45Doll

Does This Qualify As An "Other"?

13 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

The secondary question is: what caliber is a Diet Coke?

Can Cannon Soda Can Launcher (xproducts.com)

When I was a kid, we used to build Coke can cannons out of Coke cans (back when they were steel, not aluminum).   They could shoot a tennis ball out of sight, vertically.

On 5/10/2022 at 8:59 AM, 10X said:

When I was a kid, we used to build Coke can cannons out of Coke cans (back when they were steel, not aluminum).   They could shoot a tennis ball out of sight, vertically.

Yep, me too. Used to use hairspray or rubbing alcohol as propellant. 

They were a LOT of fun back then! 

On 5/10/2022 at 9:43 AM, 45Doll said:

The secondary question is: what caliber is a Diet Coke?

When we used to participate in live fire cannon competitions (yes, they used to have them at Monmouth Battlefield), the projectile of choice was an Alpo can filled with cement. Round balls skip too much, so to control missed shots we need to use something that tumbles like a football, instead of skipping. A round cannon ball can skip pretty far!). So, in at least a partial answer, a 3 pound cannon (cannon calibers are stated in projectile weight) is Alpo can caliber.  I also have a 1 pounder swivel gun; that's golf ball caliber. 

35 minutes ago, EdF said:

We used to build tennis ball cannons out of two tennis ball cans and some duct tape.  All you needed was a little bit of lighter fluid.

That’s a Coke can derringer!   We’d usually use about 6 cans, one as the combustion chamber ( not fully open at the top so the ball couldn’t drop in) and the rest for the barrel.  We also used lighter fluid, and also put an unwarranted amount of faith in the duct tape holding it all together. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 10X said:

That’s a Coke can derringer!   We’d usually use about 6 cans, one as the combustion chamber ( not fully open at the top so the ball couldn’t drop in) and the rest for the barrel.  We also used lighter fluid, and also put an unwarranted amount of faith in the duct tape holding it all together. 

We used 4 cans. Is that a coke can SBR? 

• Haha 1