Cheflife15

Most reliable rifle under 1000

35 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Best value quality always trumps lowest cost - Buy once, cry once.

Best quality, not best value.  While I agree with buy-once-cry-once, there is only so much pain one can endure, and it's different for everyone.  Always buy the best quality you can reasonably afford.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Best quality, not best value.  While I agree with buy-once-cry-once, there is only so much pain one can endure, and it's different for everyone.  Buy the best quality you can reasonably afford.

No, value is what I mean - quality is a part of value, and quality generally plays directly into cost, but not necessarily into needs/requirements.

I can “reasonably afford” a Knights Armament AR - super high quality, super high price. Should I get one? It can’t do anything I currently need an AR to do any better than my LaRue, Colt, BCM, ADM, or home built guns. I get more value from a $1500 BCM than a $3000 KA if they both meet my minimum requirements. The “higher” quality and commensurate price increase of the KA is now working against my best value and preventing me for meeting other needs with that extra cost - such as ammo, accessories, and training.

Value is subjective - someone else may need the increased capabilities/quality of that KA gun, where I do not.

Value is the best market price for the highest quality of the item that fits your needs the best.

If it doesn’t fit your needs, the quality doesn’t matter, and the item is valueless. If the quality is greater than your needs, than the extra cost is wasteful.

Lowest tier

I use their stripped lowers on a couple carbines. Cost the same as Anderson when I got them, but the quality is way better. The older Stag stuff was ok, before they got smacked for making unserialized machine guns…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cheflife15 said:

Also have seen the m and p volunteer, which I'm not sure why the price tag is so much higher then the m and p. 

S&W (as well as many other manufacturers) have tiered levels of their guns. The Sporter is the no frills lower level. It is hobby grade, using lower cost parts made from lower grade materials using lower grade manufacturing techniques and assembly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Piston guns don’t run cleaner or cooler than DI guns. The heat and dirt just go someplace else. On a piston gun, that someplace else was never designed to take the heat and dirt in the first place.

Exactly. 

The idiots who say ‘DI AR’s shit where they eat’ make me want to choke them out. 

38 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Holy crap, when did that happen.

And I believe it was the parent company of Stag, CMT who made the ATF mad. 

On 5/7/2022 at 10:47 PM, High Exposure said:

I have seen many, Many, MANY more piston ARs fail than DI guns.

And proprietary parts with no TDP suck.

Piston guns don’t run cleaner or cooler than DI guns. The heat and dirt just go someplace else. On a piston gun, that someplace else was never designed to take the heat and dirt in the first place.

I'll definitely concede the proprietary parts for a piston system is an issue, and they're heavier than DI system rifles. 

Check out the BCM below or a Daniel Defense DDM4 V7. If you get the BCM I'd recommend the M-Lok over the Keymod. 

https://www.bravocompanymfg.com/specification/bcm_recce14_mcmr.php

That model is available from BCM and they can permanently attach their compensator on to get it over a 16" barrel. 

Keep in mind most rifles will need compliance work done to mill off the bayonet lug as well as a compensator or brake purchased to be pinned & welded to the barrel. Both companies would require the stock to be pinned. The FFL you purchase it through will handle that before it's transferred to you. 

Good luck in your search

On 5/7/2022 at 11:46 PM, High Exposure said:

I use their stripped lowers on a couple carbines. Cost the same as Anderson when I got them, but the quality is way better. The older Stag stuff was ok, before they got smacked for making unserialized machine guns…

I saw Stag at SHOT Show - they're using better components now - every rifle now comes with a Hiperfire trigger.  I think they're just fine...

On 5/7/2022 at 12:56 PM, Bomber said:

Colt 6920 M4 Carbine, can't get much more reliable than that. Steve at Monmouth Arms is an NJGF vendor and has one in stock:

https://monmoutharms.com/product/colt-m4-carbine-cr6920/

No need to spend more, put the money towards ammo.

+1 for the Colt6920 M4. My favorite rifle in my collection and very reliable with good build quality. But this is over $1000

Just to mention that I have the Ruger 556 MPR in 5.56 (18 inches barrel) and in my experience this rifle is very accurate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Glockmeister said:

+1 for the Colt6920 M4. My favorite rifle in my collection and very reliable with good build quality. But this is over $1000

Gunbroker has a couple for around $800, with transfer fees and compliance work figure about $1000. 

I mentioned Monmouth Arms because its one stop shopping but you pay a little extra for that convenience plus it includes a ten round mag.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Glockmeister said:

Just to mention that I have the Ruger 556 MPR in 5.56 (18 inches barrel) and in my experience this rifle is very accurate. 

I just picked up the Ruger MPR for $930 all in, including tax.