Cheflife15

Trigger recommendation

On 6/6/2022 at 2:46 PM, Cheflife15 said:

Ammo and training are already in the budget. I'm here for a trigger. 

Let's not derail please. 

Is there a budget for the trigger? 

I just picked up a Geissele SSP, but haven't tried it yet.

I do have a Hiperfire Eclipse, and it is the nicest single stage I've fired so far. It has an adjustable trigger pull, and it hits harder with the lighter springs in. 

https://www.hiperfire.com/product/hipertouchecl/

10 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Is there a budget for the trigger? 

I just picked up a Geissele SSP, but haven't tried it yet.

I do have a Hiperfire Eclipse, and it is the nicest single stage I've fired so far. It has an adjustable trigger pull, and it hits harder with the lighter springs in. 

https://www.hiperfire.com/product/hipertouchecl/

There is no budget.  What do you mean hits harder? 

Also trying to keep this trigger as reliable as possible

I have a SSA-E, had a SSA and have a G2S. They are in that order, best to worst but the G2S on sale was really the only one that I thought was “worth it” but the other two are objectively awesome 

EDIT: crap, you clearly said single stage. Never mind then. 

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Cheflife15 said:

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but my understanding is that some triggers have lightened hammer springs to achieve a lighter trigger pull, which may result in light primer strikes. Hiperfire's design allegedly allows the hammer to hit harder the lighter the springs used. 

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, Cheflife15 said:

Hits harder means the force of the hammer on the firing pin, and as a result, the strike on primer, is harder. 

Some light triggers have trouble igniting military primers because some military primers are harder to ignite. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Hits harder means the force of the hammer on the firing pin, and as a result, the strike on primer, is harder. 

Some light triggers have trouble igniting military primers because some military primers are harder to ignite. 

Just as a data point, I have had no issues lighting off m193 with CMC drop ins, the ALG-act with JP springs, my giessele SD3G, the JP kit that needs fitting, or my adjustable triggertech. 

At this point, most of the triggers work fine for military primers. There will be more issue if you want them to operate pistol caliber uppers and rimfire uppers. Both of those are blowback, and induce more drag on the hammer which can negatively impact reset. 

• Informative 1

38 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Just as a data point, I have had no issues lighting off m193 with CMC drop ins, the ALG-act with JP springs, my giessele SD3G, the JP kit that needs fitting, or my adjustable triggertech. 

At this point, most of the triggers work fine for military primers. There will be more issue if you want them to operate pistol caliber uppers and rimfire uppers. Both of those are blowback, and induce more drag on the hammer which can negatively impact reset. 

I’ve had no issues with M193/M855 with ALG-ACT trigger and the lower power springs. 

I have the same trigger in my Colt LE901 .308, and have experienced occasional light primer strikes on M80 ball. 
I need to switch to the heavier springs on that rifle. 

• Informative 1

20 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I'm sure someone else will chime in, but my understanding is that some triggers have lightened hammer springs to achieve a lighter trigger pull, which may result in light primer strikes. Hiperfire's design allegedly allows the hammer to hit harder the lighter the springs used. 

That's why I used one on my 7.62x39 ar.  

22 hours ago, Shocker said:

I have a SSA-E, had a SSA and have a G2S. They are in that order, best to worst but the G2S on sale was really the only one that I thought was “worth it” but the other two are objectively awesome 

EDIT: crap, you clearly said single stage. Never mind then. 

The more I read the more I'm open to 2 stage. I'll look into this. It seems at close range single stage vs 2 stage is negligible. 

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

That's why I used one on my 7.62x39 ar.  

Interesting, so hypothetically speaking, the hiperfire would be MORE reliable?

Any negative side effects to a heavier hammer? 

I have single stage RISE triggers in 3 builds and they work just fine. I did have one issue. I was unable to get one in an AERO Precision lower. After researching a bit it seems to be a known issue. If your lower is an AERO you may want to look at something else. 

I read a solution was to grind the front corners off the RISE trigger but I wasn't comfortable doing that.

I'm running a Timney Comp drop in trigger in my LMT.  Love it.  They come in 3, 4, and 4.5 lbs. I have about 2500 rounds on it with out an issue.  Funny thing is my buddy has the Triggertech adjustable that is a lot lighter, but the break on the Timney seems to be cleaner.  The Triggertech is also very nice and is adjustable,  but I prefer the simplicity of the Timney. 

I have the ALG, PNT, SSA-E, MBT2s, RRA2stage

I have also polished milspec triggers that break clean at 3.5-4lbs, down from 7-8lbs. Polishing AR triggers is actually really simple with ceramic polishing stones, and a Dremel polishing wheel.. its incredibly difficult to remove enough material to make the trigger unsafe, or change its dimensions with these tools, but still possible. 

Best bang for buck single stage? The polished milspec triggers. Drop in, would be the BCM PNT, the ALG is just a slightly more expensive version. I can't justify spending 70+ bucks on a single stage if I have GI triggers in the drawer and 20minutes of time to just hone the surfaces to a shine. I'm convinced the ALG and PNT are just mass produced GI triggers with a smooth coating surface.. I'd rather put the money towards a 2stage. 

• Agree 1