Xtors

Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH

Anyone ever been? Last weekend I took my father there for his birthday (belated). I had been there back in the early 80s when the XB-70 was still parked outside. If you are into this sort of thing it's definitely a must-see. Happy to post a few pictures if anyone would like!

Any other good plane museums? I've been to the Midway in San Diego and the Boeing place in Seattle. Also both very cool. I've heard there's some good stuff in AZ too.

Never Been to Dayton but want to visit sometime.

Work took me close to the Udvar Hazy Centre of the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Chantilly,VA recently. I ve been there a few times before. Impressive. The Enola Gay is there, There s a BlackBird and a Space Shuttle. 

Some local places close to NJ are:

Cradle of Aviation Museum - Garden City,NY on Long Island

Wings of Freedom in Horsham,PA. Small but nice. 

I've always heard amazing things about the Dayton museum, but haven't yet visited.  Udvar Hazy is, as noted above, spectacular.  The Cradle of Aviation Museum is very cool as well.  Haven't yet gotten to the Wings of Freedom museum.

I'll add to the list the New England Air Museum, in Windsor Locks, CT.   https://neam.org

It's huge, and its' collections are impressive.

I took my 2 boys on a road trip to Dayton 2 years ago. It is an excellent museum! The boys got to see the planes their grandfathers flew or worked on in the 1960's.

I also highly recommend the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum out at the airport... https://airandspace.si.edu/udvar-hazy-center

They have Space Shuttle Discovery, which you can walk around.... impressive to say the least. In my mind, I knew shuttles were big, but... holy cow....to stand under it is amazing.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I forgot to mention I have been to the Smithsonian in DC, which was very good too. Will definitely make in a point to check out the local suggestions.

Attached a couple of pics. The guy standing in the B-58 picture was a nav I believe. Chuck Jones was his name I think.

IMG_2446.HEICIMG_2415.HEICIMG_2369.HEIC

Haven't been there, but here's some stuff for you around the local area (Within 3 hours of NJ).

Here in NJ:

Air Victory Museum at South Jersey Regional Airport: 68 Stacy Haines Rd, Lumberton, NJ 08048

NAS Cape May Museum: Cape May Airport, 500 Forrestal Rd, Cape May, NJ 08204 (Cape May Airport)

NJ Aviation Hall of Fame. 400 Fred Wehran Dr, Teterboro, NJ 07608 (Teterboro Airport)

Milville Army Airfield Museum: 1 Leddon St, Millville, NJ 08332. (Millville Airport)

NY State:

Besides USS Intrepid there's a small museum over at Floyd Bennett Field calling itself Historic Aircraft Restoration Project. They have no website of their own, but there is a mention of them on the National Park Service Website for the Gateway National Recreation Area. You also have a couple of others within about 3 hours drive of NJ (Cradle of Aviation was mentioned by a previous poster).

American Air Power Museum: 1230 New Hwy, Farmingdale, NY 11735 (Farmingdale Airport)

Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome: 9 Norton Rd, Red Hook, NY 12571

Pennsylvania: (Someone already mentioned the one at the old NAS Willow Grove in Warminster PA above so I'll omit that for now)

Golden Age Air Museum: 371 Airport Rd, Bethel, PA 19507 (Grimes Airport, Private Grass field airport so call ahead for permission if flying in).

American Helicopter Museum; 1220 American Blvd, West Chester, PA 19380 (Bradywine Regional Airport).

Mid-Atlantic Air Museum: 1054 Arnold Rd, Reading, PA 19605 ( Reading Regional Airport, fantastic World War II weekend held on the first June weekend closest to D-Day anniversary).

Delaware:

Air Mobility Command Museum: Dover Air Force Base (Have not been to personally but looks great from web site, recommend calling ahead about entry since it's on an active base).

Delaware Aviation Museum Foundation: 21781 Aviation Ave, Georgetown, DE 19947, Delaware Coastal Regional Airport (Haven't been but seem to recall you have to call to make an appointment).

Connecticut:

Connecticut Air and Space Center: 225 B Main St, Stratford, CT 06615 (Haven't been myself, located near one of Sikorsky's facilities)

New England Air Museum: 36 Perimeter Rd, Windsor Locks, CT 06096 (Bradley International Airport)

So these are the ones nearby you can check out and some further out for you to check out. Enjoy

• Informative 1