SYakoban

FID - How long to buy a handgun?

The renewal is automatic.

It was explained in the email you got from FARS when you were approved....

This is what it looks like...

READ THIS ENTIRE EMAIL

Confirmation Number: xxxxx
SBI Number: xxxxx
Issuing Police Department: xxxxxx
Contact Phone for Issuing Police Department: xxxxxx
Status Update: Approved

Your application for a New Jersey Firearm Purchaser Identification Card and/or Permit to Purchase a Handgun(s) has been approved by the issuing authority.

Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID):
The Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (E-FID) is available from Download E-FID link below. Please note that the physical Firearms Purchaser Identification Cards are no longer issued, and the Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is available for download and print for one year only. You will be required to present Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card along with second form of government ID at the time of firearms transfer.
  • Download E-FID: xxxxx
  • Access Key: xxxxx
Electronic Firearms Purchaser Identification Card is available only until 04/27/2023. Please ensure that you download it to print and save a copy for your records. Otherwise, you will need to submit a new application.

Electronic Permits:
Your electronic permits are now available for use. You will NOT see your permit(s) until a HANDGUN TRANSFER has been EXECUTED.

Number of Active Permits Available for use: 5

Expiration Date: 07/26/2022 - Please note that permit(s) are automatically renewed for additional 90-days unless your Police Department de-activates your E-Permit.

All firearms must be acquired through a NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer with an approved National Instant Criminal Background Check (NICS), pursuant to N.J.S. 2C:58-3(a – b). Private sales of firearms must be facilitated through a NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer unless a qualifying exemption is valid, pursuant to N.J.S. 2C:58-3(a – b). Qualifying exemption include following:
  1. Transfer/sale between Law Enforcement Officer and another Law Enforcement Officer
  2. Transfer/Sale between Immediate Family Members and Immediate Family Members 
  3. Transfer/Sale with Licensed Curio/Relic Dealer and Licensed Curio/Relic Dealer
Contact your LOCAL POLICE DEPARTMENT to determine if you qualify for a NICS Exemption listed in A, B. or C. If you CONFIRM that you qualify for one of these exemptions you DO NOT NEED to go to a NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer for a NICS check. DO NOT ASSUME YOU QUALIFY FOR A NICS EXEMPTION. 
If you qualify for a NICS Check exemption, you can utilize the below link to use your E-PERMIT to purchase a handgun (NICS Check Exempt only):
Sale or transfer of firearms that are conducted under a qualifying exemption pursuant to N.J.S. 2C:58-3(a – b) must be confirmed and certified by both the transferor and transferee prior to conducting a transaction. Any person who knowingly gives false information while completing the certificate to acquire a firearm without obtaining a National Criminal Instant Background Check approval through a NJ Licensed Firearms Dealer is punishable by a crime of the third degree, pursuant to N.J.S. 2C:39-10c.

If you have any further questions about your FID card/permit(s) please contact your issuing police department.

See what else you can do online at  www.NJ.gov.
NJ.gov - The official web site for the State of New Jersey

It used to be 90 days, with an extension to 180 days with your Chief of Police approval. With today's system using FARS it is autoextended to 180 days for handgun permits. Long guns are a different. They do not need a permit to purchase besides your Firearms ID/FID. Once you have your FID you can purchase as many long guns as you wish pending a NICS check. 

To be clear, it's not the FID you need for a handgun, you need the Permit to Purchase (PP) and that's what the 90/180 days applies to.  You need a new PP every time you want to purchase a handgun.

Your FID is used for long guns (and handgun ammo) and that has no time limit.  You get it once and it's good for life (or until you move and change your address).

Hi Everyone,

Ok this is in New Jersey  you say 180 days extension.  Now when you apply for 3 permits you can purchase 1 gun per month that's 3 guns in   90days from the initial permit issued .  So you get a first extension for 90 days and then a second extension for another 90 days which comes out to 180 days .I'm hoping this is the case cause my initial permits were issued Sept 13 they automatic renewed it til 3/13 but my firearm I wish to purchase is on back ordered so I'm hoping they renewed it one more time June 13   

1 minute ago, HenryC said:

Hi Everyone,

Ok this is in New Jersey  you say 180 days extension.  Now when you apply for 3 permits you can purchase 1 gun per month that's 3 guns in   90days from the initial permit issued .  So you get a first extension for 90 days and then a second extension for another 90 days which comes out to 180 days .I'm hoping this is the case cause my initial permits were issued Sept 13 they automatic renewed it til 3/13 but my firearm I wish to purchase is on back ordered so I'm hoping they renewed it one more time June 13   

Only 1 extension will be issued. After 180 days, you need a new permit.