Scorpio64

Memorial Day

If you want to thank a soldier on memorial day, this is where you will have to go.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-M1HUn1TB4Zc/Wws_LAZ5HRI/AAAAAAABS8Q/jEaTiouYroU-m3NmMG_eMh3yGi2BzVckgCLcBGAs/s1600/arlington_virginia_united_states_arlington_national_cemetery.jpg

Tomorrow, we honor the dead

. “Our flag does not fly because the wind moves it. It flies with the last breath of each soldier who died protecting it.”- Unknown

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Also

Please, let us not forget those for whom the battlefield followed them home. Agent orange, mental breakdown, suicide, Gulf syndrome, and the plethora of other invisible boogeymen that stalked them until the very end. Remember the fallen, who's unseen wounds occurred on the battlefield, and were left ignored and untreated.

I lost two friends to agent orange.  They made it home alive, but it was the war that eventually killed them.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Also

Please, let us not forget those for whom the battlefield followed them home. Agent orange, mental breakdown, suicide, Gulf syndrome, and the plethora of other invisible boogeymen that stalked them until the very end. Remember the fallen, who's unseen wounds occurred on the battlefield, and were left ignored and untreated.

I lost two friends to agent orange.  They made it home alive, but it was the war that eventually killed them.

Both my brothers were in country 67-68 both were 100% disabled and both died from agent orange. one 4 years ago and the other last aug. 

Have a safe Memorial Day. Please don't say Happy!

• Sad 1

I was deferred and in college from 66-70. In the year before I graduated they instituted the draft lottery. I was in college in Montreal at the time (yes deferred in college, I wasn't dodging) when they held the lottery. All the Americans were in the dorm TV room watching. When they pulled the sixth number one of residents just screamed and ran out of the room. That was his birthdate and he knew he'd be called. My birthdate was pulled as #325, so I wasn't called.

After @Downtownv's post about 'don't say Happy Memorial Day' I thought about it quite a lot. Then on the History channel yesterday I happened to see they were running Vietnam in HD, which I've never seen. That would have been my war. So I recorded it and watched the first two of six hours. Not the usual sterile style chronology like other Vietnam documentaries I've watched, but a collection of personal accounts of men who went to Vietnam, and their experiences. The stories so far have been really grim. It made me think further about Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Ukraine, and all the bravado politicians I've heard over the last 40 years hawking war as a matter of pride and patriotism. I don't think I buy that any more. Especially when I now know the Number One Export of the U.S.A. is... armaments. Real 'weapons of war'.

Regardless, have an Honorable Memorial Day.

Watch Vietnam in HD Full Episodes, Video & More | History Vault

• Like 1

Went trap shooting earlier, had a bite at my neighbors house, now drinking a bourbon and watching NASCAR.

Thank you to all those that sacrificed their lives for our Freedoms.

A drink in their Honor.

Speaking of NASCAR would like to go to Charlotte for this race where they Honor those that passed. Anyone been?

IMG_1852.PNG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 45Doll said:

I was deferred and in college from 66-70. In the year before I graduated they instituted the draft lottery. I was in college in Montreal at the time (yes deferred in college, I wasn't dodging) when they held the lottery. All the Americans were in the dorm TV room watching. When they pulled the sixth number one of residents just screamed and ran out of the room. That was his birthdate and he knew he'd be called. My birthdate was pulled as #325, so I wasn't called.

After @Downtownv's post about 'don't say Happy Memorial Day' I thought about it quite a lot. Then on the History channel yesterday I happened to see they were running Vietnam in HD, which I've never seen. That would have been my war. So I recorded it and watched the first two of six hours. Not the usual sterile style chronology like other Vietnam documentaries I've watched, but a collection of personal accounts of men who went to Vietnam, and their experiences. The stories so far have been really grim. It made me think further about Iraq, Afghanistan, and now Ukraine, and all the bravado politicians I've heard over the last 40 years hawking war as a matter of pride and patriotism. I don't think I buy that any more. Especially when I now know the Number One Export of the U.S.A. is... armaments. Real 'weapons of war'.

My draft # was lucky 13!!!

9 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Went trap shooting earlier, had a bite at my neighbors house, now drinking a bourbon and watching NASCAR.

Thank you to all those that sacrificed their lives for our Freedoms.

A drink in their Honor.

Speaking of NASCAR would like to go to Charlotte for this race where they Honor those that passed. Anyone been?

IMG_1852.PNG

While there is no observation of Memorial Day for us in Japan, I will be sitting back and reflecting this evening about how fortunate we truly are, that countless veterans sacrificed, and gave the ULTIMATE sacrifice to protect our freedoms. 

As many problems and challenges we face in our country today, none of us would be where we are today if it wasn’t for the past, present, and future warfighters of our country. 

When I return to the hotel, I will also be cracking a bit of whisky to toast, and remember the great men and women who sacrificed for all of us. 

And I hope that you all will take a moment from your  day to do the same. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 45Doll said:

We used to say "Old men sent their young men to settle their problem"

Please DON'T Say "Happy" Memorial Day!

Veterans.jpg

Memorialday.jpg

FB_IMG_1653620555549.jpg

Half Staff.jpeg

• Like 1