GFarra31

Ammo for a new SW22 Victory?

Hello Everyone,

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a SW22 Victory.   Should be picking it up from my FFL next week.  

This is my first .22lr and Ive read that .22lr can be finicky but generally the Smith eats most ammo.   Any recommendations on which ammo to start with?    I realized that there are copper plated round nose options, are those worth a look?

I was thinking of starting with some CCI Mini-Mags 40gr, CCI Standard 40gr, and Norma TAC22 40gr.    What else should I consider?

Thank you, George

16 minutes ago, GFarra31 said:

Hello Everyone,

I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a SW22 Victory.   Should be picking it up from my FFL next week.  

This is my first .22lr and Ive read that .22lr can be finicky but generally the Smith eats most ammo.   Any recommendations on which ammo to start with?    I realized that there are copper plated round nose options, are those worth a look?

I was thinking of starting with some CCI Mini-Mags 40gr, CCI Standard 40gr, and Norma TAC22 40gr.    What else should I consider?

Thank you, George

In this buying climate, the ammo to start with is whatever you can get your hands on!

That said, the ones you list are fine choices.   .22's autoloaders can indeed be finicky, but a lot of models seem to be very happy with one or the other CCI loads.

.22 autoloaders are also finicky about dirt, so keep your new toy clean, lest you start to think that every load you test causes more jams than the one you tried before it.

Have fun!  That's a nice pistol.  The ones I've handled had a very nice trigger pull.

@10X, thank you.   I'm excited to get it.    First thing I am going to do is clean and lubricate it.   I've read that this is dirty ammo and a good habit would be to clean it after every shooting session.     What are your thoughts on Aguila, Federal, Winchester, Remington, or Browning ammo?

I run Blazer and Federal through my P320 (9mm, 115gr) all day long without any hiccups.

George

44 minutes ago, GFarra31 said:

CCI Mini-Mags 40gr, CCI Standard 40gr, and Norma TAC22 40gr.

Mini Mags are a good bet, they are pretty reliable feeders and the copper wash will help prevent leading.  Standard will probably feed okay too, but you will have to clean more often. TAC22 is made [marketed] to feed in AR type rifles.  It's hit or miss with that, but still worth putting at least one box through to find out.  CCI also make a premium ammo called Clean-22, it has a poly coated bullet and a cleaner burning powder.

Aguila Super Extra (aka mexican minimags) are good shooters.  They smell like cats piss though.

46 minutes ago, GFarra31 said:

@10X, thank you.   I'm excited to get it.    First thing I am going to do is clean and lubricate it.   I've read that this is dirty ammo and a good habit would be to clean it after every shooting session.     What are your thoughts on Aguila, Federal, Winchester, Remington, or Browning ammo?

I run Blazer and Federal through my P320 (9mm, 115gr) all day long without any hiccups.

George

I’ve used all of the brands you mention.  No reason not to try whatever you can get.  Most of them have multiple lines within the brand, and sometimes that can make a difference. 

45 minutes ago, GFarra31 said:

I looked at the CCI Cleans and they are listed as sub-sonic.   Would that be an issue for the SW22?

You'd have to test to be sure, but it may not be an issue at all.  The SW22, like the Buckmark and the Ruger, are all popular as entry-level bullseye guns.   And bullseye (er, precision pistol) shooters favor subsonic loads.

My experience with Winchester rimfire ammo is to avoid it at all costs. Even my bolt guns and lever action won't reliably fire that stuff. Multiple guns, action types, even different calibers, I have never had so many problems consistently as with Winchester rimfire ammos. Perhaps I just have had the shittiest of luck among many different types and lots of ammo from them, but I have experienced multiple failure to fires per mag (requiring 2-3 restrikes) (.22lr and .17hmr) and split case necks (.17hmr only) constantly.

I would run the dreaded Thunderbolts over any Winchester rimfire any day.

My S&W 22A actually loves Golden Bullets. I'd say buy what ammo you can find, if this gun doesn't like it, buy more guns until you find one that does.

20 hours ago, GFarra31 said:

George

Aguila, been happy with their ammos, but avoid their Stinger -equivalent (1700ish fps) rounds, might cause issues, believe they too are longer cases than standard. May beat up the gun a bit, too.

Federal is usually good to very good for their true gold medal target/match ammos. Automatch is usually available and reliable and is a go-to for me.

Remington makes some really cheap dirty ammo, but my guns tend to run em just fine anyway, so give em a try.

Never tried browning ammo.

CCI is almost always a good bet, except maybe Stingers.

enjoy the new toy!

6 hours ago, GFarra31 said:

I looked at the CCI Cleans and they are listed as sub-sonic.   Would that be an issue for the SW22?

CCI Clean-22 is available in 40gr high velocity red tip [1235 fps], and 40gr sub sonic blue tip [1070 fps].

Thanks everyone, I order a few different varieties....basically whatever I was able to find in 50 or 100 round allotments.     The CCI Clean I bought is the sub-sonic.   I will give it a try and keep an eye out for the high velocity ones to try as well

Have a great weekend.   UPS tracking has my toy hitting the FFL on monday.   

George

I've had my Victory since they were released. It runs on anything I've put through it. 

Dirtier stuff like Winchester or Thunderbolts will gum it up a bit and cause an occasional FTFeed but even with that stuff and a dirty gun it still runs great.