StephenNJ73

Apologize, had given up any chance of Nj concealed carry—glimmer of hope now?

Hello guys,

So after years of following the ups and downs (mostly downs) regarding the possibility for Nj residents to realistically obtain concealed carry permits, I truthfully gave up…however, I was browsing the forum and read something about the upcoming Supreme Court’s June ruling regarding the recognition of self defense as suitable grounds for concealed carry application/permit. I tried to find out more info but I couldn’t find anything.

I promise, I’m not just taking the lazy way out and I will do my best to pay it forward in answering others’ questions—even if they are as basic as this one.

bottom line: is there real reason to have hope? Could I have been wrong in giving up any chance of ever seeing a concealed carry license in my lifetime?

Well, there is always a chance.   NJ won't just roll over on the issue, no matter what the Supreme Court ruling says.  Governor Gopher has already said 'not on my watch' to concealed carry, regardless of what the Supreme Court rules.   But, a favorable ruling will open the door to the follow-up lawsuits in NJ--and they will be required--to eventually make concealed carry more accessible.   The assumption is it will still be difficult and expensive, just not to the extent it is now.  

If the ruling is favorable.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

As @10X says, if/when the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan is force to drop "Justifiable Need" from its carry requirements, we civilians will still be required to satisfy the same hurdles as both Active and Retired LEOs, namely the classroom training in "Use of Force" and the twice yearly range qualification with the limited number of firearms we will be allowed to carry.

The PRNJ will ALWAYS be the most difficult state to carry in. The old question "Well WHO carries in Jersey" will have an answer in addition to the current answer.

Currently: Jersey cops and the bad guys.

Future (hopefully):  Jersey cops, the bad guys and those who have managed both the time and expense to jump through all the administrative hoops.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

As @10X says, if/when the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan is force to drop "Justifiable Need" from its carry requirements, we civilians will still be required to satisfy the same hurdles as both Active and Retired LEOs, namely the classroom training in "Use of Force" and the twice yearly range qualification with the limited number of firearms we will be allowed to carry.

The PRNJ will ALWAYS be the most difficult state to carry in. The old question "Well WHO carries in Jersey" will have an answer in addition to the current answer.

Currently: Jersey cops and the bad guys.

Future (hopefully):  Jersey cops, the bad guys and those who have managed both the time and expense to jump through all the administrative hoops.

just outta curiousity........does anyone give that training to us mere mortals right now?

They will make it VERY  difficult to qualify, when they are forced to issue. There will be a very intimidating group of "supervisors" the bar will be very high and most will fail. If However, national reciprocity takes effect They are fucked.

56 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

just outta curiousity........does anyone give that training to us mere mortals right now?

I went to the Sig Academy 3 times, I feel confident I could pass their BS qualifications. I am sure if/when the time comes there will be lots of courses available, throughout the state.

3 hours ago, Downtownv said:

I went to the Sig Academy 3 times, I feel confident I could pass their BS qualifications. I am sure if/when the time comes there will be lots of courses available, throughout the state.

i was figuring on possibly getting a jump...and if it falls through yet again, it's still extra training which is never bad. i wish i could take enough time off of work to do the sig academy thing....

• Like 1

Well, given the illegal gun charges get dropped so often (I wish I had a Statistic for you) maybe these people got the right idea. Follow one case in NJ where there was an illegal gun and you will see what really happens.

Costs will be high, but even the State police range portion of qualification is not overly difficult. HR Funk has YouTube videos of, I believe all 50 states range course and NJ is in that group.  CZ 75 vs. New Jersey LEO Handgun Qualification

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

ok....so a question. i'm thinking i'm gonna order a shot timer. is a cheapo from amazon gonna cut the ice? i'm gonna try shooting this course of fire to see what i can make happen.....

There are some free or cheap shot timer apps for phones.  No idea how good any of them are, but it might be worth some testing

I use a Pocket Pro from Competition Electronics, one of the least expensive of the ‘good’ timers. 

This all assumes the requirement will be the official LEO course. It's good to see that demonstrated, but I cannot find the current civilian CCW test requirements anywhere at all. The SP-066 instructions for applying for one only states: "Written proof of qualification and ownership with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved. This must be recent at the time of the application and must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor." So if any one can find it please post it for us. 

23 minutes ago, ShootersShooter said:

This all assumes the requirement will be the official LEO course. It's good to see that demonstrated, but I cannot find the current civilian CCW test requirements anywhere at all. The SP-066 instructions for applying for one only states: "Written proof of qualification and ownership with the handgun(s) you intend on carrying if your application is approved. This must be recent at the time of the application and must also be obtained from a certified firearms instructor." So if any one can find it please post it for us. 

I looked for it a year ago and couldn't find anything either. You would think that a) the rules have to be posted somewhere, and b) the list of test providers would also have to be listed somewhere.

When I applied a few years ago I went to GFH as I was a member. They offer (or did then) free qualifications to members for up to 2 guns. The CoF was 50 rounds on a Q target at ranges from 5 yards to 25 yards with no time constraint. Hitting anywhere inside the milk bottle was a hit, outside was a miss. The guy running me couldn't count the hits because most of them blew out the middle of the target. GFH gave me a signed sheet of paper showing my qualification score and that was acceptable to the judge.

I didn't get a permit, of course, but only because of lack of JN.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

When I applied a few years ago I went to GFH as I was a member. They offer (or did then) free qualifications to members for up to 2 guns. The CoF was 50 rounds on a Q target at ranges from 5 yards to 25 yards with no time constraint. Hitting anywhere inside the milk bottle was a hit, outside was a miss. The guy running me couldn't count the hits because most of them blew out the middle of the target. GFH gave me a signed sheet of paper showing my qualification score and that was acceptable to the judge.

I didn't get a permit, of course, but only because of lack of JN.

A simple civilian qualify like that makes sense. Aim, shoot, hit your intended target. But simple and good sense are hard to come by when the govt is involved....all speculation at this point of course. Time will tell.

51 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I believe the NRA offers a qual course most CCW states accept.  Dunno if the Glorious democratic people's yada yada will accept it though.

NJ wouldn't read past the 'NRA' in the course description before rejecting it.

If the same course could be re-branded as BLM or NAMBLA or something, it might be considered here.

• Agree 2

I took the NRA CCW course through ROC Training. At the end of the course we did the 50 round NJ Approved Security Guard qualification.

Florida accepts NRA basic pistol.  If US Supreme Court rules that right is as per 2nd amendment intended like Heller decision I don't see how NJ would legally going beyond that. It is why Murphy is trying to influence decision with his speech.  

I thought this was "above his pay grade" anyway!