MartyZ

Holster Recomendations

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Impossible to diagnose via messages. What holster? 

I will say when carrying AIWB, your initial touch on the pistol is more thumb clawing over rear sight and less of a traditional pluck from the holster with thumb between body and grip.

tried 3 for that. had a crossbreed clone, a desantis leather and right now, an aliengear. the desantis and aliengear are actually very comfortable with the only problem.

maybe i am trying to grip it wrong, cause i keep trying to grab it same as owb. most times, my trigger finger ends up riding up on top of the slide.

20 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:
Brand Type Description IWB or OWB Hybrid or Kydex Firearm Make and Model Comment
Alien Gear Holster Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 IWB Hybrid Glock 19  
Alien Gear Shell G26 Shell for Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3.0 holster IWB Hybrid Glock 26 Spare shell

FWIW I have this combo for the last 4 years and love it.  Very comfortable, even while driving.  I am 6'5" 280.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

how about small of back carry? Any thoughts on that?

2nd worst way to carry. Proceeded by any carry style without a holster and closely followed by a shoulder holster.

SOB is slow, hard to defend from a grab, hard to conceal, you have a high percentage chance to flag part of your body when you draw, significant risk of injury of pushed or voluntarily move backwards and fall on the holstered gun, very uncomfortable and almost impossible to get to quickly when sitting - especially driving. 

May look cool in the movies but that’s about it.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Looking at everything here... those Alien Gear holsters look really nice. Right now, my best carry option is my PPK/S ...

I also gained ... a few pounds. What do you guys think of something like this?  ComfortTac Ultimate Belly Band Gun Holster for Concealed Carry

It seems like I can wear that with just about anything. Maybe will make me look thinner. :D Otherwise this Alien Gear PPK/S IWB holster seems really nice. It also seems easier to draw.

5 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

2nd worst way to carry. Proceeded by any carry style without a holster and closely followed by a shoulder holster.

SOB is slow, hard to defend from a grab, hard to conceal, you have a high percentage chance to flag part of your body when you draw, significant risk of injury of pushed or voluntarily move backwards and fall on the holstered gun, very uncomfortable and almost impossible to get to quickly when sitting - especially driving. 

May look cool in the movies but that’s about it.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know

Well, I pulled the trigger, ordered an IWB Holster, OWB Paddle holster, and a IWB mag holder from legacy firearms. They are expensive but they have good reviews on youtube and they were the only company that I have been able to find to have exactly what I needed, with a 30 business day turnaround. They also started their July 4th sale, 17.76% off all orders.

• Like 1

anyone got experience or opinions on bigfoot gun belts?

https://gunbelts.com/

also, any opinions on these holsters? i'm leaning to iwb because i'm a skinny sop. dt johnnyb axman and a couple others on here could confirm that. that makes me think that iwb will give me best concealment when out and about.

pardon the amazon link......this one i'd hafta use the g19, and hope it clears the optic.

https://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Inside-Pants-Concealment-Holster/dp/B00T8K17HS?th=1&psc=1

again, it looks like i'd hafta go glock. no option for the 92, and i can't find crap for a 227.

https://safariland.com/collections/concealment/products/model-575-iwb-gls-pro-fit-holster-model_575

On 6/24/2022 at 11:52 AM, MartyZ said:

Ok, so if I dump the light then I can go with then I can go with the cross breed supertuck. I also looked at the MTAC but it appears to be thicker then the supertuck. Anyone have experience with either?

I have a couple of MTACs. I like them. I also have a Cross Breed LDS2.0 which is almost as good quality-wise, but does accommodate a light. MTACs do not allow for a light.

Bear in mind a light is essential for positive target identification. If you don't have a WML you need to carry a flashlight and know how to use it in conjunction with a handgun if you want to maximize your chances of freedom after a shooting. "I shot at the shadow" or "I thought it was him" is not a good legal defense.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:39 AM, MartyZ said:

how about small of back carry? Any thoughts on that?

The worst option apart from leaving it on the toilet cistern when you exit the bathroom.

The worst position for weapon retention

The worst position if you get knocked on your back or slip and fall (injury)

The farthest place to reach for your draw

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Lawnmower2021 said:

I'm starting to consider pocket carry... is that something that flies for the qualifications?

While you would want to be proficient with whatever means of carry you choose, I haven't seen anything to indicate you can't change means of carry after you qualify...only that you can't change guns.

So, I'd think strong side, OWB under a concealment garment would be most straightforward for qualification, after that you can change it up if you want.

Don't pocket carry without a pocket holster to keep the trigger covered.

• Thanks 1

I'm a pretty lean guy with bony hips, so I'm planning appendix IWB.  I've tried other positions but printing is pretty obvious.

I have a cheap/functional clip holster like this:

aiwb-wedge.jpg?t=1520347003&f=1&nofb=1

Not sure if I should get something more elaborate or just stick with this for a while and pick up a different one later when I get some actual experience carrying.

If you are set on carrying that style of holster, spend $5 and get a Discreet Carry Concepts Monoblock. Huge improvement over that plastic clip, especially if carrying AIWB.

https://discreetcarryconcepts.com/DCC-Monoblock-Gear-Clips™-c44562125

You may also want to experiment with making a wedge of you are considering AIWB. Do a Google search for AIWB Holster Wedge and you will see lots of ideas and some good YouTube vids.

• Agree 1

couple things. gonna try either aliengear left handed version of apendix iwb....or might try one of the garret holsters. either way........i've been thinking more on this. the beretta or sig are both a bad idea i think to carry that way. gonna go with the g19.

other thing.....i just got my concealable vest. tried it on for size...perfect fit, and light. but.........knowing many have talked about armor on here......that's something to take into consideration. with this vest, iwb is out the window.

Has anyone tried the holsters from Dale Fricke? I am left handed and have a G48 MOS with the recover tactical rail and a TLR-7. I would like to carry strong side AIWB with a tucked in shirt. I will try one of his holsters and get a mag carrier to go with it. The only concern I have is taking the qual with a IWB holster, it seems to me that it adds another layer of learning that I need to do. Obviously I need to train with what I'd like to carry, but I don't want to deal with that at the qualification.

Oh, and by the way, hello to everyone again, it's been a while...

8 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i just got a kydex holster from "we the people" for my 92. love it so far. i can hide that honkin' big gun just as easily as i could hide the sr9c, and a ton more comfortably.

:zzthiwwop:

8 hours ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

Has anyone tried the holsters from Dale Fricke? I am left handed and have a G48 MOS with the recover tactical rail and a TLR-7. I would like to carry strong side AIWB with a tucked in shirt. I will try one of his holsters and get a mag carrier to go with it. The only concern I have is taking the qual with a IWB holster, it seems to me that it adds another layer of learning that I need to do. Obviously I need to train with what I'd like to carry, but I don't want to deal with that at the qualification.

Practice with your IWB holster.  I qual'd with my G48 using a Crossbreed Reckoning with a tucked in base layer underneath.  I could have used an outer garment too but why bother - it's just for the qual, where you focus on the draw and fire.  I was able to complete all of the courses of fire within the time limits.  You don't have to speed re-holster - take your time with re-holstering.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

They make good stuff.

Before JM Custom Kydex and Tenicor (the two best IWB/AIWB holster makers out there for now, IMO) he was my go to guy for a lot of IWB/AIWB. I ended up offloading them to a buddy.

10 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

:zzthiwwop:

Practice with your IWB holster.  I qual'd with my G48 using a Crossbreed Reckoning with a tucked in base layer underneath.  I could have used an outer garment too but why bother - it's just for the qual, where you focus on the draw and fire.  I was able to complete all of the courses of fire within the time limits.  You don't have to speed re-holster - take your time with re-holstering.  

i'll snap a pic tonight. just got one for the g19 from tulster. optic ready and tuckable. i'll see how that one feels too.

26 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

They make good stuff.

Before JM Custom Kydex and Tenicor (the two best IWB/AIWB holster makers out there for now, IMO) he was my go to guy for a lot of IWB/AIWB. I ended up offloading them to a buddy.

Thanks! I remembered hearing his name a few years ago, and that people were very happy. I already mailed my rail adapter to him so he can make it fit perfectly. I’ll post pics when I get it.