GFarra31

Range Bags/Cases.....what are you all using?

Hi All,

What are you guys using to transport 2 hand guns and ammo to the range?   All of my gear is for 1 pistol and now I have a SW22 Victory as a range toy.    Give me some ideas on what to consider for transport.   I want something that I can lock.   So a case that can hold 2 pistols and magazines that can be locked.   Another for the ammo, which I also prefer to lock on its own....I know, overkill....but I am not giving any law enforcement any opportunity to say I am not in compliance....so I go overkill :).

This is for a full size SIG P320 (9mm), SW Victory (22LR), and elated ammo.

Thank you & have a great weekend, George

If you'll be shooting from a bench, it's hard to beat a bullseye box.   It's a shame they are kind of expensive and hard to find.  There are plans out there for homemade ones, though, and they do come up on the used market from time to time.

Even if you never shoot competition, it's nice to be able to flip up that lid and have a spotting scope right there, plus storage for 3-5 handguns, depending on the model, ammo, and accessories.

Otherwise, the Midway bags are popular; big, rugged, and fairly inexpensive.  They often go on sale; as they appear to be now.  I've got the larger of the two linked, and I really like it.  They're not really meant to be locked, though; one could lock the big zipper compartment, but in a fabric bag that wouldn't add much actual security.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020438366?pid=776487

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689?pid=638531

i-wPDWWkk-XL.jpg

My uncle (former bullseye shooter) has one of those, too! But, are they considered "old school"?

Errr... not that I'm implying, of course, that you're old... or not one of the trendy cool kids... I literally just don't know, not having been to one of those matches.

[wipes sweat from brow nervously... :icon_redface:]

i have a safe bolted in the back of my truck. i put my pistols in a smaller safe, then lock that safe in the bolted safe. then i put my ammo in a locked ammo can, and use a bike lock to lock it to the spare tire inside the back of my truck.

• Like 1

@10x, dang i love the bullseye box idea.    I am a woodworker so I will look for some plans online.   I'll also check out the Midway bags.....I do have individual cases for the pistols that are lockable, so maybe one of the Midways would acomodate the pistol cases and ammo.

@1LtCAP, a safe in your truck......ain't nobody gonna dispute the stuff isn't secure for transport with that!!   Love it!!

Thanks, George

9 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i have a safe bolted in the back of my truck. i put my pistols in a smaller safe, then lock that safe in the bolted safe. then i put my ammo in a locked ammo can, and use a bike lock to lock it to the spare tire inside the back of my truck.

Why not hook the bike lock around your road wheels to up the challenge to 11?

• Haha 1

@voyager9

I am looking for a bag that would accommodate three pistol cases , the hard plastic manufacturer cases. You think this midway bag would accommodate three, with ammo , and eye /ear protection? All the bags I see look like they need you to remove the hard case for the pouch they include 

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

My uncle (former bullseye shooter) has one of those, too! But, are they considered "old school"?

Errr... not that I'm implying, of course, that you're old... or not one of the trendy cool kids... I literally just don't know, not having been to one of those matches.

[wipes sweat from brow nervously... :icon_redface:]

It's true, the trendy cool kids don't use spotting scopes.   They also shoot big ragged groups, since they can't be bothered to call their shots,  look and see how they are doing, and make corrections.

You will rarely see a bullseye box outside of a bullseye (precision pistol, as it's now called) match.   Virtually everyone there will have one, though.   But I tend to use mine anywhere I'll be shooting from a bench, because I want to have the spotting scope, and all of my other gear is already in the box.  And it does lock.

They're not really useful if you don't have a shooting bench to put it on, or if you are shooting steel, or other run-and-gun events.   Gun bags of various makes (like the Midway) dominate there.

• Like 1

I recently got this and like it:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09KL8GD97/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1R8D11LEW9PVR&th=1

Extremely spacious and the individual pistol cases fit my full size 9mms and 45s without issue. However, they do not fit my 6" barrel single six. The zipper around the pistols can take a small lock. I like being able to bring everything in one bag, including eyes and ears. Plus, it makes a great all-purpose bag.

I have a medium-sized case that works well for one or two carbines.

For anything more, I have one of these that works very well: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077JP8BDT/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&aaxitk=8c2306a4c403ef1227e98ea67ededaf5&hsa_cr_id=8078911770601&pd_rd_plhdr=t&pd_rd_r=e25c9181-e14a-4865-ac6b-07cbe36150b5&pd_rd_w=IX3uh&pd_rd_wg=szRXx&ref_=sbx_be_s_sparkle_td_asin_0_img

9 minutes ago, GFarra31 said:

@10x, dang i love the bullseye box idea.    I am a woodworker so I will look for some plans online.  

Mine was homemade by a local shooter--it's not the box in the pic I linked.  I've had it long enough that I don't recall who made it, and I have no idea where he got the plans, but I know plans are out there.

I do recall him saying he had a week off one year after Christmas, decided he'd build himself a bullseye box, and by the time he had minimum quantities of wood and a few other components he had almost enough to build three boxes.  So he bought a few more parts, built three at the same time, and sold two to mostly offset the cost of the one he kept. 

8 minutes ago, DPNJ said:

@voyager9

I am looking for a bag that would accommodate three pistol cases , the hard plastic manufacturer cases. You think this midway bag would accommodate three, with ammo , and eye /ear protection? All the bags I see look like they need you to remove the hard case for the pouch they include 

I don’t know. Mine is a soft case and I usually don’t put ammo in there (unless it’s a quick range trip and I don’t want to lug an ammo can).   If you want a hard case for 3+ handguns, gear, and ammo you will need something else.   Pelican sells cases and you can get custom foam inserts but it will cost more.  

@DPNJ, that is what I was hoping for as well.    My hard plastic cases that hold my pistols can each be locked.   So i am thinking of just finding a back pack that can fit the 2 cases.   In your situation, a back pack that can fit 3 cases.   I would then transport ammo separately (both 9mm and 22LR) in a locked ammo can.    BUT!!!   I doubt there is then room for eye/ear protection too....so, those midway bags seems like a good choice....get one big enough to hold the pistol cases and ears/eyes, then ammo in a separate can.   I guess the other alternative is the back pack for the guns, and a midway bag for an ammo can plus eyes/ears.

To me, that seems like the best solution

16 minutes ago, DPNJ said:

Maybe I didn’t explain properly. I meant a range bag that could fit three pistols without removing the hard plastic case that pistols come in. 

The big Midway bag may well fit three pistols in factory hard cases.  It's a huge bag.  The main compartment is a lot longer than the factory hard cases, so there would be room at one end for ammo, glasses, etc, plus there are all of the external pockets.   They might have the dimensions of the main compartment listed on the website; let me know if they don't and I'll go measure mine.

Edit:  The dimensions are on the website, bullet points copied below.   If you can fit three hard cases into 10" x 10" x 17" (and you probably can), then this bag will work.   I also find the removable stage bag handy, and the fired brass carrying bag has a mesh bottom, so if you are picking up brass outside you can shake the sand and dirt right out the bottom of the bag.

• 5 Bags In 1 
  • 9 Total pockets
    • 7 on Main bag
    • 2 on Removable Stage Bag
  • 14 Pistol Magazine Pouches
  • 5" x 6" Fired Brass Carrying Bag
  • Removable Carry Strap with Shoulder Bag
  • 17" x 10" x 10" Main Compartment
  • 2 Removable Padded Pistol Rugs
  • Removable Stage Bag

Earmuffs might be a tight fit with all of the other stuff, but they can ride on top of the bag just fine.

I really like the $16 LA Police Gear pistol cases (you can get them on sale for $9 occasionally). I have 10 in all different colors. Each dedicated to a different pistol. uuYpCQR.jpg

Each one holds a pistol and 5 or 6 mags plus some parts and support equipment.
888Cpmf.jpg

I can grab two or three and toss them in a bag with some ammo, eyes, ears, and targets and I’m off. They also slide very well into a rifle case or backpack.

I also have a hard Pelican 1500 case with a pistol insert that’s great to bring 4 pistols, a dozen or so mags, and some ancillary gear to a training class.

YshISgl.jpg
This works best if I’m also bringing  another case or bag with the rest of my range gear - eyes, ears, ammo, targets, etc…

5 hours ago, GFarra31 said:

@10x, dang i love the bullseye box idea.    I am a woodworker so I will look for some plans online.   I'll also check out the Midway bags.....I do have individual cases for the pistols that are lockable, so maybe one of the Midways would acomodate the pistol cases and ammo.

@1LtCAP, a safe in your truck......ain't nobody gonna dispute the stuff isn't secure for transport with that!!   Love it!!

Thanks, George

a goodly portion of my reply was sarcasm. and i suppose i should apologize for that.

i do really have a safe bolted in my expedition. it's by a company called  monster vault. this isn't the exact one, but it's close.....

Amazon.com : Under Bed Safe, Rapid Gun Storage Safe Drawer Safe for AR Rifle Ammo Pistol Accessories for Home and Vehicle : Electronics

i haven't transfered it to my excursion yet, because i'm too lazy to drop the fuel tank to facilitate bolting it in that truck(on the excursion the tank's at the very rear of the vehicle just where i'd need to access the floor to bolt it down..the expedition has a frame-rail mounted tank). i also keep my tank full, and it's a 47 gallon tank. when i figure an alternative way to fasten it into the excursion, i'll be swapping it in.

the rest.......locking the ammo and whatnot...that was sarcasm, lol.

found it6...this is the exact one. i like it.

MonsterVault Dual Lock Under Bed Safe Proudly Made in the USA : Tools & Home Improvement (amazon.com)