll think hard before deciding to post any question or a thread... hopefully i'll at least get the tavor i want via rtsp out of this, i'll then deem this worth the weird hassle...

cheers... :)

• Agree 1

This has nothing to do with ffls, atf or buying guns. 

This is a fact of life now on these p2p commerce sites, and I wish more places did it. 

The number of scammers out there is insurmountable. So if people want to scam on their site now, they have to provided proof of ID. 

Another forum I'm on, there're attempted  scams almost everyday by accounts that can't be verified, and its no where near the size of gunbroker.. 

And if you are running a proxy IP address that hides your location, you basically appear to be a scammer in their system. 

I wish more places did this, would stop 99% of scammers without making you pay for access to an account. 

Nobody here told you to comply . . . It was suggested that you should either follow their rules or go elsewhere.  That's a very different thing and those are, after all, your only choices.  You can complain to GunBroker until you are blue in the face but they have every right to do what they think that they need to do.

Rights apply to both sides here.