GFarra31

Sending a firearm for warranty repair...how in NJ

Hi Everyone,

I'm fairly new to firearms and was wondering.   If I ever needed to send one of my firearms in for a warranty repair do I need to go through an FFL to ship it back to the manufacturer, or can i ship and receive it back myself?    Is there a different answer for hand guns versus long guns?

Thank you, George

You do not have to go through an FFL. You simply pack it up and drop it off at the manufacturer's carrier of choice. When it's repaired, they will ship it right back to your door.

The only issue is if you need a total replacement. That might have to go through the FFL for a transfer.

10 minutes ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

The only issue is if you need a total replacement.

If the serial number of the returned firearm is different, than it must go through an FFL.

I think that's more specific. 

Historically that would mean the 'frame'. But now it might mean something else, like the fire control group.

And god knows what it will mean if Brandon's ATF has their way and starts serializing everything.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GFarra31 said:

@45Doll, thanks.   So on my SIGP320...the FCU and on my SW22 Victory, the frame......whichever is the serialized part if I understand correctly.

That's right. If the (same) serialized part is returned to you, it's the same firearm even if they change everything else.

I sent back a M&P 45 to S&W because of a gap between the frame and the slide at the muzzle. The polymer frame was malformed. When they returned the pistol it was a new (different) frame, and that was a (different) serialized part. So it had to be returned to my FFL.

But get this: then I had to burn a pistol permit to take possession of it, because it was a different pistol from the one I sent. Thank you NJ.

Keep that in mind.

• Thanks 1

On 5/20/2022 at 5:07 PM, GFarra31 said:

@45Doll, thanks.   So on my SIGP320...the FCU and on my SW22 Victory, the frame......whichever is the serialized part if I understand correctly.

So I have direct experience with this. I sent my P320 to Sig and they had to replace the FCU which meant it got a new serial number. Because of that they had to send it to my FFL whereby I needed a permit to re-claim it. Luckily I typically try to always have a permit or two active it wasn't a huge deal for me but if your going to send a 320 in for service I would simultaneously apply for a permit if you don't have one.