MartyZ

Holster Recomendations

Now that we have the SCOTUS decision, and most if not all of us will be applying for their CCW permits eventually. I think it's time to start shopping for holsters. Let's keep this thread to questions and answers/recommendations. I would prefer this thread does not end up in the 1A lounge.

I'll start:

What is a good IWB holster for a VP9 with TLR-7A. I am a big guy so appendix carry is out of the question, I want a tuckable strong side IWB holster moderately priced. Any suggestions?

37 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

What is a good IWB holster for a VP9 with TLR-7A. I am a big guy so appendix carry is out of the question, I want a tuckable strong side IWB holster moderately priced. Any suggestions?

That's not a common config - you may have to go custom with that.  Without the Light on, I'd go with a Crossbreed Reckoning.  

https://www.crossbreedholsters.com/the-reckoning-holster.html

• Agree 1

I have bought a few different holsters over the years. Some for competition and some for carry.

The most comfortable IWB style I find is the leather/kydex hybrid holsters. I have a couple of Comp-tac MTAC holsters which are great but do not accommodate a light.

I recently got a Cross Breed LD2.0 for my Glock 19 with TLR-1HL which carries very nicely too, but they don't list one for a VP9.

I am less in favor of the Bravo Concealment holsters as the sweat guard is very narrow and I find the rear sight digs into me too much.

• Informative 1

23 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

I just checked all 3 sites, nothing for vp9 with tlr-7a.

I did find 1 site, full custom, expensive, but seams to fit my needs. Have no idea what the quality is though.

https://legacyfirearmsco.com/light-bearing-ares-iwb/

I saw that but I also agree with Stu - the most comfortable are the Leather/Kydex hybrid holsters.  

26 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

Their website hasn't been updated in forever - are they even still around?

If so, they look ok - but I would get better clips than the loops.

JM Custom Kydex

https://www.jmcustomkydex.com

/thread

Seriously. I wear a holster everyday all day.  I have boxes of unused holsters for all the big name manufacturers. For non-appendix IWB or for concealable OWB (non—duty), there is nothing no one making a better holster than JMCK.

A VP9 w/TLR7 isn’t common, so you will have a wait (I think 9-11 weeks is their reported time)  but it will be worth it.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I have used the following for CCW in other states and training in NJ:

1. Craft holsters- Awesome leather holsters made in Europe

2. Bravo Concealment- good stuff for CCW and training. Simple and cheap.

3. Galloway precision holsters- good for CCW in Florida, I used their appendix holster.

I will be looking into either craft holsters or kydex holster solutions as i recently starting running comps. 

BTW, thank you  MartyZ for starting this thread! An armed society is a polite society!

I just looked at JMCK, they are cheaper then legacy by $30, but functionaly I don't see a difference, they are both solid kydex. But their lead time is 30 business days.

Still looking for a hybrid, but these 2 are definately contenders.

3 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

You're already carrying a full size gun with the VP9 - you may want to not limit yourself with the TLR7 light - there are many more IWB holsters out there for a VP9 that will fit better without the light.  

Ok, This makes no sense. The addition of a WML is never a detractor, it is always an asset. All guns carried for defense should have WMLs IMO.

Get a holster that accepts the gun and the light. The TLR7a is less than 2.5oz, doesn’t increase the overall length of the pistol, and increases your ability in low light condition (where the majority of self defense issues occurs) by a million %.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, High Exposure said:

Ok, This makes no sense. The addition of a WML is never a detractor, it is always an asset. All guns carried for defense should have WMLs IMO.

Get a holster that accepts the gun and the light. The TLR7a is less than 2.5oz, doesn’t increase the overall length of the pistol, and increases your ability in low light condition (where the majority of self defense issues occurs) by a million %. 

It was more of a limit on proper holster choices....... If the choice is between a reliable comfortable holster without the light, and a barely-functional uncomfortable holster with a WML on - I'd most likely go for the holster without a light first until I find a good one that fits well.

• Agree 2

The mission drives the gear train.

Make smart choices that work for you and your gear. Don’t set yourself up to be at a disadvantage. 

Specifically, there are quality options at affordable prices available for exactly what the OP wants.  There is no need to compromise or buy twice here. 

12 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

It was more of a limit on proper holster choices....... If the choice is between a reliable comfortable holster without the light, and a barely-functional uncomfortable holster with a WML on - I'd most likely go for the holster without a light first until I find a good one that fits well.

So I do have a blade-tech total eclipse IWB/OWB holster now, which has wings similar to a hybrid holster. it is thin plastic so it does curve around to conform to my body, but it is super uncomfortable in all position. If a hybrid holster has similar characteristics then it's not for me.

20220624_151641.thumb.jpg.2d00af3e0cf9b69c1f10503667e19e60.jpg 

Edit: I know, it look like i'm flagging myself. I checked it 5 times before taking the photo. And i'm sitting on a chair so it's actually point at the floor. 

55 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Don’t forget a good, CCW belt. That makes ALL the difference in the world over your standard, run of the mill, ‘keep my pants from falling down’ belt.

A novice at CC here.  Sharing what I have acquired in the past for CC, including gunbelts. Hopefully will give some of you some ideas.

About four years ago, when for a very short time I was able to conceal carry in PA using my Texas non-resident permit; I equipped myself for concealed carry in the hope that we would one day be able to carry here in NJ.   I had exactly ONE glorious day of concealed carry in PA before they stopped recognizing my Texas permit, lol.  However I have continued to periodically take training and practice shooting from the holster. 

Here is what I purchased at the time and will be my initial setup for concealed carry here.  Will adapt to suit as I get some CC experience.

I purchased two gun belts from BigFoot gunbelts.  https://gunbelts.com.    Excellent quality and a must as the OP indicated. 

I purchased the following model belt in two sizes.  One was  size 36 for use with my regular jeans and OWB holster.  The other was size 38 for use with the next size up jeans for IWB carry.   Product was "Leather Gun Belt (14oz)   with Steel Core Belt Size38  ColorBlack  Buckle and Snaps Finish Flat Black  Product# GB14C-38-BL-FB."

The holsters I own are as follows.  Once I obtain my NJ CC permit, will be trying these in ernest to see what works best for me.  So far have mostly used my Vedder LightDraw OWB holster. 

Brand Type Description IWB or OWB Hybrid or Kydex Firearm Make and Model Comment
Alien Gear Holster Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB Hybrid Glock 19  
Alien Gear Shell G26 Shell for Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 holster IWB Hybrid Glock 26 Spare shell
Vedder Holster LightTuck IWB Kydex Glock 26  
Vedder Holster LightTuck IWB Kydex Glock 43  
Vedder Holster LightDraw OWB Kydex Glock 19 G26 also fits.
Fobus Holster Fobus Evolution  OWB Kydex S&W M&P 22 (Walther made)

The primary firearm I plan to qualify with will be my Glock 26.  Secondarily perhaps my Glock 19 and/or Glock 43.  Albeat the Glock 43 single stack is painful to shoot due to arthritis in my hand.

(I do not intend to use my M&P 22 for CC.  Listed it in case anyone has that model and is looking for an OWB holster that fits it.)

ok.

either sig 227 or beretta 92. those are most likely gonna be my carry guns. right now, i only own serpas for either of those. what's recommended for iwb for either of those? i do all of my training with the beretta, but from owb hip position. so i'm gonna take the op's question slightly farther........does anyone recommend a different iwb carry positionn than hip?

57 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

The primary firearm I plan to qualify with will be my Glock 26.  Secondarily perhaps my Glock 19 and/or Glock 43.  Albeat the Glock 43 single stack is painful to shoot due to arthritis in my hand.

Try Talon grips on it - that may help it feel better.  I know my G48 felt a bit slippery in my hand but then I put on the talon grips and they're rock solid.

7 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Try Talon grips on it - that may help it feel better.  I know my G48 felt a bit slippery in my hand but then I put on the talon grips and they're rock solid.

Thanks, great suggestion.  I do have Talon grips on mine and glad I installed them.  They have held up perfectly. However I have large hands and even with it, the G43's slim profile directly impacts the base of my thumb where the arthritis is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

ok.

either sig 227 or beretta 92. those are most likely gonna be my carry guns. right now, i only own serpas for either of those. what's recommended for iwb for either of those? i do all of my training with the beretta, but from owb hip position. so i'm gonna take the op's question slightly farther........does anyone recommend a different iwb carry positionn than hip?

I like AIWB (Appendix In the Waist Band) but it took me a long time to get there. I’ve been carrying a gun either concealed or open (duty holsters) everyday for 19 years now. I’ve taken many classes by some of the best firearms trainers in the world - a lot of them covering concealed carry. I have tried a lot of techniques and equipment and I have gains a lot of experience to develop my carry system. 

However - what works for me may not work for you. Finding what works is a journey.  I’ll also say this - If you don’t have a box of holsters you don’t like, you may be missing something. 

The only shortcut I can give you is to reinforce how important a good GUNbelt is. It’s initially more important than the holster.

I’m a right handed shooter. I started in a leather OWB holster at 3 o’clock in an FBI cant. From there I went to a 4o’clock, then IWB, then back to 3 o’clock in a 0 cant holster.

My current carry is this:
• Ares gear Aegis Belt (2” bigger than normal)
• Tenicor Sagax Lux (AIWB) for a G19 or G48 with TLR7a
• NeoMag pocket mag carrier in left front pocket

It works for me.

Think of CCW as a system. It’s also a commitment - especially IWB. If you make smart choices in clothes and equipment, it makes it a lot easier.

Experimentation will be key - the Sig and the 92 may not be ideal for AIWB carry. 

Ditch the Serpa. Seriously. They are terrible holsters. I ban them on my ranges. You can get a Safariland holster for like $10 more than a SERPA.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Terrible idea for IWB carry in my experience. Sticks to your shirt and prints more and is rough against your skin which rubs uncomfortably and drags on the draw. If anything, a decent stipple job and you can knock it down with some sandpaper/emery cloth if it’s still too sharp.

19 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Terrible idea for IWB carry in my experience. Sticks to your shirt and prints more and is rough against your skin which rubs uncomfortably and drags on the draw. If anything, a decent stipple job and you can knock it down with some sandpaper/emery cloth if it’s still too sharp.

Even the granular type grips?  It's not rubbery feeling at all...

40 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Even the granular type grips?  It's not rubbery feeling at all...

They are even worse.

My hands sweat a lot. My duty guns have Silica Carbide on the grips - the grips looks like they were dipped in liquid skateboard tape. Basically paint the grip in 10 minute two part epoxy and sprinkle it with 60-90 grit silica carbide sand blasting media. About $15 in supplies from Amazon and 20 minutes of work. Let it sit over night and you are good to go - there are Plenty of YouTube videos out there show you how how if you are interested and even slightly arts and crafty.

Anyway - it’s great for shooting and great for OWB/Duty carry but for CCW - it’s a no go.

I tried Talon grips, both kinds - rubber and sand. Same issues - sticks to clothes so they don’t “flow” naturally when you move making the holstered gun very noticible, and it rubs your skin raw or drags on an undershirt very noticeably messing with your draw.

Stippling is expensive and time consuming, but it is the way - just don’t go too aggressive. Some places will even alter the pattern or aggressiveness of the stippling from side to side and front to back on the grip to meet your preferences based on your carry style and cover garments.

23 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I like AIWB but it took me a long time to get there. I’ve been carrying a gun either concealed or open (duty) everyday for 19 years now. I’ve taken many classes by some of the best firearms trainers in the world. I have learned a lot. But what works for me may not work for you. Finding what works is a journey.  I’ll also say this - If you don’t have a box of holsters you don’t like, you may be missing something. 

The only shortcut I can give you is to reinforce how important a good GUNbelt is. It’s initially more important than the holster.

I’m a right handed shooter. I started in a leather OWB holster at 3 o’clock in an FBI cant. From there I went to a 4o’clock, then IWB, then back to 3 o’clock in a 0 cant holster.

My current carry is this:
• Ares gear Aegis Belt (2” bigger than normal)
• Tenicor Sagax Lux (AIWB) for a G19 or G48 with TLR7a
• NeoMag pocket mag carrier in left front pocket

It works for me.

Experimentation will be key - the Sig and the 92 may not be ideal for that Kind of carry. 

Ditch the Serpa. Seriously. They are terrible holsters. I ban them on my ranges. You can get a Safariland holster for like $10 more than a SERPA.

thanks. i've gotta experiment with those yet. i haven't tried putting either of my choices iwb yet either. you and others mentioned light bearing holsters. i get that you may need that for duty, but do we really think that's something we'll need and how do we fit those iwb? i don't mean to sound stupid.......

i should add,.,,,,,i'm left handed. when i carry at work, i carry a sr9c for now, but can't find a holster that lets me get a full comfortable grip on it easily. i've had it at my left hip, i've had it over my left front....like apendix but on left side...and at apendix, which was actually most comfortable, but still hard to grip properly........