Cheflife15

Buying a used car

Do you know what exactly you are looking for as far as make, model and year?  Do you know price ranges?

Always a use in haggling.  And for goodness sake, don't tell them you are looking to buy today!  Be willing, and I encourage you, to walk away.  Looks at a few different lots.  

Also, don't buy a GM vehicle.  They are complete crap.

19 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Two words.  Toyota & Honda.  

I would probably be looking for a used Corrola or maybe a Camry.  Definelty a four cylinder.  

Good luck.

How do you feel about mazda? I'm going to put 50k miles on a year. 

38 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Do you know what exactly you are looking for as far as make, model and year?  Do you know price ranges?

Always a use in haggling.  And for goodness sake, don't tell them you are looking to buy today!  Be willing, and I encourage you, to walk away.  Looks at a few different lots.  

Also, don't buy a GM vehicle.  They are complete crap.

Yes. I'm looking at all Japanese cars.  I'm in food sales so I'm driving long days. 

Don't know as much about Mazdas.  From what little I know they are trying to position themselves as more "upscale".

Stay away from Nissans.  Their transmissions (CVT transmissions) are less than reliable.  The Nissan Frontiers with manual transmissions are supposed to be pretty reliable if you want a truck.  I wouldn't touch a Nisaan with automatic transmission though.

What type of vehicle to you need?  If just something to get you from A to B as cheaply and reliably as possible then I would seriously look at a Toyota Corolla.

If you need an SUV to lug stuff around then look at some of the Toyota and Honda small to midsized SUVs.  Toyota RAV4, Honda Passport, Honda Ridgeline if you want/ need something with a bed.

I'm going to repeat this because it's worth repeating.  Stay away (FAR AWAY) from anything GM.

10 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Don't know as much about Mazdas.  From what little I know they are trying to position themselves as more "upscale".

Stay away from Nissans.  Their transmissions (CVT transmissions) are less than reliable.  The Nissan Frontiers with manual transmissions are supposed to be pretty reliable if you want a truck.  I wouldn't touch a Nisaan with automatic transmission though.

What type of vehicle to you need?  If just something to get you from A to B as cheaply and reliably as possible then I would seriously look at a Toyota Corolla.

If you need an SUV to lug stuff around then look at some of the Toyota and Honda small to midsized SUVs.  Toyota RAV4, Honda Passport, Honda Ridgeline if you want/ need something with a bed.

I'm going to repeat this because it's worth repeating.  Stay away (FAR AWAY) from anything GM.

I don't need a ton of space and I have a family friend that works at Honda. Im debating them now. Their krv is the same price as the mazda 3. Mazda has a lower sticker value and bunch of bs fees. They both can leave the lot at 27k with similar years and miles. I'll pick honda every time!

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Nissan is offering 8+ years warranty on those transmissions.  I have a 2019 Rogue,  and just sold my 2000 pathfinder which I got 15 good years out of.  I would not count out Nissan.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tunaman said:

Nissan is offering 8+ years warranty on those transmissions.  I have a 2019 Rogue,  and just sold my 2000 pathfinder which I got 15 good years out of.  I would not count out Nissan.

He'll be driving 50k miles a year.  What is the mileage component of that warranty?

According to Nissan's website I'm only seeing "Almost every Nissan – including yours - comes with a 3-year/36,000 mile limited warranty, and a 5-year limited powertrain warranty. For enhanced protection, Nissan also offers optional extended warranties."

https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/ownership/warranty.html

8 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

He'll be driving 50k miles a year.  What is the mileage component of that warranty?

According to Nissan's website I'm only seeing "Almost every Nissan – including yours - comes with a 3-year/36,000 mile limited warranty, and a 5-year limited powertrain warranty. For enhanced protection, Nissan also offers optional extended warranties."

https://www.nissanusa.com/owners/ownership/warranty.html

i got a letter saying the warranty is extended to 8 years.

On 5/28/2022 at 2:18 PM, gleninjersey said:

Two words.  Toyota & Honda.  

I would probably be looking for a used Corrola or maybe a Camry.  Definelty a four cylinder.  

Good luck.

you don't want a 4banger camry. the 1.8 in the corolla is a fantastic engine....but the 2.4(i think that's the camry's 4banger) isn't so great. if you go camry, stick with v6. you won't regret it.

• Informative 1

12 minutes ago, H2oVento said:

Worked for Subaru for 6 years. GREAT cars. 

Driven a Subaru for 6 years, and I echo this opinion!  

I'm happier with my Outback than with my previous Mazda, Mercedes, or Nissan. The only thing that came close was an Integra GS-R, because that was a LOT of fun to drive.   The Mercedes was by far the worst of the group--it was the low-end C230 Coupe they made for only a couple of years, in an attempt to have a sub-$25K car on the market.   I had 36 dealer visits in 36 months due to an impressive list of electrical system failures, two transmissions trashed due to coolant leaks, etc. etc. 

My wife has had very good luck with a series of Toyota Rav4's