Lawnmower2021

Door-to-door salesmen - is this actually a thing?

So, I spent most of my life in Brooklyn. Plenty of folks from sketchy power companies regularly got into my old apartment building and harassed everyone.

Lately I'm noticing similar in NJ. People knocking on my door wearing randomly branded clothing. One guy had "Power" logos all over his clothes but was pitching roof repair (which I don't need).

Extremely insistent on me opening the door to talk to him (which I never would). As he left, I saw someone else with a clipboard and tablet pass by.

Is this something that actually happens in NJ? Should I be concerned?

Yes, it’s a construction company. Super pushy sales. If they are doing windows or roofing or something in an area, they send sales guys out tithe surrounding blocks. They don’t have a good rep for their work from what I hear…

-Jim

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JimB1 said:

Yes, it’s a construction company. Super pushy sales. If they are doing windows or roofing or something in an area, they send sales guys out tithe surrounding blocks. They don’t have a good rep for their work from what I hear…

-Jim

This is when you ask if they have a permit for solicitation..... and if not - get the f out and call the township on 'em.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

Is this something that actually happens in NJ?

It depends on the town. I'm in a small and very pedestrian-friendly town (houses are set close together, sidewalks on both sides of the street, etc.) - we attract all kinds of foot traffic - from real estate agents, to Jehovah's witnesses, to trick-or-treaters. I don't mind the last group, but the rest I/we shoo away! 

As Krshrk mentioned, check if your town has a non-solicitation policy (most do somewhere in their ordinances). That threat can and does help. I've even called the police on a couple of occasions if I got a particularly bad vibe off someone... in my town we're pretty aware of that stuff, because at points in the past, we would notice that door-to-door solicitations were coinciding with things mysteriously going missing from people's cars, garages, etc. Sadly, it pays to be a little bit suspicious sometimes. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I never even knew non-solicitation policies existed, thank you!

Aside from residents, we don't often get foot traffic around here. Maybe it's just the season. I notice some drop business cards, which is far preferred.

Despite politely asking this guy to leave a card, he kept insisting I open the door to talk to him. He didn't even tell me what company he's with. Plus, calling my brand-new roof "aging" really spiked my BS meter. Thankfully he left when I asked him to.

In times like this, how can anyone honestly expect people to open their door to a stranger? There are so many cases of people breaking into homes in this way.

I always have Nasty Pitties. It pays when a jehovah pair comes to the door with a snarling pittie just inches away from a religious snack! My doggos are usually the beat up ones from a rescue that after I have them they think they are in Heaven. So, they will defend Heaven at all cost!

We often (once or twice a week on average) get these people coming to our door.  Most are there to sell solar. I tell them sternly that I am not interested nor will I ever be. If they keep talking, I tell them the conversation is over. I also get occasional home improvement companies (POWER among them) and send them away as well.  They strike me as sketchy. E.g. no business cards, ID badge facing backwards so you can’t read it, etc.  

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

When I lived in NJ, we got regular door to door salesmen hawking solar panels, roofs, windows….all sorts of stuff. 

We don’t see that in Texas. 

i still see a lot of that on your old towns farcebook page.

that and the "OMG! did anyone else hear the gunshots??!!" posts.

14 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

We often (once or twice a week on average) get these people coming to our door.  Most are there to sell solar. I tell them sternly that I am not interested nor will I ever be. If they keep talking, I tell them the conversation is over. I also get occasional home improvement companies (POWER among them) and send them away as well.  They strike me as sketchy. E.g. no business cards, ID badge facing backwards so you can’t read it, etc.  

Start asking for solicitation permits.. If they say no then pull out your phone and say - ok hang on let me call the township about you then.

• Agree 2