1LtCAP

stealth body armor.

not sure if this should be here or somewhere else...but considering the times, it would seem prudent to put it here in the prepping section.

i watch this channel sometimes. saw this test on premier body armor, and to be honest it looks pretty dam good. while it's not perfect(what is really, right?) it would seem to be a good way to be armored up for the most common possible rounds without drawing any attention from the nutters........

Ultimate Gray Man Body Armor Loadout For SHTF - YouTube

• Informative 1

Following the Buffalo supermarket shooting, where the bad guys armor stopped some hits from a good guy early on in the fight, I predict legislation on body armor coming down sooner rather than later - if not nationally, at least regionally.

If it is something you are interested in, now is the time.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Following the Buffalo supermarket shooting, where the bad guys armor stopped some hits from a good guy early on in the fight, I predict legislation on body armor coming down sooner rather than later - if not nationally, at least regionally.

that was something i was thinking too. and as i'm sure you probably think too......as per usual, they go after the wrong thing again.......

that said.....i've got a expired soft plate set, and a soon to expire soft plate set. i keep those, because something's better than nothing. i've got hard armor, but there's no way to wear that without drawing attention. this thing here......i ordered medium. that size fits me "80's" snug, which would totally conceal underneath of a flannel or a work shirt.

on that note, i also wonder....when watching the video linked in the buffalo thread.........i didn't notice any hesitation that would've happened had he taken a hit or two...making me think he didn't take any hits. i feel that even with hard armor, at the very least, the person(especially since he wasn't expecting any resistance) there'd have been a "oh s#^% moment of hesitation.

I have a plate carrier with Level 3 armor, which will stop rifle rounds, but not armor piercing military grade rounds.  I am not LE, and I really can't imagine when I would ever use it other than training classes and SHTF.  I didn't want to spend the extra bucks for 3+, so I figure if I get nailed with an armor piercing round, I'm just really unlucky. 

Soft places are definitely more concealable.  Premier body armor provides their stuff to youtubers for testing.  Maks and I haven't done any yet but we do have some from them to test.

Their shirt is "concealable" which means you can hide it under another shirt, but you see it's just a rectangle of IIIA armor that sticks out rather unnaturally.  He also talks about being a "Grey man" but walks around Target with a Multicam tactical backpack... 

https://premierbodyarmor.com/collections/everyday-armor-t-shirt/products/everyday-armor-t-shirt-level-iiia-armor-inserts

That being said - it's better than nothing and the price isn't too bad.  If you do want more discreet armor - I say look at MC armor.  Look at this tank top - it's Slim and discreet and IIIA - and 3x as expensive.

https://mc-armor.com/collections/bulletproof-t-shirts/products/the-perfect-tank-top-level-iiia?variant=32442228605010

Their stealth armor jacket is super comfy - I tried it on at SHOT Show.  This one's a lot more worth the price, IMO.

https://mc-armor.com/collections/gold-collection/products/the-stellar-armor-jacket-level-iiia?variant=32443376042066

20 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

On soft kevlar armor - I've got a vest, purchased new, that's now ~13 years old.  I wore it about 5 times for range trips and the rest of the time it's been on a closet shelf.

Do I need to replace it?

It will still stop rounds - it's better than nothing.  I use my expired IIIA soft armor as a backer for my hard armor plates.

17 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

It will still stop rounds - it's better than nothing.  I use my expired IIIA soft armor as a backer for my hard armor plates.

Thanks.  Just found this blurb too:

“NIJ tests failed to demonstrate any significant differences in 10-year-old armor, regardless of the extent of use or apparent physical condition”

“The warranty exists solely to limit the manufacturer's liability on the product and is not a reflection of the anticipated service life of the product.”

And this:

http://bulletproofme.com/Photos/11-Year-Old_Vest_Shootout_PHOTOS.shtml

18 hours ago, High Exposure said:

There is already a bill in NY state.

20 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

on that note, i also wonder....when watching the video linked in the buffalo thread.........i didn't notice any hesitation that would've happened had he taken a hit or two...making me think he didn't take any hits. i feel that even with hard armor, at the very least, the person(especially since he wasn't expecting any resistance) there'd have been a "oh s#^% moment of hesitation.

You’d be surprised how often people do not react when shot. Pistol rounds are notoriously bad at stopping bad guys.

8 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

On soft kevlar armor - I've got a vest, purchased new, that's now ~13 years old.  I wore it about 5 times for range trips and the rest of the time it's been on a closet shelf.

Do I need to replace it?

The armor does not stop working magically on the 5th anniversary of its being manufactured.

The “expiration” date is there as “insurance”.

Moisture breakers down aramid fibers. The humidity and sweat your body produces provides enough moisture to affect the armor. The “expiration” date is assuming you are wearing the armor every day for 5 years on 100* weather and rain storms every other day.

If you take care of your amor: 
• Keep it dry
• Lay it flat or Hang it
• Don’t store it in a hot trunk all summer

The armor will last much longer than the 5 year NIJ “expiration date”. Side note - in Europe, they certify the same armor for 10years.

As a confidence boost - I have taken armor to the range that was manufactured in the mid 1990s and shot it with .38, 9mm, .40 and .45 and 00B 12g. The armor stopped everything. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

You’d be surprised how often people do not react when shot. Pistol rounds are notoriously bad at stopping bad guys.

The armor does not stop working magically on the 5th anniversary of its being manufactured.

The “expiration” date is there as “insurance”.

Moisture breakers down aramid fibers. The humidity and sweat your body produces provides enough moisture to affect the armor. The “expiration” date is assuming you are wearing the armor every day for 5 years on 100* weather and rain storms every other day.

If you take care of your amor: 
• Keep it dry
• Lay it flat or Hang it
• Don’t store it in a hot trunk all summer

The armor will last much longer than the 5 year NIJ “expiration date”. Side note - in Europe, they certify the same armor for 10years.

As a confidence boost - I have taken armor to the range that was manufactured in the mid 1990s and shot it with .38, 9mm, .40 and .45 and 00B 12g. The armor stopped everything. 

Just curious....do you recall the distance(s) the armor was tested at? 

8 minutes ago, siderman said:

Just curious....do you recall the distance(s) the armor was tested at? 

Started at 25yards. Ended at 5 yards with the pistol. Then we moved back to 10 yards for 3 rounds of 00B. we shot 4 sets of expired armor over 4 days like this. None of the armor failed. 

It was not a scientific and we did not do contact shots as prescribed by the FBI testing protocol.

• Agree 1

54 minutes ago, samiam said:

Now passed and signed. Unfortunately, I'm not certain how best such a law can successfully be challenged. I suppose some org could contend that body armor is included in the 2A definition of "Arms", but that would probably involve some pretty heavy legal lifting. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Phucktard Phil badger the NJ legislature into following suit. I'm more looking for something I could throw on in the event of a home invasion, so stealthiness isn't as high on my priority list as affordability and effectivity. As far as I have read, the NY law makes no exeption for in-home use, the prohibition is on purchase and possession.  

i think ar500's got some decent deals on that. premier also has hard armor and carriers. i've already got a lvl4 vest though, which as you said...can be thrown on quickly. i liked this cause it's virtually invisible, and could easily be worn while at work, or when taking mom shopping at wallyworld.  that's what caught my eye about thisone. i'm gonna order their vest tonight.

41 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Just keep in mind - there's a "Spall factor" when you get AR500 armor.  You're toting around a steel plate and it's gonna send fragments in all directions.  

yea that's something i worry about....

On 6/11/2022 at 3:24 PM, samiam said:

Now passed and signed. Unfortunately, I'm not certain how best such a law can successfully be challenged. I suppose some org could contend that body armor is included in the 2A definition of "Arms", but that would probably involve some pretty heavy legal lifting. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Phucktard Phil badger the NJ legislature into following suit. I'm more looking for something I could throw on in the event of a home invasion, so stealthiness isn't as high on my priority list as affordability and effectivity. As far as I have read, the NY law makes no exeption for in-home use, the prohibition is on purchase and possession.  

So what happens to those who had already legally owned armor?  

NJ potentially (it's just a bill right now, not law yet) queuing  up it's own body armor ban:

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/bill-search/2022/A4369

A new bill in New Jersey would require a "permit to purchase body armor" that can only be obtained by people who meet "good cause eligibility criteria," as determined by the state Attorney General.

unknown.png

unknown.png

• FacePalm 1

Just now, CMJeepster said:

Because that's gonna keep Jamal from doing a drive by or "Crazy Richard" from gunning down kindergarteners.  JFC.

It's going to get real interesting when fearful anti-gun parents who bought "backpack plates" or similar for their kids get caught up in this, if it becomes law.

On 6/20/2022 at 11:50 AM, ESB said:

So what happens to those who had already legally owned armor?  

If the bill passes as written, you can "register" it, assuming that the attorney general approves you need it, if it is not one of the approved listed jobs (guess what they are...!).  New stuff would require a permit to purchase.  New Jersey would become a  "may issue" body armor state.

Less than a year ago, New York passed a law restricting residents from purchasing body armor.

Image of the tyrannical governor of New York stepping on our constitutional rights

A few months later, California proposed a bill doing the same. The California Assembly Committee on Public Safety will actually hear Assembly Bills 92 and 301, to ban body armor TODAY (9 am PST).  We plan to watch it live HERE

Link to the NRA general assembly article

Now, Illinois is preparing to follow suit.  Watch the Armed Scholar break down HB3238 in the video linked below.  

Link to the armed scholar video on the proposed IL ban on body armor

Why does this matter to you?

This backward trend means our ability to protect ourselves and our loved ones is being threatened. The GOA is planning to fight these unconstitutional laws and Premier Body Armor is going to be right there with them defending YOUR constitutional rights! 

Please contact your representative and let them know that tyrannical overreaches such as these will not be tolerated.  

Find your representative HERE