Lawnmower2021

Rimfire snap caps that don't suck?

Curious, anyone come across reliable .22LR or 22 win mag snap caps?

I tried these: TechStudio 3D snap caps on Amazon. It's weak plastic. My lever action sliced it in half and got a chunk stuck in the barrel! My revolver shatters them after one or two shots.

I also tried Steelworx in 22 win mag, but they are not precisely sized. My revolver does not cycle with them and they get a bit stuck in the cylinder.

Any thoughts or experiences? 

I use small plastic wall anchors in my revolver. Dirt cheap and you can get them at any hardware store. For testing function on semi-autos I use Tipton 22lr snap caps. They are more rigid plastic but seem to work fine. Every now and then I get one that I need to sand an edge or something so it cycles correctly but they work pretty good overall and aren’t too pricey.

-Jim

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, brucin said:

I always thought the Techstudio snap caps looked like something from Barbie's Playhouse.

It's actually so bad. I didn't even know a chunk was stuck in the barrel until I decided to just clean it out for the first time before shooting. I had to push it out with a cleaning rod. Imagine I actually fired like that? :o

I'll see if Steelworx are better in 22LR. It would be good to have something that cycles well in lever actions and semi auto.

For centerfire, I have very good experience with A-Zoom in most calibers.

Everbilt #4-#6 x 7/8 inch yellow plastic ribbed anchors.

Got a pack of 150 a year or two ago, they compress when struck, but havent had any shatter/break (like I have had with legit .22 plastic snap caps). I use em primarily in bolt guns for storage, so not doing a lot of strikes, but with rotation i can get 4+ uses outta each one. Have fed em from mags too.

I read somewhere there may be a change in something with current production ones, so may wanna opt for a small pack or at least look em over that they'll still work before going bulk.

5 minutes ago, kiwibill said:

I used to use once fired cases indexes so the firing pin landed 180deg from the original mark.

This has been my goto for function tests. I also rotate and reuse the plastic snap caps I have as well. I gave up on looking for something that would cycle and just focus on loading it into the chamber directly.

The only rimfire gun I'd practice dry firing with is my 21A since it has a beefy double action trigger pull. I just keep turning the casing or snap cap.