Downtownv

Another Year, The NRA will NOT be getting my $$$

LaPierre overwhelmingly re-elected as NRA head by board members

By Cam Edwards | May 30, 2022 1:17 PM

Screen-Shot-2022-05-30-at-1.08.34-PM-730x0.png

The outcome of the “reformers'” (or “internal enemies'” depending on who you’re talking to) attempt to unseat NRA Executive Vice President and CEO Wayne LaPierre was never really in doubt; the question was how many votes would challenger Allen West receive from the 76 members of the NRA Board of Directors.

https://bearingarms.com/camedwards/2022/05/30/lapierre-overwhelmingly-re-elected-as-nra-head-by-board-members-n58864?utm_source=badaily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=nl&bcid=00ea90fbf351bbfd29c96affd26f2dca49954a466ec9e3e8139f308bd8a1cb93

He must have Pics of the Board Members coming out of a cheap motel with young boys!

Screen-Shot-2022-05-30-at-1.08.34-PM-730x0.png

The outcome of the “reformers'” (or “internal enemies'” depending on who you’re talking to) attempt to unseat NRA Executive Vice President and CEO Wayne LaPierre was never really in doubt; the question was how many votes would challenger Allen West receive from the 76 members of the NRA Board of Directors.

• Like 1

I became a life member before lapierre.  I certainly wouldn't now.        I'm not sure whats going on with the NRA and him other than what is made public but I think for appearances sake right now he should step aside.       

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Were it not a requirement for membership at most NJ ranges, I believe NRA membership here would be very low.  The only way the NRA can sustain itself is via extortion and relentless panhandling.

That is the main reason I don't become a member of any of the private clubs close to me. If they want my money they will drop the NRA MANDATE!

The way the NRA is structured to preserve the status quo, I think Kim Jong-un is more likely to be voted out of office than is Wayne LaPierre.    

And that's a big problem.

• Like 1

I have been a life member for many years. NOT ONE MORE DIME!!! To pay for his suits and lavish vacations?? Hell no. What has he done for us in nj? NOTHING!! We are fucked and will get more fucktigated! [Not sure if that's a word but it is now]

Only 1 board member voted to remove him, and it wasn't either one from NJ....

Not sure if it passed, but the NRA was attempting to amend the bylaws to prevent board members from attempting to remove Wayne without "good cause". Sounds like our carry laws, doesn't it?

https://www.anjrpc.org/page/NRABylawAmendments/NRA-Voting-Members-Important-Bylaw-Amendments-Coming.htm

Here are the key proposed changes:

• Amendments to Article IX’s recall election process ensure voting members’ choices are respected, by improving the fairness of the removal process for officers and directors.

Specifically:

• Allowing removal only for good cause, such as violating the Bylaws or disrupting NRA operations.
  • Allowing dismissal of frivolous or malicious recall petitions designed to harm your NRA, with fair appeals for everyone involved.
  • Candidate petitions would require at least as many signatures as 0.5% of the valid ballots cast the previous year.  Based on typical turnouts, this approximates 500 to 750 signatures—not a high hurdle in the Internet age.
  • Recall petitions would require at least as many signatures as 5% of the valid ballots cast the previous year. The higher requirement for recall petitions ensures that the will of tens of thousands of voting members can’t be reversed without broad support.  (The NRA Bylaws already allow for the expulsion or other punishment of directors and officers for good cause through ethics hearings.)
  • Similarly, the 5% requirement for Bylaw amendments proposed by members ensures that the NRA’s fundamental rules can’t be changed without broad support of the membership.

https://shows.cadence13.com/podcast/gangster-capitalism/season/2

That podcast goes into the shady dealings of Wayne Lapierre and his crony board members. It's definitely worth a listen and perhaps someone more eloquent than I can summarize it. :D @Mrs. Peel

2 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

That podcast goes into the shady dealings of Wayne Lapierre and his crony board members. It's definitely worth a listen and perhaps someone more eloquent than I can summarize it. :D @Mrs. Peel

I'd like to hear the board members from NJ explain why they chose to continue supporting LaPierre.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, 10X said:

I'd like to hear the board members from NJ explain why they chose to continue supporting LaPierre.

I recommend sending an email to the one with the podcast (I'm not going to call him out here). Perhaps he will address it on his show?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Because, gun ranges and codependency on NRA insurance racket.

People will not cancel their NRA membership if they want to keep shooting.  It's basically the exact same racket the dems have with welfare recipients.

If NRA members have the courage to actually call or e-mail the NRA and outright CANCEL memberships by the hundreds of thousands (millions would be better), even life time members, maybe they will get the hint.  If NRA members are committed to turning the do-nothing organization around, you will have to accept that there will be a cost.  You can't just wish for change.

I will not support the NRA as it currently stands.  The price I've paid is not being able to become a member of a couple ranges I'd really love to join.  I have to drive to Stafford Forge, Colliers Mills, Ft Dix or Clinton to shoot.

The alternative is to get some other 2A group to insure ranges, or at least convince ranges to accept an alternative to the NRA.  If NJ ranges accepted GOA, NAGR, SAF, etc, then we could break the cycle of codependency.

If people put as much time and energy into demanding change in the NRA as they do bitching about the organization, Wayne would have been gone a long time ago.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 10X said:

I agree. 

Too much dirt surfaced after NY’s AG findings. 
https://slate.com/transcripts/MmxWWWs4bFJCMHA0eXRqeFFhT2tuOW5Mb2VTT09RM2ppV2lpV3EvY25aaz0=

LaPierre needs to be ousted, but it seems like everyone who gets a seat in the NRA’s platinum lounge for the annual session of ass-slathering believes it’s worth being complicit and voting LaPierre in despite his extravagant lifestyle and squandering of NRA’s millions. 

They deserve to fail. 

49 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Because, gun ranges and codependency on NRA insurance racket.

People will not cancel their NRA membership if they want to keep shooting.  It's basically the exact same racket the dems have with welfare recipients.

If NRA members have the courage to actually call or e-mail the NRA and outright CANCEL memberships by the hundreds of thousands (millions would be better), even life time members, maybe they will get the hint.  If NRA members are committed to turning the do-nothing organization around, you will have to accept that there will be a cost.  You can't just wish for change.

I will not support the NRA as it currently stands.  The price I've paid is not being able to become a member of a couple ranges I'd really love to join.  I have to drive to Stafford Forge, Colliers Mills, Ft Dix or Clinton to shoot.

The alternative is to get some other 2A group to insure ranges, or at least convince ranges to accept an alternative to the NRA.  If NJ ranges accepted GOA, NAGR, SAF, etc, then we could break the cycle of codependency.

If people put as much time and energy into demanding change in the NRA as they do bitching about the organization, Wayne would have been gone a long time ago.

I find it very interesting that many people in our community are against mandates, rightfully so, but they have no issues with gun clubs instituting an NRA mandate. If member of these clubs said no more NRA or no more annual fees, i'm sure they would rethink their stance.

As much as I like Gun Owners of America and know there some other smaller groups out there, sometimes when a large organization crumbles, it creates a problematic vacuum.  I'm  not saying the NRA should continue as it currently is at all costs, I just saying I hope the pros outweigh the cons should they collapse in amount themselves.

1 hour ago, father-of-three said:

... sometimes when a large organization crumbles, it creates a problematic vacuum.  I'm  not saying the NRA should continue as it currently is at all costs, I just saying I hope the pros outweigh the cons should they collapse in amount themselves.

Agreed - for all its ills, the NRA had political clout as a representative of a huge voter block.

3 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Agreed - for all its ills, the NRA had political clout as a representative of a huge voter block.

“Had” is the key word here  

The NRA membership has vacillated between 4 million to 6 million(?) members for the last three decades. No one knows the real number. That’s not a good sign. 

Today’s millennials, the CRT-educated, the gender-vacillating him, her, it, binary, secondary, tertiary, etc. aren’t joining the NRA. 

That’s not a good thing. 

13 minutes ago, FairbanksRusty said:

“Had” is the key word here  

The NRA membership has vacillated between 4 million to 6 million(?) members for the last three decades. No one knows the real number. That’s not a good sign. 

Today’s millennials, the CRT-educated, the gender-vacillating him, her, it, binary, secondary, tertiary, etc. aren’t joining the NRA. 

That’s not a good thing. 

I think it’s a bad thing in many ways, but a lot of this has been brought on by the NRA themselves 

• Agree 3

12 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

You rang, sir? LOL...

Interesting podcast. Here's the main takeaways:  

• Despite rumors of corruption for years, LaPierre's still standing - after almost 30 years in the role.
  • The NRA has spent $100M fighting lawsuits (money that didn't go, of course, to help the 2020 election or other worth causes).
  • The podcast interviewed Desiree Paine (sp?) (now separated wife of Paul Paine) - both belonged to the Members' Council of California (a grassroots state-level 2A org which recruits members for NRA).  According to her:
    • her husband, Paul Paine, has been paid off  (80K cash annually, retirements, a personal assistant + other benefits) for his loyalty to LaPierre - essentially for helping to "fix" internal NRA elections to ensure LaPierre loyalists get on the board & protect his role there.
    • Because so few NRA members vote by mail, it only takes a couple thousand votes to "sway the results" - so by influencing the 100,000+ members of the California organization (instructing them who to vote for) - they can stack the board with the right people.
    • Sometimes though, those efforts still fail - and the "wrong" person (someone not loyal to LaPierre) gets on the board. In those cases, then Paul Paine travels with a dozen or so volunteers on an all-expenses-paid trip to the annual NRA convention - for "electioneering" purposes - to hand out flyers, hitting as many of the participants as possible - all to ensure they vote for LaPierre loyalists. 
    • The volunteers are sworn to secrecy about how it's all funded, etc. They don't reveal to anyone that it's all been comped by NRA funds (which of course translates to member dues).
  • Next, they interviewed Michael Schwartz - relatively new to 2A activism, who joined the Members Council and was soon elected President of the San Diego branch. According to him:
    • He was soon frustrated that Paul Paine seemed thoroughly resistant to all of his ideas to build grassroots support.
    • Paul Paine than invited him to attend/volunteer at the upcoming convention - sort of as a reward for his hard work (or so he thought). 
    • He found out his job was actually to get Joel Friedman (a LaPierre loyalist) elected to the board that particular year.
    • Though he enjoyed the event, he started to wonder "who's paying for this...?" and "is this ethical?" - as it turns out, Friedman was elected. 
    • Basically, Schwartz says Paul Paine is paid - out of NRA dues - specifically to protect Wayne's role as President - to ensure that people loyal to him are voted onto the board. Of course, the hotels, the concert tickets, the expensive dinners, etc. - are also being paid by NRA funds. 
  • So, both of these folks are basically saying that members dues are being harness for the wrong reasons. The dues are being used to keep people like LaPierre in power... rather than to promote/protect the 2A.

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

The dues are being used to keep people like LaPierre in power... rather than to promote/protect the 2A.

Yup, agrees with what I've read elsewhere.  It seems like the only way out now is for the NRA to get dissolved in a legal action or for it to be starved of funds.

17 hours ago, DirtyDigz said:

Sadly, as a board member and two active court cases I cannot comment as I could do more harm. I can say this, please hang on. The cases are almost over and many changes will be coming. We still need the 5 million members and their voices. The NRA has many. many cases that we cannot lose sight or support for. When I can I will be full disclosure. Believe me. The muzzle is killing me!

Ant

• Thanks 2