ChrisJM981

SPR build

I've decided I need to build a high(er) end SPR. 

I'm set on:

Criterion 18" barrel 

Geissele Ultra Lower Parts kit

Geissele SSP trigger

Trijicon Accupower 1-8x with ADM quick detach

Everything else is still up in the air. I was thinking of getting a Cerakote SLR Rifleworks builder set (Upper, Lower, and rail). 

https://slrrifleworks.com/slr-b56-builders-set-cerakote/

Open to other suggestions from those that have already been down this road.

10 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Geissele SSP trigger

All the cool kids are going with 2 stage, in fact, the SPR spec calls for a KAC 2 stage.  As an SPR owner myself, I believe the trigger ( If you are serious about precision) should be the best two stage you can afford. It is equally as important to precision as the barrel and upper receiver.

In my SPR, I started out with a vanilla ALG milspec, then "upgraded" to a NiB coated ALG ACT single stage, then a G2S, then a SSA, then a SSA-E, all in the same rifle.  When I first began shooting, the trigger would not have made much practical difference, now I get a tiny bit annoyed when I shoot one rifle with the SSA and then the other with the SSA-E.  Even though the difference between the SSA and SSA-E are minuscule, it's enough of a difference to tighten my groups by at least .25moa.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

It's the opposite of dearth.  Duhh.

Sorry, OP…Every time I hear the word ‘plethora’, I think of El Guapo. I can’t help it. 

Carry on with the SPR build…I’ll stop derailing it! 

DE4D42E0-DEFA-4362-AA07-C2E5DADD3109.jpeg

• Like 1

Whippoorwill! Whippoorwill!!
Look up here, Look up here, Look up here!

I went with an 18” Stealth Barreled LaRue Ultimate Upper kit with their 2 stage trigger. At the time it was under $800 and includes everything you need except the lower. Then LaRue ended up selling their billet lowers to anyone that bought a UU kit for under $200.

I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 optic, Modlight OKW Scout light, and an offset RMR.

It’s stupid accurate and soft shooting.

GtmYpr4.jpg

(Early photo before I added the light)

16 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I went with an 18” Stealth Barreled LaRue Ultimate Upper kit with their 2 stage trigger. At the time it was under $800 and includes everything you need except the lower. Then LaRue ended up selling their billet lowers to anyone that bought a UU kit for under $200.

I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-16 optic, Modlight OKW Scout light, and an offset RMR.

GtmYpr4.jpg

I'm building around my optic & mount, because I already have it (Trijicon Accupower 1-8x with an ADM mount).

I was going to 18" to get a rifle length gas system in a Nitride barrel. I found a 16" with a rifle gas system, but it's phosphate with a chrome lined barrel. I'm not a big fan of phosphate and I don't want a stainless finish. 

18" Rifle Length (Nitride)

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-core-series-rifle-gas/?v=7516fd43adaa

16" mid-length (Nitride)

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hybrid-barrel-mid-length-gas-nitride/?v=7516fd43adaa

16 Gas length (phosphate CL)

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hybrid-barrel-rifle-gas-chrome-lined/?v=7516fd43adaa

These are the barrels I'm looking at. If I'm going mid-length should I go 14.5" and pin Weld the comp on?

10 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

When a person is building a SPR,  what are your expiation's of the rifle's performance. Tack driver @ 200yds.

Tack driver out to 200 is good. Man sized out to 500 yds, maneuverable for CQB, and will work when I need it. 

On 6/19/2022 at 5:06 PM, High Exposure said:

GtmYpr4.jpg

Looks good, What do you think it weighs